Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
ToyoZZZ

Drives: 2014 Yaris
suspect steering arm in vibrations @ 40-60 mph and some other things....

hi everyone,

i was wondering if a steering arm may cause shaking of the steering wheel, vibration and uneven tire wear? Because before I had unbalanced wheels, and I thought that this causes these symptoms. but recently i did balancing, and i am pretty sure that now everything's fine with the wheels. so i thought that it is the steering arm, driver's side... wondering if that makes sense....

ps my yaris is 2013 if that matters...
thanx...
ToyoZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
wheel balance balancing misses bent rims bad tire

Sometimes or often balancing misses that the rim is bent or tire is uneven. (The machine is blind to hop and wobble. Operator needs to catch this visually. I bought a Superbeetle from a buddy who tried everything to stop a front end vibration. I took it to a garage for balancing and asked to watch. Square wheel. This 2007 Yaris had 49 psi in a front tire on a slightly dinged OEM 14" steelie rim...disconcerting shudder I didn't mention on test drive w/ prior owner.)
Now, insurance usually won't let you watch.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #3
ToyoZZZ

thanks for replying, man... i decided to give it a try and get a new steering arm to replace what i've got (https://www.carid.com/steering-arms/ it's inexpensive, anyways, so why no...) and then will go from there.. cause this vibration drives me nuts, and even worse that i cannot determine where is it coming from.... well, obviously wheels+suspension, but cannot determine the exact reason yet...

Last edited by ToyoZZZ; 02-03-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoZZZ View Post
thanks for replying, man... i decided to give it a try and get a new steering arm to replace what i've got (it's inexpensive, anyways, so why no...) and then will go from there.. cause this vibration drives me nuts, and even worse that i cannot determine where is it coming from.... well, obviously wheels+suspension, but cannot determine the exact reason yet...
why not find the real problem before throwing parts at it ..have tech test drive and go from there .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
ToyoZZZ

Also makes sense... If I don't manage to fix it by myself, then will have to ask my local shop look into it... Cheers!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
steering arm tie rod upper lower control arm rack wheel column Macpherson

what is a "steering arm?"
(I will later check Shop Manual for Mind of Toyota lingo on front suspension.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote