Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
explain your definition on performance to me its what ever makes it run better and not considering hp factors and i will continue to spend money on premium cause money aint a issue
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
codymclelland
Startin small.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHwC...eature=related

Very good experiment comparing different octanes, and proof that premium gas will not gain you anything in terms of performance.
So is this simply because the Yaris is an economy car? Does the ECU simply not recognize the higher octane fuel?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleversiontc View Post
explain your definition on performance to me its what ever makes it run better and not considering hp factors and i will continue to spend money on premium cause money aint a issue
When I say performance, I mean hp and torque, which may be different from your definition (assuming yours is running smoothly, etc). It's all good, I still get premium from Chevron despite what some people told me (more dealing with Chevron and not octane) from time to time.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymclelland View Post
So is this simply because the Yaris is an economy car? Does the ECU simply not recognize the higher octane fuel?
I really cannot answer this knowledgeably, but perhaps.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #23
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
what if we did 1/4 mile pases with both premium and regular or in my case i use premium with octane aditive and belive me it runs faster in the strip it sounds like it's on steroids
Old 05-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Higher Octane

I just went over this with some friends.

92+ Octane makes the mix burn at a lower temp. You wont benefit from this unless you have a turbo. If you don't have a turbo you actually have more potential for carbon build up.

An easy way to look at it is if you burn a fire in your fire place the hotter it is the less smoke there will be and fewer residue left in your chimney. Burn that same fire but not as hot your going to have less heat and more smoke.

Don't put higher octane into your engine unless you have a turbo or the engine calls for it.

Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #25
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Good god not another thread about this...just use 87, nothing higher is gonna help your performance on a stock Yaris engine.

And battleversiontc, if money isn't an object, maybe you could spend a few $$ on some punctuation.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
haku

Drives: sentra
Send a message via AIM to haku
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post
Good god not another thread about this...just use 87, nothing higher is gonna help your performance on a stock Yaris engine.

And battleversiontc, if money isn't an object, maybe you could spend a few $$ on some punctuation.
hahahahaha. +1!
haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
battleversiontc

why dont you spend some $$ and move outta monroeville and move to a nicer location then the ghettos maybe try like south hills area perhaps or bethel park or upper st clair thats right no more $$ to spend thats why makes sense you afford what you drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post

mecp masters certified
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #28
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
i thought yarisworld was above personal bashing. we are all driving econo boxes money is not an issue on this board except in the sales threads so please dont bring up your salery comparing it to others like a little civic kid with his daddys money at the strip mall on the weekend with no girl in his passanger seat. point is. i know alot of people enjoying life and happy as then i know people with alot of money in the same boat ( not saying you are) but please lets leave the personal attacks in the highschool section of the civic fourms
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #29
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
from my understanding, higher octane burn more carbon , mean less deposit .

that's the way I see it.... I maybe wrong but I've been using 92+ octane even on my old mazda 626 4cyl 2.0L and 150000 miles later the car is still running strong with no leak or other major damage on the engine .

no need to argue about this ...if you have the extra money , you can spend to what you like ...it's your money , and enjoy it.

I don't look at yaris as an econobox, but rather a good car for a daily commuting. I like the way it look and I actually find it rather funny that I like to drive my yaris more and do some mods plan rather than my other 500+ hp toys in the garage.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #30
battleversiontc

sorry unfortunetly its my girls money not daddy's but i wasnt tryin to be an a$$ or anything but when people say sh!t when im just trying to input my opinion like everyone else in here so not my fault is wise a$$es in here that gotta get smart with peepo
mecp masters certified
Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #31
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
its understandable, internet is very hard to read sarcasm and the likes in text. just please (not directed at anyone in specific.) lets try and bring some of the hate in these fourms down it seems like its gotten out of hand. Myself included due to recent annoyances with a certain purchass. something we are all gonna have to work on. sorry for thread jack. as for higher grade fuel i think its a personal opinion just like sham wow. works great for some people works like crap for others. could just be very minor differences in the same engine, not much made by machines is 100% accurate and perfect everytime.
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #32
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
well assuming the ECU does do something, what would it change? does it allow more timing advance? That could be seen with an obd2 computer reader, and we could get some palpable evidence that it does something?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #33
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
no need to argue about this ...if you have the extra money , you can spend to what you like ...it's your money , and enjoy it.
I don't have a problem with your comment above.

What we should have a problem with are false claims made with absolutely
no proof to back it up. This topic comes up on every forum I've ever been a member of. And usually the person making the claim gets belligerent
when they are called out on it.

Honestly, if there was some performance benefit of using higher octane
don't you think every car manufacturer would put that in the owner's
manual?
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #34
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
^^^^ Well said.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #35
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
vten sounds like a vtec ohh shit we have a honda impostor trying to get a yaris cuz his ass got owned by one lol
Old 05-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #36
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Lol. How do you know its vtec not V10 ? Whatever float your boat, buddy.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote