Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #1927
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
SQcomp, tell us a little bit about your new Tweeter install? aiming is very particular and clever...

D.

Preface:

Next time I do this, I'll make these completely out of plastic. This bonding different materials aggravates me to no end because of the different properties between the different substrates. Blah blah blah...anyway...

The semi horn loading of these pillars seems to add some width and some definite height that I have only experienced with the pillar mounted setup like my last setup. Being much more on axis, I have a hell of an ability to play these tweeters lower as well as hear more definition from said tweeters versus my last pillar setup. Playing the tweeters lower at this particular location keeps the height way up versus being dragged down by the location of the mids in the kicks.

...that and I HAD to do something different that Derick after all...

It's all really an experiment. Think about the auditory response you get when you cup your hands near your ears. You can hear things differently. I'm simply playing around with the response of the tweeters by doing this.

I'm also burning time until I take on my next vehicle project...a 1989 Toyota MR2 with a "lightly modded" 3SGTE from a friend and engine builder in kiwiland...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1928
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Nice work Sq !

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #1929
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
This is so awesome!!! Wish I had your telent
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #1930
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
More detail? box sf? amp? where is it located?

can't you just lower the gains?

D.
i removed it completely a long time ago. It is just too big and old. Just asking to see if you know of any smaller high quality subs.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #1931
_S7V7N_

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i removed it completely a long time ago. It is just too big and old. Just asking to see if you know of any smaller high quality subs.
If you don't mind me asking what type of headunit and or front speakers are you currently running ?

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #1932
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
While you sure can find quality 8 inch subs.. generally a decent 10 inch driver is still a better investment in terms of price/sq/volume of the enclosure/spl.. It is not a problem to find a decent 10 inch sub which only needs .5 ft3

In case of most 8 inch drivers you would need a pair or a vented box which will not be smaller than 0.5ft3

Nice SQ sub - works well in 14-15 liters which is a pretty small enclosure
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...xls-subwoofer/
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #1933
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
The semi horn loading of these pillars seems to add some width and some definite height that I have only experienced with the pillar mounted setup like my last setup. Being much more on axis, I have a hell of an ability to play these tweeters lower as well as hear more definition from said tweeters versus my last pillar setup. Playing the tweeters lower at this particular location keeps the height way up versus being dragged down by the location of the mids in the kicks.

...that and I HAD to do something different that Derick after all...
Yes your tweeters can play very low like a champ.

I can tell you know what you are doing, and it's very clever aiming (your tweeter install) still don't see the Dash Mat? don't you get a bunch of reflections from the windshield? I guess you are using these in your favor to obtain a better width any way!

I did try at some point playing my tweeters low but didn't work for me, since my Mids are more set apart from each other than the tweeters

(remember I cut into the a-frame to fit the magnet) and have them almost flush and providing a location "as far forward and as far from each other" making the Mids play more like a point source [from 160Hz to 10kHz] my stage width benefits from that, and keeps a good height! about my nose or say a couple of inches above the speedometer cluster, that to me feels very natural.

I've been thinking about modifying the left tweeter aiming and position [similar to what I did with the Mids where from my point of view both drivers look the same], by cutting deep into the a-pillar so the tweeter sit as far left as possible, maybe combined with the spheres I had before treating diffractions with the soft curbs. Or some thing like that.

I would like you to do a few tests, (I all ready did) and tell me what you get:

1-Playing the track left, center, right mute the tweeters and tell me if your center image shifts slightly to one side,

2-Playing the track left, center, right mute the tweeters and lows, does your center image moves right or left a few inches?

3-Mute the tweeters and play Mids (L4se) all the way up "tweeter less"!

D.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #1934
derickveliz2

BTW, using sqcomp photo I did an image trying to visualize a front stage, now imagine that this is an hologram and each artist it's playing live music! and you can feel and localize each individual's position in the stage.

D.

Last edited by derickveliz2; 04-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #1935
derickveliz2

At why?

Are you still in the cape?

If so,... I go to Dartmouth MA, once a week, that's not far away from the cape! I'll be more than happy to let you try any of my subwoofers.

D.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #1936
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post

That peerless works in almost the same enclosure of one of my Kicker Solo-baric 10" in a sealed box of 0.66 cf But you need a lot of power to make them come alive!

There is an Alpine SWR-843D Type-R 8" Subwoofer with a big reputation in the DIYMA that looks very promising in a small box, from $100 to $150 it's not bad either.

TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!!

D.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1937
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

D,

Funny thing...I was doing all of what you were asking me to do just last night. I was trying to figure out why exactly my image was moving out to the pillars given lower frequency.

I solved the issue (and completely changed my TA, crossover slopes, and levels) in the process.

Going back to your question, the mids are able to keep the center image BUT...given my location of the mids I like my higher freqs coming from speakers that are unblocked by legs. As we know, blocking the higher frequencies tends to take the sparkle and some detail out of the signal.

