Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #19
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I agree with you re the power locks, but not the windows.
I do agree that the mentioned scenario could happen .. but really I will accept the odds and not lose any sleep over it happening.

Really at that point .. if I cannot easily break the window, I would depend on the fire department to get me out. This is the reason that I always carry my cell phone in my pocket when I am driving. Just in case something happens.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
Why manual windows? In three words: weight, reliabilty, and cost.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I do agree that the mentioned scenario could happen .. but really I will accept the odds and not lose any sleep over it happening.

Really at that point .. if I cannot easily break the window, I would depend on the fire department to get me out. This is the reason that I always carry my cell phone in my pocket when I am driving. Just in case something happens.
When I was typing my previous post I thought, well HE'D be able to break the window (you mentioned your height and weight on some threat about driving comfort), but someone very diminutive and petite might not be able to. I decided to leave that thought out and see if you'd mention it. Obviously, people are different and have different reasons for having the attitudes and feelings that they do re certain things. I am what some might consider unusual combination of glass half full adventurer with some Chicken Little the sky is falling (but can also be truly falling) thrown in. My giving the battery scenario thought probably falls within the Chicken Little realm. The issue isn't a deal breaker. If hand crank windows disappear, that won't prevent me from getting a Yaris or a Prius C, I just STRONGLY prefer the hand crank windows.

If I'm 'on the fence' mileage wise re being ready to get a new car at the time hand crank windows go away (I'm thinking 1 year from now) this issue might be enough to get me to buy early. If that date ends up being a few weeks from now (when the 2013s come out) that is too soon and not enough to get me to buy at that time. Some of the new (to them) issues that some members ahead of me in miles have been having recently have made me think that I'll re-evaluate keeping this particular Yaris (as opposed to trading it in on a new Yaris or Prius C) once I get to 300k miles rather than going 'hog wild'/no doubt to 500k+ miles.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ Oops, thread not threat (typo).
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
edmscan

I was watching a Yaris Hybrid video on YouTube .. and that may be the next car for me. Wonder if they will have it in Canada soon ?

But realistically I have only had my Yaris for 4 months now .. and I think that I really need to do as I have done with my previous vehicles and drive them til they die. So .. I could conceivably have my present Yaris for another 10 years.
I drove my Tercel til it died .. and I am amazed that the car lasted as long as it did. So the Yaris should be able to do just as well ..
Old 09-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Why manual windows? In three words: weight, reliabilty, and cost.
safety (and reliability). I also wonder how much the extra weight would hurt MPG (probably negligible).
Old 09-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I was watching a Yaris Hybrid video on YouTube .. and that may be the next car for me. Wonder if they will have it in Canada soon ?

But realistically I have only had my Yaris for 4 months now .. and I think that I really need to do as I have done with my previous vehicles and drive them til they die. So .. I could conceivably have my present Yaris for another 10 years.
I drove my Tercel til it died .. and I am amazed that the car lasted as long as it did. So the Yaris should be able to do just as well ..
I have a similar approach, but I also balance it with how much more dollar wise am I going to have to put into it to get how many more miles and what is the current market value of the car.

I like the styling cues of the Yaris Hybrid better than the Prius C. I wish we were getting the Yaris Hybrid here in the U.S. rather than the C . A previous CT reply said something about the C and the Yaris Hybrid being basically the same car. There is a slightly over 2 inch difference in the wheelbase...any idea why?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11201093...light-disguise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013.jpg (40.1 KB, 83 views)
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Sigh. I wish we in the U.S. were getting this instead of the Prius C....I like the styling details better than on the Prius C.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
edmscan

The picture above shows a nicer Yaris than the one I had seen previously on a Yaris Hybrid. (I believe it was from a member from Norway ..)

The one pictured above I actually like ... it has nice lines and the front of the vehicle actually looks reasonable.

( I believe if you look at the pictures ... there is a 2012 Yaris Hybrid and a 2013 Yaris Hybrid. I very much prefer the 2013 model .. based on the pictures alone).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ The nose on that thing is hideous!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #30
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
The nose on that thing is hideous!
Depends on where you stand ... to me I would take the 2013 pictured above and kick the 2012 model to the curb ( that one to me is a lot more painful to look at).
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
Jamus

Drives: '12 3dr Yaris L
I may be new to this stuff, but to me, that white one looks exactly like my 2012 if you remove all the white tape they use to mask what it looks like.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #32
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Amusing thread... I see merit with having power locks (less likely to scratch car, convenient to unlock car as you're running up to car in the rain or carrying bags limiting free hand), but power windows? Seriously?! Since when did cranking windows become a full contact sport? I can only view this as pure laziness or impatience (or both).
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #33
edmscan

Once you have power windows .. you will never go back. They are a close 2nd to power locks, which are the best invention ever.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #34
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The styling in that picture is going in the wrong direction. Has anyone noticed the styling of MBs and BMWs lately? They used to be nice subtle, understated designs. They put a lot of thought into the mechanicals of their cars.

Now they are getting real "busy" in how the car looks and its not a good busy either.

My wish for the 2013 Yaris is the 1 liter engine coupled to the auto clutch transmission of the Smart Car (it slows down when you take your foot off the gas like a manaul transmission does)

That and get the weight down to ~1800 pounds.

No diesel or turbo diesel unless its ~500 cc's. Diesel is more than gas now so any advantage in mpg is canceled by paying more for fuel and the initial purchase price (think HYBRID)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #35
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Once you have power windows .. you will never go back. They are a close 2nd to power locks, which are the best invention ever.
Once SOME people have power windows, they will never go back. .....there.....that looks better. I've had power windows on a car or two I've owned in the past and I just prefer hand crank windows. There is only one other member of my family who feels the way I do, but there are at least a few more here on Yarisworld.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Amusing thread... I see merit with having power locks (less likely to scratch car, convenient to unlock car as you're running up to car in the rain or carrying bags limiting free hand), but power windows? Seriously?! Since when did cranking windows become a full contact sport? I can only view this as pure laziness or impatience (or both).
I agree with power locks being fine, but only if there is also an avenue to lock and unlock the doors manually. I also dislike that you can't open the hatch on the 3rd Gen 3-door with a traditional key.