Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
looks great!! any closer pics of the film?
Thanks!

Not at the moment. I can take a pic or two in the next day or so. I'm kind of a perfectionist and to me, it's a little rough (in some places) up close, but I'm hoping it will smooth out as it dries out. My daughter (12) says it "looks great Dad!" and she wants me to do it on her car when she gets one. It's a real booger to get it smooth right from the get-go. Practice (and heat!) definitely makes a difference as you get a 'feel' for how it works. As I mentioned before, the product is pretty forgiving and allows you to remove and reapply multiple times to get it where you want it. Heat and wet fingers are key!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Thanks!

Not at the moment. I can take a pic or two in the next day or so. I'm kind of a perfectionist and to me, it's a little rough (in some places) up close, but I'm hoping it will smooth out as it dries out. My daughter (12) says it "looks great Dad!" and she wants me to do it on her car when she gets one. It's a real booger to get it smooth right from the get-go. Practice (and heat!) definitely makes a difference as you get a 'feel' for how it works. As I mentioned before, the product is pretty forgiving and allows you to remove and reapply multiple times to get it where you want it. Heat and wet fingers are key!
great, thanks!
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
shaneeezy
<3

Drives: '08 Polar White Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to shaneeezy
Looks fabulous :]
shaneeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #22
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
is there a DIY section on applying the film on the lights?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
Herbicidal

KCALB SIRAY - by the time I got home last night it was dark, so no close-up pictures. I'd rather use natural light versus a flash. I'll see how tonight goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneeezy View Post
Looks fabulous :]
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
is there a DIY section on applying the film on the lights?
I haven't gone looking for one, but I think I mostly covered it in my initial post. The directions provided with the film are pretty good too. Just read them a couple of times and have a bowl of water to dip your fingers into and a decent source of heat. Lamin-X provided a tiny little squirt bottle that shoots a very fine mist, keep that handy to mist the tail light while working with the film. Lamin-X recommended either a blow dryer or a heat gun. I didn't use a blow dryer because I was afraid it would dry the water even quicker than my halogen work light. The film is pretty thick, and heat is your friend to help stretch and massage it into place, just not too much heat in any one place at any one time.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #24
Herbicidal

Darn daylight savings time! I now get home from work just as the sun sets. Anyway, shot a couple of close up pics this evening. The sun was just about down and there were clouds in the sky too. So there is reflection in the lens. The film has laid down pretty darn smooth, only if you are really close can you see some small bubbles, hopefully those will go away. Not sure if you can even see them in the pics. So far, so good.

Left lens:

Close up left lens:

Right lens, you can just see the edge of the film at the bottom of the lens as I didn't get it 'pulled' quite all the way to the bottom edge:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #25
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
That is awesome! I had no idea there was a film you could just put on it ..... I thought you had to take the tail light apart and smoke it from the inside ... that is so awesome! lol
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Looks like a great job to me. Thanks for the close ups. I really like the way it looks
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #27
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Looks like a great job to me. Thanks for the close ups. I really like the way it looks
You're welcome and thanks! I was a little stressed during the install but it seems to have turned out pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
That is awesome! I had no idea there was a film you could just put on it ..... I thought you had to take the tail light apart and smoke it from the inside ... that is so awesome! lol
Thank you! Nope, the Lamin-X film has an adhesive that reacts with water (that's why they include a small misting sprayer) and these are applied to the outside of the lens. It took about 15 minutes per light. I have no idea if they will ever come off, not that I'm going to try.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #28
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
looks good man. thanks for the close up pics.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Not a fan of smoked tails, but I do like the painted chrome and the new badges very much.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #30
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
MUCH better!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #31
Herbicidal

You're welcome and thanks everyone! The ol' Yaris has been totally transformed with relatively small cosmetic touches. When I'm driving around no one knows what the heck it is (other than a Toyota) and I like it like that! I've watched some other Yaris drivers looking and wondering WTF is that?!? Kinda looks like my car...but....
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #32
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Looks real good. I don't know what I like better, chrome or painted. Some yaris' like this look better painted, then others don't look very appealing.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
Looks real good. I don't know what I like better, chrome or painted. Some yaris' like this look better painted, then others don't look very appealing.
Thanks! May have to do with the cars body color, dark colors look better painted, lite colors maybe better with chrome?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
Herbicidal

No one really asked, but I decided to take two nighttime shots so you could see what the Lamin-X film does to the degree of light coming from the tail lights normally and with the brakes on. The pics are kind of grainy due to it being dark. But you get the idea. I think they light up pretty well in spite of the smoked film.

With the lights on <no brakes>:

With the brakes on:
Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #35
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Very VERY nice!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #36
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
No one really asked, but I decided to take two nighttime shots so you could see what the Lamin-X film does to the degree of light coming from the tail lights normally and with the brakes on. The pics are kind of grainy due to it being dark. But you get the idea. I think they light up pretty well in spite of the smoked film.

With the lights on <no brakes>:

With the brakes on:
looks good...kinda evil like

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote