Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11520 View Post
I have a K&N in my stock box. Never had an maf issue. Light oiling is the key to keeping it clean in my opinion. Does it add more oompf to the engine? probably not but one thing a reusable filter will do for you is cut down the $10-$15 dollar out of pocket expense of having to replace the basic paper filters every time they get dirty.
I think youre right you have to be sparing with the oil. Probably there wont be a problem if you do that.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #20
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
The filtration is less, thus allowing more air and crud into your engine. Of course there will be more airflow but at what cost ? I use Toyota oil and air and cabin air filters only in both my Yotas.
Not really. Using a bigger air filter with more surface area allows more air. But only if the engine set up requires it otherwise it takes what's needed.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #21
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
188,000 kl on my Yaris using K&N drop in with zero issues.
I kept the original filter and put it in while I clean and oil the K&N. Let it rest overnight on paper towels (to drain any excess) and re-install the next day.
I have run oiled K&N filters in all my vehichles since my 1988 Mustang GT. Never a MAF issue, although I do clean the MAF periodically with spray.
When I ran a K&N kit on the Mustang I found it annoying because without a spare filter I couldn't drive during the cleaning process. Later I saw a dyno test comparing the OEM Mustang filter compared to the K&N drop-in and the K&N kit (with cone filter). The drop-in and the kit gave an identical HP increase. Both about 5 hp more than the OEM paper filter. Since then I've opted for the convenience of the drop-in. All I'm missing is that increased intake sound of an open filter. And for that I could swiss-cheese the air box. But I won't.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Fantastic. Now I'm thoroughly unsure on whether or not to run the drop in I bought lol.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
craig11520

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
ern. you bought the filter. at least try it out. you can always remove it and go back to the paper filter if your unhappy. obviously we all have our own opinions and personal preferences on the issue. neither side is right or wrong. companies like k&n wouldn't be in business if they weren't good to use. personally i'm interested in hearing your opinion once you've tried it. just follow what we've said, lightly oil, let it drain and dry up a bit, pop it in and give it a go. I've got the drop in myself on the yaris and I have a full blown kit on my 01 ford ranger. the yaris is the wife's main ride and even she can tell the difference with the filter in when she punches it to pass someone up.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #24
ern-diz

Quote:
ern. you bought the filter. at least try it out. you can always remove it and go back to the paper filter if your unhappy. obviously we all have our own opinions and personal preferences on the issue. neither side is right or wrong. companies like k&n wouldn't be in business if they weren't good to use. personally i'm interested in hearing your opinion once you've tried it. just follow what we've said, lightly oil, let it drain and dry up a bit, pop it in and give it a go. I've got the drop in myself on the yaris and I have a full blown kit on my 01 ford ranger. the yaris is the wife's main ride and even she can tell the difference with the filter in when she punches it to pass someone up.
thanks, craig...i bought it a few months back and have been running it up until reading this thread...i thought it felt a bit better with it in, but it could easily be placebo...last thing i'd want is a gunked up maf since i don't do any maintenance on the car myself, so that's my only concern...i should mention that i threw it in straight out of the box...was i supposed to lightly oil, etc. prior to installing, or do they come good to go out of the box?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #25
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ if the filter element was a purply red colour, then it was pre-oiled. Whitish in colour, then it was un-oiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #26
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You should know that the oil on the KN filter tends to end up on the MAF sensor which then throws a code or gets damaged and a new one is like $300.

Bronsin does not recommend KN filters for the Yaris.
Pretty sure this has never been scientifically proven.

I have been using oiled filters for over 20 years without a MAF problem.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
most off road vehicles like RZR and such use oiled filters.

The only way oil ends up on the MAF is if you put to much of it on the media element. I've run oiled filters in every vehicle I've ever owned, and never had a MAF code pop up.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #28
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ if the filter element was a purply red colour, then it was pre-oiled. Whitish in colour, then it was un-oiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, mine was a purply red color.

How long should I run it before thinking about cleaning and lightly oiling again? I'm sure it probably says on the box. I should go read lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #29
ern-diz

...called Toyota and spoke to a guy in the parts dept (for what that's worth)...he said he's been running one in his truck for 6 yrs without a problem, but also cleans the maf occasionally...sounds like one of those situations where whatever gains are had come at the cost of some additional maintenance?...being that my car is slow with or without the k&n, i'm probably going to just stick with the stock filters so i don't have to think about it...
Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #30
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I run an oiled cone filter on my SRI. When I remove it in the fall and switch over to stock airbox for the winter, I clean my MAF. Every time I clean it, I notice that it is not really dirty. Light oiling is the key. Over oiling, which is a rookie mistake, is the killer.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #31
craig11520

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
In reference to how ofen to clean it. Ive read k&n material that says a filter that is slightly dirty performs best and once a year to clean and oil it. Personally i do mine two or three times a year depending on dirt discoloration in both the yaris and my truck. For some real horsepower gain i suggest checking out the Econo Maxx at economaxx.com. proven fuel savings and significant horsepower gains but pricey. Set you back about $125.00. Might turn that slow ride into a zipper ern.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #32
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I run an oiled cone filter on my SRI. When I remove it in the fall and switch over to stock airbox for the winter, I clean my MAF. Every time I clean it, I notice that it is not really dirty. Light oiling is the key. Over oiling, which is a rookie mistake, is the killer.
Quote:
In reference to how ofen to clean it. Ive read k&n material that says a filter that is slightly dirty performs best and once a year to clean and oil it. Personally i do mine two or three times a year depending on dirt discoloration in both the yaris and my truck. For some real horsepower gain i suggest checking out the Econo Maxx at economaxx.com. proven fuel savings and significant horsepower gains but pricey. Set you back about $125.00. Might turn that slow ride into a zipper ern.
Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated.

Upon hitting the Econo Maxx website I realized I've seen them before. The concept makes sense to me. I'm waiting to hear from Garm on getting some of those Micro Image intakes in stock. Think I'm going to spring for one. I feel like any MAF maintenance will be worth it for that gain. The Econo Maxx could be a nice bump to that, though I've heard that if you don't do the entire intake/exhaust system, the gains aren't as much as advertised.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #33
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
i use to have Simota Intake kit..sounds like a boat and lose low end..i changed back to k&n drop in filter..solid low end power..i wouldnt go on intake kit unless i changed the throttle body or manifold
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #34
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
Living in a hot weather country and driving a matic, my preference would be a drop in panel filter as the stock box acts like a cold air intake anyway.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #35
ern-diz

Interesting...
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #36
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
i been using K&N on all my vehicle...wash em and oil them very lightly..maf sensor messing up, you must putting shit load of oil...hp increase? nope but it comes handy after i got my header and center pipe installed..feels more smoother
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote