Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
considering 90% of canada's population lives within 100km of u.s. border, we basically get the same weather that the states do to our immediate south,

anyway, i just filled up and did an average of my last 4 tanks:
5.9L p/100km or
40 mpg
i have noticed that the bottom bars dont' seem to last as long as the top bars, so when i think i am getting totally incredible fuel economy for the first part of the tank, it doesn't end up being quite as good...

but my average for the previous 6 tanks (since new) was 6.7L/100 km or
35 mpg, so there is a definite improvement.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
bikergal
 
bikergal's Avatar
 
Drives: Tacoma 4x4
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
considering 90% of canada's population lives within 100km of u.s. border, we basically get the same weather that the states do to our immediate south,

Well considering I have been to Grand Forkes North Dakota a few times one of them being in the middle of winter. I froze my tail off I think it was 20 below 0 the whole week I was there. Grand Forkes is very very close to Canada for those that don't know.


*sorry to derail*
bikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Island Boy
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergal
Well considering I have been to Grand Forkes North Dakota a few times one of them being in the middle of winter. I froze my tail off I think it was 20 below 0 the whole week I was there. Grand Forkes is very very close to Canada for those that don't know.


*sorry to derail*
I know where I won't be going in the middle of winter
Island Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
vicpai
 
Drives: '00 Lexus LS 400/'00 Metro HB
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 12
Wink Yes, I know what you're talking about!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergal
Well considering I have been to Grand Forkes North Dakota a few times one of them being in the middle of winter. I froze my tail off I think it was 20 below 0 the whole week I was there. Grand Forkes is very very close to Canada for those that don't know.


*sorry to derail*
I'm originally from the Twin cities, MN and lived in Grand Forks, ND for 4 years (1990-1994) I was going to school there at the University of North Dakota ....and it can get REAALLLY cold!!. Back then I was 18, and had a part time job as a Pizza delivery driver. We had to deliver pizzas in BLIZZARDS where you could barely see in front of your windshield, with tempratures hovering around 40 below zero and a 100 below WINDCHILL FACTOR!!! ....I did have some great times in that city, though. (just got me nostalgic when you mentioned Grand Forks )

Winnipeg is the closest major Canadian city, just about 150 miles north of Grand Forks (the Canadian border is about 75 miles north). Back then I've made the trip up there on a couple of occasions, and in winter it gets just as cold, if not more!!

Last edited by vicpai; 05-14-2006 at 03:19 PM.
vicpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
bikergal
 
bikergal's Avatar
 
Drives: Tacoma 4x4
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpai
I'm originally from the Twin cities, MN and lived in Grand Forks, ND for 4 years (1990-1994) I was going to school there at the University of North Dakota ....and it can get REAALLLY cold!!. Back then I was 18, and had a part time job as a Pizza delivery driver. We had to deliver pizzas in BLIZZARDS where you could barely see in front of your windshield, with tempratures hovering around 40 below zero and a 100 below WINDCHILL FACTOR!!! ....I did have some great times in that city, though. (just got me nostalgic when you mentioned Grand Forks )

Winnipeg is the closest major Canadian city, just about 150 miles north of Grand Forks (the Canadian border is about 75 miles north). Back then I've made the trip up there on a couple of occasions, and in winter it gets just as cold, if not more!!
haha... yeah that sounds right! My buddy graduated from UND also. Thats why I was there visiting him .

I remember seeing my first tumbleweed in Grand Forkes...awwww the memories I was like "what just rolled across the road?" My friend was cracking up at me.... I felt like I was in the wild wild west. This was during my summer trip out there.
bikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
pyromedic
 
Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 11
36mpg on my first tank of mostly city driving.
pyromedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
Quote:
Well considering I have been to Grand Forkes North Dakota a few times one of them being in the middle of winter. I froze my tail off I think it was 20 below 0 the whole week I was there. Grand Forkes is very very close to Canada for those that don't know.
that region of canada is pretty damn cold in the winter too, but not at this time of year
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
ubetiam
"oh what a feeling"
 
ubetiam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris RS (B) - 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 20
Send a message via MSN to ubetiam
this is a cool link i use often

http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html
ubetiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Update--

Man, I hope these number gets better soon.

390 clicks / 30.5 Litre

7.82 l/100 clicks.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
that's not so good ziv, are you driving like a maniac?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
JaiTomato
 
JaiTomato's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 sedan-flint mica, 96VFR750
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NJ
Posts: 36
Update:
Just bought second tank of gas. Total of 919 miles and 19.8 gallons. That's an average of 46 mpg.
But then that's mostly highway and I drive like someone's grandmother. (Mine never drove a vehicle in her life)
JaiTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
i've noticed a BIG difference in fuel economy when i take it easy (like a grandma) or when i don't (like ziv)
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
i've noticed a BIG difference in fuel economy when i take it easy (like a grandma) or when i don't (like ziv)
Thank you for pointing it out.
But no, I don't really drive like a maniac. Funny thing is, I have been driving mine for roughly four, five months now. I have NO IDEA why it would behave like that. I used to drive a 2.5 Altima. And I tried really hard to learn to drive a 1.5 like a 1.5. I accelate slowly, let the car pass by me and increase speed like VVTI suppose to be. I hardly go over 3000rpm on local. I drive very little hwy lately because I got everything around where I live.
Even so, city shouldn't be over 7.somethin', should it?