As for subwoofers, I won't even get into it with Tolm. Painting subwoofers with such a broad brush isn't the right thing to do. I have my experience and it's a lot different than his sweeping generalizations.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #1938
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
First off, thank you everyone for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
If you don't mind me asking what type of headunit and or front speakers are you currently running ?
alpine something or other i bought when i bought the sub amp and had them install it all. I think it was around $400, and it came with an ipod adapter free, which was nice. The shop ran 8 gauge wire and the h/u had a specific slot for the sub. The amp was dirt cheap 150 watt amp, i don't even know the maker, the sub was a 10" JL audio sub that came from my father's system which he bought new in the early 90's.

The other speakers are stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
While you sure can find quality 8 inch subs.. generally a decent 10 inch driver is still a better investment in terms of price/sq/volume of the enclosure/spl.. It is not a problem to find a decent 10 inch sub which only needs .5 ft3

In case of most 8 inch drivers you would need a pair or a vented box which will not be smaller than 0.5ft3

The problem wasn't the size, it was the output. 150 gave me a headache after half an hour listening, which is so annoying. So basically i am looking for something smaller that still brings out the lows yet doesn't pound it at you full time. The one you linked to looks interesting and def inexpensive, but I don't see a simple output, or if it is there, i missed it.

Found it, 150 watts. That is the problem, for me it is too much for the Yaris, which is incredibly anoying.

Quote:
At why?

Are you still in the cape?

If so,... I go to Dartmouth MA, once a week, that's not far away from the cape! I'll be more than happy to let you try any of my subwoofers.

D.
I still am, that would be cool, but I know your subs are normal sized. Even when I turned down the sub through the h/u, and the gain on the amp it still gave me a headache. So annoying. I had a 6 speaker system on my computer with an 8" sub that put out a couple hundred watts and it never gave me an issue, so I am guessing it is the small size of the Yaris interior that is the problem for me. I know just enough audio to know i you run a sub at too low a gain you can break it, so I would be looking for something that could run fine on super low watts, maybe only 50 or so. Do they even make anything like that anymore? To be honest it is the reason I haven't even bothered to think about upgrading the speakers, if i spend the money to get a good set and then can't ever listen it would frustrate me to no end.

Last edited by why?; 04-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #1939
_S7V7N_

Why? Derick had given me dibs on some Hifonics 6.5's if he still has them and if it's okay with him work something out and give them a try. I will end up going a totally different route and it may be just what you're looking for. You could probably even put them in a small enclosure and get a decent sound out of them.

Get a bit of input from D and Sq and see what they think.

And man you cannot kill a speaker by not givin it enough power, if that was the case anytime we turned down our stereo we'd be putting our speakers at risk of "blowing" . Distortion is what kills speakers, what usually happens is beginners tend to think " the amp says 100000 gigawatts" so imma crank it and get the full potential out of it". Well what usually happens is they clip the heck out of the signal and blow the sub.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1940
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Actually...take a look a amplifier clipping and some causes of...

At this point I'm using a single 8" woofer off that S2b amp. I'm definately NOT under powering it. :)

I'll probably be moving down to a single 6.5" with two passive radiators as a sub stage. I LOVE messing with passives if nothing else for the space savings...that and the cool factor.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1941
_S7V7N_

Is it a Digital Designs 8 ? Or HAT ? I flirted with the idea or ordering 2 Skar 8s in a ported box and rock em. I've heard 8's in a ported enclosure can get nassssssy.

Sq you ever messed with Cadence amps ?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #1942
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I have a DD1508 in there right now. It is more than PLENTY as far as output. Actually I have the subsonic filter on the amp going, plus the 20, 25, and 31.5 Hz on the deck is down 12 dB PLUS the level for the subwoofer is down 10 dB.

I do have it wired at 2 Ohms though.

I haven't messed with Cadence amplifiers at this point. Take a look at these subs:

http://jmhaudioconcepts.com/dadsubwoofers

It's also a good way to support the local (to you) economy. James Halter is the man for these.

Last edited by sqcomp; 04-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1943
_S7V7N_

If he can do a ported subwoofer box and subs for a good price i'd try anything once.

Heh I cranked up my system over the weekend and did a quick cruise through town, now I hear "ground pounders" cruising by showing off that Distortion !!

Ps if an amp is chrome, has flames and a neon light it has to be pushing at least 5k RMS ! Right ?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #1944
derickveliz2

Quote:
I still am, that would be cool, but I know your subs are normal sized.
I can make you change your mind and way of thinking, just by listening at the I6SW (a 6.5" woofer in a ported box) will blow your mind! not your ears. This little puppy is amazing.

We can also try...

the IDq12 in a sealed box
the 10" Bachooka
and 10" kickers

all good if installed properly, for example if I put the IDq12 in the trunk facing towards the back right corner, sounds amazing, but put in in the rear seat facing forward and it a shame, embarrassed of the woofer when playing in the rear seat facing forward

I'll replay to other comments later today, some thing going on right now at work (o:

D.