Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Crazy 5.1 Stereo?

Now, back in the day when the Yaris wasnt even made, and all I knew was the Fit...I had an idea, because of the seat configuration. I was going to make basically a Home Theatre in the FIT. Hooking in a built in dash DVD player, and attempting to route 5.1 Surround Sound throughout the vehicle, using the usual all-in-one speaker setup, and of course a decent sub in the back to keep it all Dolby-fied.

Now would this be still practicle?
5.1 Yaris would be a good project...
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sure, why not? Many in-dash DVD players now have DTS or Dolby Digital processing, I know Pioneer has an add-on multichannel decoder for my head unit, which would give you all the outputs necessary... Then plug it into a couple of multichannel amps, and you're good to go. Only problem I can foresee is the placement of the center speaker...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Sabretooth
37HSSV

I was thinking build a housing down in the storage area, next to the shifter...
A little low, but it might do the trick.

but this is coming form the guy who plans to have more techno stuff in the Yaris than in his house!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hey my dad called my car the "gadgetmobile" the first time he saw it, I took it as a compliment Go for it!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
if you have more tech stuff in your car that your house, make sure you better have a pretty decent alarm system!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Only problem I can foresee is the placement of the center speaker...
Here we go- my car. This is an Alpine 1 DIN centre speaker with a 1 DIN Panasonic DVD deck with 5.1 decoding.

Another possibility is putting one 3.5 inch or 4 inch speaker in the space just in front of the odometer. That would be great if you wanted to use a 2 DIN deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centre.jpg (99.6 KB, 95 views)
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
earljail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I was thinking build a housing down in the storage area, next to the shifter...
It would fit, but it would "sound" really low, because all the voices in a movie would be coming from so low down.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #8
Sabretooth
37HSSV

I like that setup, might try and get an estimate for a system installed sometime. probably looking into the 2500-3000 range for such a setup, labor and all.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
earljail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I like that setup, might try and get an estimate for a system installed sometime. probably looking into the 2500-3000 range for such a setup, labor and all.
2500-3000 is probably a reasonable price, as long as you don't want top-end everything. Just pick out a deck by looking at all the manufacturers' websites, because then you'll know which decks have the 5.1 decoding built-in. Sure you can get cheap decks, but they won't have surround. Conversely, Alpine decks are sweet-looking, reliable, but you need to buy a special amp to get surround.

The deck I have in the picture only has a 4 channel built-in amplifier(4x40w), so you need at least two amps, one for a sub, and one for a centre channel speaker.

And please don't defeat the safety switch, which is meant to prevent you from watching DVDs while driving. I don't buy some peoples' stories, "It's only for my buddy to watch while I drive him around." Keep everybody on the road safe.

Hope you can get everything for your budget. Good luck.