I just got my oil change few days ago. Let's hope it helps!

I was thinking, if the number stays that way, can you guys suggest something I can do? bring back to dealer for check up? use other octane than just 87?
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
NickNickNick
 
Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Thank you for pointing it out.
But no, I don't really drive like a maniac. Funny thing is, I have been driving mine for roughly four, five months now. I have NO IDEA why it would behave like that. I used to drive a 2.5 Altima. And I tried really hard to learn to drive a 1.5 like a 1.5. I accelate slowly, let the car pass by me and increase speed like VVTI suppose to be. I hardly go over 3000rpm on local. I drive very little hwy lately because I got everything around where I live.
Even so, city shouldn't be over 7.somethin', should it?

I just got my oil change few days ago. Let's hope it helps!

I was thinking, if the number stays that way, can you guys suggest something I can do? bring back to dealer for check up? use other octane than just 87?
Check your tire pressure...make sure you're running at EXACTLY 2.2BAR/32PSI...makes a huge difference on my car...I had my tire pressure around the 29-30PSI mark, and lost about 10mpg on the highway. I'm sure it'd have been even worse in the city.
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickNick
Check your tire pressure...make sure you're running at EXACTLY 2.2BAR/32PSI...makes a huge difference on my car...I had my tire pressure around the 29-30PSI mark, and lost about 10mpg on the highway. I'm sure it'd have been even worse in the city.
Ok.... I will try this and see if it makes any different! Sure hope it does!
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Thank you for pointing it out.
But no, I don't really drive like a maniac. Funny thing is, I have been driving mine for roughly four, five months now. I have NO IDEA why it would behave like that. I used to drive a 2.5 Altima. And I tried really hard to learn to drive a 1.5 like a 1.5. I accelate slowly, let the car pass by me and increase speed like VVTI suppose to be. I hardly go over 3000rpm on local. I drive very little hwy lately because I got everything around where I live.
Even so, city shouldn't be over 7.somethin', should it?

I just got my oil change few days ago. Let's hope it helps!

I was thinking, if the number stays that way, can you guys suggest something I can do? bring back to dealer for check up? use other octane than just 87?
It is not necessarily driving like a maniac that can hurt fuel economy.

What are the roads like where you drive?

Do you use the AC a ton?

Do you carry a lot of extra gear?

And of course there is always the chance that something might actually be wrong from the factory.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
*Another update thru the long weekend, I actually drove for a lil trip.
402 km / 30.4 Litre
Mostly highway, 80/20 hwy/city
The number still shows 7.56.
When is this nightmare going to end! I am driving constantly at 130km/h in the hwy and hardly going over 3000 rpm in city.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
It is not necessarily driving like a maniac that can hurt fuel economy.

What are the roads like where you drive?

Do you use the AC a ton?

Do you carry a lot of extra gear?

And of course there is always the chance that something might actually be wrong from the factory.
Let's see...
The road is not too bad, for those of us who have drive around richmond hill knows that it's not the best, but it doesn't nearly have as much pot hole than other cities around GTA.

I am cutting down the A/C since the tank before for last, but it doesn't seems to help as much as I would like it to be.

extra gear? not really, the heaviest thing is me. my gf weight probably half or 2/3 weigh than me and my chihuahua, yeah, he's only 6.9 pounds.

I am thinking I will try check the tire pressure as NickNickNick mentioned, and one step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Ziv ...... you know "Why" might have a point about there being a problem. My mileage has NEVER gone above 6.9L/100km, and my best (in gas miser mode) was 6.1L/100km. I live on the edge of a small resort town, so little traffic to deal with so far, but I have almost no highway miles. For the most part I drive ............ "energetically", because I enjoy the car (Yaris RS 5-speed) so much. I would get it checked out. The only other possibility is that you deal with a lot of "stop and go" traffic.

Thank you very much for your input. And yeah, it's true that I deals with TONS of stop and go traffic around GTA.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #18
Ryu
 
Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 503
I got a auto trans yaris, it 9300km on it right now, I do the first oil change at 2000km, second at 5000km, plan to do it at 10000km.
The car is well maintained i assume,
but the best I got is 7.2L/100km which is not that good i guess,
even when the summer time is coming right now, I still got something like 7.4L/100m 0.o

I didn't drive like a maniac also, I guess it is due to the heavy traffic in highway 1 in Vancouver when I go to work. It makes highway driving like a city driving lol.

Last edited by Ryu; 05-19-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.