Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #181
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
And the saga continues.......................

Excellent. Glad you are not giving up. Hopefully a new Yaris owner very soon. You are only asking for another $250. Surely that's doable. Good Luck!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #182
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
I've seen this thread a few times and finally got the time to read through it. IMHO, the gas mileage part of the argument is an excuse. You don't need an excuse. You are a grown man who likes to trade cars. Nothing to be ashamed of. If you like the Yaris, and who doesn't, get it.
I had an employee that owned the Cobalt SS. At 20k, the little things started to go bad. The clips that held the front end on, didn't. The plastic in the wheel wells cracked and fell off. Every week, he'd come in with another compliant. I'm not saying that all GM cars are like this, or that your Cobalt will be like this, but I hear a lot more stories about small problems with domestic cars than imports.

I do hope that you can resolve this issue to your satisfaction. I stopped in my local dealer today and negotiated a new 3dr in Carmine red with MT- basic car for my daughter. Total price will be under 14k- out the door. Sales tax in my area is 7.375%.
I even got a Yaris World discount. She will be very happy and will be joining the festivities here soon. Good Luck!
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #183
PreciousPups4U

WOW 7.375% on a car? That's nuts. Our sales tax here is 6%, but there is a $300 cap, so the most you ever pay in $300.

If you buy a very used Kia for $5000 you pay $300 sales tax, if you buy a brand new Corvette for $70,000 you pay only $300 sales tax.

Never really paid any attention to what a bonus that is.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #184
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^^ hmmm... you're lucky. In California, we just got hit with a 1% increase in sales tax and another increase in income tax. our sales tax is now up to 9.5% in some counties

Oh, and vehicle registration fees and licenses went up too (sigh).
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #185
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
^^ hmmm... you're lucky. In California, we just got hit with a 1% increase in sales tax and another increase in income tax. our sales tax is now up to 9.5% in some counties

We get 7% on cars in RI (0% on boats, though).
luckily, I got a tax credit for my total, so i'm only paying tax on about $2500 forthe new car.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #186
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post
I've seen this thread a few times and finally got the time to read through it. IMHO, the gas mileage part of the argument is an excuse. You don't need an excuse. You are a grown man who likes to trade cars. Nothing to be ashamed of. If you like the Yaris, and who doesn't, get it.
I had an employee that owned the Cobalt SS. At 20k, the little things started to go bad. The clips that held the front end on, didn't. The plastic in the wheel wells cracked and fell off. Every week, he'd come in with another compliant. I'm not saying that all GM cars are like this, or that your Cobalt will be like this, but I hear a lot more stories about small problems with domestic cars than imports.

I do hope that you can resolve this issue to your satisfaction. I stopped in my local dealer today and negotiated a new 3dr in Carmine red with MT- basic car for my daughter. Total price will be under 14k- out the door. Sales tax in my area is 7.375%.
I even got a Yaris World discount. She will be very happy and will be joining the festivities here soon. Good Luck!
I know the gas mileage does not begin to justify this trade. I said that earlier in the thread, I believe.

You are right, I don't need any more justification other than the fact that I just plain want to trade. I do want a good deal, though.

What is a Yaris World discount? Is that something that I might be able to take advantage of?

Thanks.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #187
PreciousPups4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
We get 7% on cars in RI (0% on boats, though).
luckily, I got a tax credit for my total, so i'm only paying tax on about $2500 forthe new car.
We do pay property tax on every vehicle (and boat) every year though in addition to the registration fees/license plate. Not sure if ya'll have to pay that. Property tax varies on value of the vehicle and the area where you live. Yaris runs about $300/year plus tag fee of about $30, A luxury type car can be $1200/year (or more) plus tag fees.

Just paid for the 1999 Dodge Ram in March, $173.77. Husband's manual 2008 Yaris is due in April, $245.97 and daughter's 2008 Scion tc is due in May, $335.41.

I guess the taxes get you one way or another. Of course we have State Income Tax as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #188
PreciousPups4U

I did not "need" the Yaris either. Just wanted it. Don't regret it one bit. It's a very fun car and is my daily driver for sure, but when I need a truck I have the Ram and when I need the room/power I have the Excursion. Luckily they are both paid for.

Hey, if all it takes is a new car to make you happy and you can afford it, I say go for it.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #189
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
I've been following this thread too. It's very entertaining! I've bought 22 new cars in the last 32 years. I know what new car fever is like. I also like to play with car salesmen. Of course, I'm a bachelor.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #190
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
You want a new Yaris? Just go for it !!!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #191
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Yaris World discount- When the dealer you go to supports car shows and recognizes you from the shows you have been at before, he starts the negotiation with a small but reasonable deduction on the price of the new car as an appreciation of his loyalty. It was nice not having to argue for the extra reduction!

BTW, can't hurt to mention that you are an active member of the forum- you constantly speak with other toyota owners and wannabe toyota owners. Positive feedback goes a loooooooong way in ensuring repeat and new business
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #192
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

This MIGHT be the day, folks.

I will definitely post to let everyone know how things turn out.

Tomster
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #193
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

oh, the suspense--- it's a-killin' me!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #194
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
This MIGHT be the day, folks.

I will definitely post to let everyone know how things turn out.

Tomster
Glad to see you didn't give up.. Good luck!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #195
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
(drum rolls) ....
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #196
MauiDan

Drives: Base Sedan Auto
Hi Tom...Dan here...I just bought our 2nd Yaris Auto (no power) sedan in under 2 years. The first was an 07 Flint Mica- love the car and color..last week I bought an 09 (wife is getting the 07 and her old Taurus going to our son).
The 09 is Silver Streak Mica althoiugh another Flint Mica woulda been fine.

I'm 53. I thought this may help you.

I have never bought a car without the dealer going into holdback on it.

That said I have always bought either at the end of a model year or end of a month. I bought the 09 on 3-31-09. Better bargaining position in my humble opinion.

Now back to dealer holdback. The dealer does have more room on your cobalt because in effect if he is selling you the new yaris AT invoice (and ask to see the invoice of course) he still has approx. $275.00 which was the dealer holdback on my 09 auto sedan (with no power just conv. pkg,all weather and mats).

So if he "begs" the trade in guy to go to 8750 on your cobalt then tell him you are going to wait until May...go in on the 29th or 30th of April and tell him you will buy if he goes 8750 on the trade AND goes 200.00 into the Holdback. Or just give you 8950 for the trade and sell the car to me AT invoice.

Hope that helps Tom.

Both times I was under invoice on the Yarii because I refused to buy at or over invoice and played 3 dealers (Bermuda Triangle) against each other in a 45 mile radius. It always works for me here in upstate NY.

Good Luck.

-Dan
MauiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #197
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, I guess it's over, my friends. I thank all of you for your patience with me and for your input into this thread.

The dealer and I had come to an agreement, and I was going to trade for $100 over invoice, since this would involve a trade with another dealer 50 miles away to get the color I wanted. Otherwise, I would not have gone over invoice. I would have taken the $8500 trade-in allowance on my Cobalt.

The problem is my wife is having a fit, and when you get right down to it, the only real justification for this trade is just because I want to do it. If I were single, then I would be signing papers right now on the Yaris. I even took the afternoon off to make the deal, but at literally the last moment, I took my wife's feelings to heart and decided that I could not in good conscience go against her wishes. If there were overwhelming good reasons to trade, I might have gone ahead, despite her objections. Sure wouldn't have been the first time.

Sorry, Peeps.

Tom
Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #198
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou

Of course...the wife.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote