Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Unknown Exhaust Header

I did a bit of an impulse buy today and got this 2nd hand exhaust manifold/header at a bargain price. Can someone identify it? It's definitely a 4-2-1 design.

I plan on installing it, but not sure if it'll fit the OEM heat shield. Any ideas? Will I have to heat wrap it? Or should I just install it as is and pray it doesn't overheat my engine bay?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Don't know who the manufacturer is, but in regards to the heat shield, you will be fine to go without it. Just keep your engine bay free of leaves. Most aftermarket headers cannot be run w/ the oem heat shield and are fine
Old 09-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Thanks for the response! By leaves do you mean flammable materials?

Also, with a bit more research, it looks like what I've got on my hands is a Weapon R header. The tag must have fallen off somehow.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Looks to be. On yours, you can see the ghost of the tack welds used to affix the tag and they are in the exact spot Weapon R places it.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Thanks for the response! By leaves do you mean flammable materials?

Also, with a bit more research, it looks like what I've got on my hands is a Weapon R header. The tag must have fallen off somehow.
yup, just keep any flammable debris from building up inside your engine bay. Likely not a problem for someone who is installing their own header as the chances are high that you inspect the engine bay quite often. But most day to day drivers rarely look inside their engine bay and if they park under a tree they can build up a lot of crap inside there.

I've noticed no excess heat or any issues since installing my DC header which is heat shield free. When you're finished the install just make sure you re install the O2 sensor bracket to the back of the valve cover, this will keep the wire from melting on the header
Old 09-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I've noticed no excess heat or any issues since installing my DC header which is heat shield free. When you're finished the install just make sure you re install the O2 sensor bracket to the back of the valve cover, this will keep the wire from melting on the header
Cool! Thanks for the tips! I'll keep them for reference when installing it.

However, isn't your DC header ceramic coated? I thought that that type of coating reduces the radiant heat from the exhaust gasses passing through. Mine is just plain stainless (no coating at all I don't think) hence better heat transfer properties, and a warmer engine bay.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
tmontague

Yes it is ceramic, but that being said it still gets crazy hot
Old 09-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how this baby sounds!!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: Scion FRS RS2, ‘21 Crosstrek
I've run my ceramic coated DC header for years without the heat shield. No issues.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote