Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
Dashcam

Anyone use a dashcam in their Yaris? How do you have it rigged up? Any pictures?
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Here's mine, I am using the G1W-C with a customized polarized lens

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_67201.html

ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #3
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
I use a GoPro Hero 4 mounted ontop of the center cluster while driving, on top of having a dvr rearview mirror that records front and back while parked.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
Here's mine, I am using the G1W-C with a customized polarized lens

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_67201.html

I want one....wish I would of had one when the piece of drainage pipe blew off the landfill truck and I hit it....ruining my front bumper....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I want one....wish I would of had one when the piece of drainage pipe blew off the landfill truck and I hit it....ruining my front bumper....
you should get one, it's good to get that peace of mind when your car is parked or when driving :) adds an extra eye witness
Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
Did you run the wiring into the headliner? Did you use the existing cigarette lighter or wire up your own?

On my wife's car (she has a G1W too) we just ran the wiring into the headliner between the windshield and headliner, down the side of the seal of the passenger door, and into the cigarette lighter. Luckily her car has two outlets so we can charge phones and run the camera.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
I have a G90 on my Yaris, however it's not working at the moment. The most difficult part was mounting the dashcam on the black dotted area behind the rearview mirror. I had to use gps dashboard plates adhesive.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Did you run the wiring into the headliner? Did you use the existing cigarette lighter or wire up your own?

On my wife's car (she has a G1W too) we just ran the wiring into the headliner between the windshield and headliner, down the side of the seal of the passenger door, and into the cigarette lighter. Luckily her car has two outlets so we can charge phones and run the camera.
around headliner, than down to the fuse box where I have harwired it with a power magic pro
Old 09-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
I installed a base G1W yesterday in my Yaris, and the included power cord was plenty long by about one foot extra (coiled it up under the dash). I mounted the camera, using the provided suction cup, just below the black dots behind the rear view mirror. Then ran the cord up, then to the right (US passenger's side) pushing it up under the headliner. Then to the door frame, then down just under the inside-facing portion of light gray vinyl gap sealer strip. Then under/between the kick panel and bezel on the right side. Then across the dash's edge, just above the floor -- there were even three unused tabs there where twist-ties can support the wire. Then again behind the bezel and to near the lighter plug. Except at both ends, all the power cord is hidden.

My G1W came with a rather large plug-in transformer on the end of the power line -- apparently the unit needs 5V, not 12V. It has a red LED that's illuminated whenever the car's on.

I don't normally need the lighter plug for anything else, so this works for me. The G1W has a small battery in it, enough to shut it down if unplugged (and when the car routinely shuts off). I read that this battery needs periodic replacing, though.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
09GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5 door
G1W-C here, too. Great dashcam, cheap and easy to use. ucsmfu, the PMP catches walking past or just for driving?
09GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
I have installed a A118C dashcam from spytec. It's been on a few months and it's working great so far. I hardwired it and the mount is staying on strong. I'm planning on installing a rear cam as well because you never know.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #12
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09GLH View Post
G1W-C here, too. Great dashcam, cheap and easy to use. ucsmfu, the PMP catches walking past or just for driving?
catches everything, even when your car is turned off. It regulates car battery so it doesn't drain :)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I installed an A118 on my car a few weeks ago. I chose it because of the wide angle lens, it fits the Yaris well, and is less visible than others. Audio isn't great, but good enough to catch what a dashcam needs to catch. My idea of dashcams is you only want them to record the other guy, not you as much as possible. No point showing your insurance company your speedo or GPS and have them not cover you because you were doing 5kph over the limit when someone blew a red light.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote