Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #235
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
P0101 is new as of yesterday. I've done a decent amount of driving without getting this code so it's weird it would suddenly pop up. I'm still pretty sure P2238 has something to do with wire damage from the heat off the turbo. And management is not yet in use, so until now the ECU has been doing just fine.

Eh, I'm beginning to think you're right about P0101. It makes sense that while boosting it's easily possibly to return a voltage signal that exceeds what the ECU is expecting. Why it's suddenly decided to start happening... Who knows?

Edit: I just found that P2238 could also mean "Barometric Pressure Circuit Intermittent," when in relation to Toyotas. If this was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to get these two codes together?

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 09-05-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #236
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I extended my O2 sensor wires so it would reach my downpipe and I could route them away from exhaust. My downstream O2 sensor [after coverter] I just left connected and pulled through grommet hole inside on car. It is now under my carpet on the driver side. It took a long ride but my engine light came back on as well. Most likely for the downstream O2 sensor. I am hoping it is a converter efficiency code or evap. code due to boost pressure in the system.
I will go to autozone tomarrow and have them scan it. My scanner is not working on the newer cars.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #237
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
Edit: I just found that P2238 could also mean "Barometric Pressure Circuit Intermittent," when in relation to Toyotas. If this was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to get these two codes together?
Means you're car is seeing boost when its only suppose to see vacuum and the ECU is freaking the hell out.?
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #238
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Means you're car is seeing boost when its only suppose to see vacuum and the ECU is freaking the hell out.?
This must be the case, because my bank 1 sensor 1 functions totally fine as per my narrowband.

pimp my yaris, lemme know what code(s) you have asap. Best case is we have similar codes...
It's interesting that it took a good deal of driving for your code to come on, because it was the same with me. You'd think that if this theory is correct that the light would come on almost immediately. I need to check how the ECU tests for this and determines there's a problem...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #239
Focus_Sh1ft

Ok, I looked into all this further and realized two things. Firstly, the codes wouldn't come on immediately because it takes two drive cycles for the ECU to determine there is actually a recurring issue. Secondly, I was reading these codes as per the Yaris manual hosted online. P0101 definitely seems to be the maf signal voltage out of range (too high), as a result of boost conditions. As for P2238, the manual lists it as the O2 sensor acting up, not the barometric pressure circuit intermittent. I THINK this is a result of the car running excessively lean. Low positive current on the AF+ wire directly equates to lean conditions. I have a scangauge on the way so I'll run some diagnostics before getting tuned.

Definitely would rather see CELs after boosting than not seeing them. Otherwise the car would clearly just be baffled as to what's happening to it lol.

The cool thing is that if I'm right, a tune will sort out those two CELs. MAF clamping to represent boost conditions, and the proper air/fuel ratio done by fuels map would eliminate P2238.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #240
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

P0101 is cyl. #1 missfire detected
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #241
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
P0101 is cyl. #1 missfire detected
Never mind I was thinking of po301
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #242
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
how do you have your gauges set up? Can you take a picture?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #243
Focus_Sh1ft

Top -> Bottom = Boost -> Narrowband -> Trans Temp
Transmission temperature is currently not installed.
The gauge pod is a generic one from Summit Racing, and it fits pretty eh, but it works nicely. It comes with foam to fill gaps, but I don't care enough.

Here's the turbo timer I'm not using. The gauge next to it is oil pressure. To the right of it is a voltmeter. I just wanna point out that they're not really 100% setup because I'm waiting on blue LED bulbs for the backlights before I seal the gauges in place and hold the pods with screws in the dash. I have a scangauge on the way that will sit on the steering column.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #244
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm curious why you are using a narrowband?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #245
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Jerzy I finally checked my codes today at autozone. I had only one and it was PO137 bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage. I am sure its because I have no cat. and the sensor is still connected but I pulled it inside my car. Its now under the carpet on the driver side. I think I will need a electronic o2 simulatar to pass emissions. I think I will also buy a vaccume check valve to put in on my evap. line.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #246
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Jerzy I finally checked my codes today at autozone. I had only one and it was PO137 bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage. I am sure its because I have no cat. and the sensor is still connected but I pulled it inside my car. Its now under the carpet on the driver side. I think I will need a electronic o2 simulatar to pass emissions. I think I will also buy a vaccume check valve to put in on my evap. line.
Agreed. Definitely because you pulled the cat out. Interesting though that we have similar setups but you don't have a MAF code. My P2238 disappeared and hasnt come back since I cleared my codes about a week ago, but P0101 keeps coming back.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #247
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Has any yaris owner expirience an explosion on their turbo?

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #248
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
Has any yaris owner expirience an explosion on their turbo?
Good question. And please let us know how much boost you were pushing when it happened.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #249
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
They sell O2 Sensor "defoulers" at any auto store, its basically a spacer that pushes the sensor away from the stream so it won't throw codes.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #250
Focus_Sh1ft

Tightened most of my piping connections, checked the MAF, and finally dealt with a small exhaust leak I had. Cleared the code, drove to class, came back on the way home. There must have been a small error on my part when I installed part of the air induction system for this code to keep coming up, otherwise pimp would have it too. I'm confident my MAF sensor works properly, so... maybe a vacuum leak? What would I see on a vacuum gauge if there was a leak?

Still gotta get this thing tuned and stuff... It's like I got lazier now that schools going again
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #251
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Just take it easy on the gas till U get her tuned. I can tell U with the wideband, I can tell exactly what my engine is doing and at high rpm's under boost it runs lean without tuning. Too lean! I cant wait to get my piggy back and try to learn some tuning myself. U should invest in the aem wideband. It works great and is made to work with your AEM FIC. I think the mass air sensor max's out under boost and can't properly adjust fuel supply. With the internal map sensor on the FIC we can keep adding fuel after the mass air has maxed out.

Hey jerzy: How much boost are U runing anyway? I dont think a vaccume guage will help that problem. It will only find a leak between the throttle and the engine. I would double check all connections and make sure those silicone connectors and clamps are straight and tight. If they are cocked or crooked they my not seal. Ya that sounded funny!

Last edited by pimp my yaris; 09-15-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #252
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Too lean!
what are your numbers?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote