Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I would imagine that the stable gas prices and the fact that Jeep Patriots can be had for the price of a new Corolla would stimulate sales.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...p-fuel-economy

Just another casual thought... I have one friend who I've known since high school, and all of my cars are "too small" for him because he's much, much wider than I am. Hard to imagine him squeezing himself into a Yaris. Ever try to lose 100 or more pounds in one's mid-40's? It's easier to go out and buy a Jeep.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
I would imagine that the stable gas prices and the fact that Jeep Patriots can be had for the price of a new Corolla would stimulate sales.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...p-fuel-economy

Just another casual thought... I have one friend who I've known since high school, and all of my cars are "too small" for him because he's much, much wider than I am. Hard to imagine him squeezing himself into a Yaris. Ever try to lose 100 or more pounds in one's mid-40's? It's easier to go out and buy a Jeep.
That is more state of mind than anything else. When I was in high school one of our teachers who was 400+ lbs drove a geo metro. She fit just fine.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
The previous gen Yaris is everywhere around here, but the third gen, not so much. I think the competition just has more to offer. Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent are just much nicer IMO.

Let's not forget the compact segment which is offering comparable or better fuel economy with a larger, more comfortable ride. The Honda Civic springs to mind here. Even the Corolla is nice. When my Mother in Law's Yaris was totalled recently it was a no brainer to go to the Corolla for only $1200 more since the sedan isn't offered anymore.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Honda comes up with with the next Fit too.
It not just the Yaris. All of the Toyotas haven undergone some interior changes that are not very attractive. If I needed a new car, I would still buy Toyota, but not for the interior.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Maybe the general public has the same opinion of the new yaris interior....I don't think I could stand to look at it every day! I'll keep my current car.
The dash has finally grown on me enough that I could tolerate it (HATED it at first). I also don't like the seats in all but the SE. One can put different seats in a car, but not really a different dash. I'll hang on to my 2nd Gen for many more miles.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
I'm not looking for a luxury car, but I'd like a decent interior.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Quote:
Let's not forget the compact segment which is offering comparable or better fuel economy with a larger, more comfortable ride. The Honda Civic springs to mind here. Even the Corolla is nice. When my Mother in Law's Yaris was totalled recently it was a no brainer to go to the Corolla for only $1200 more since the sedan isn't offered anymore.
I think this is the winner here. Toyota offers zero incentives on the Yaris but if a consumer jumps a half-size to a Corolla, he/she can land zero percent financing and even negotiate a decent price. Likewise, someone can go purchase a Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta with zero financing and insane rebates. The Gen2 Yari are everywhere because they sell for a great used price.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
A loan broker told me that new cars aren't bringing in the profits they use to. They prefer to sell used cars.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #26
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My friend told me they dropped the sedan model in Canada,as many people dont like hatch backs.. sales down? maybe bring back the sedan and sales will rise.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My friend told me they dropped the sedan model in Canada,as many people dont like hatch backs.. sales down? maybe bring back the sedan and sales will rise.
Actually, there may be something to it. I'd bet there was a lot of fleet sales with Yaris sedans, too. So now consumers only have a three- or five-door hatch option.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
A loan broker told me that new cars aren't bringing in the profits they use to. They prefer to sell used cars.
I get SO many letters from Toyota dealers wanting my Yaris.....twofold strategy I imagine...to try to get my Yaris cheap ....and to try to get me to pay more than I should for a new one or (better yet for them) a specific more expensive choice that results in a higher profit margin for them (from a price perspective, as I only pay cash).
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm surprised at how much used Yarii are selling for. Looked into some used car options for my dad recently and was a bit taken at how much '07's are selling for. Some listed for as much or just 1k below original sale price. Anyone else notice that?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm surprised at how much used Yarii are selling for. Looked into some used car options for my dad recently and was a bit taken at how much '07's are selling for. Some listed for as much or just 1k below original sale price. Anyone else notice that?
After searching for months, I figured out SoCal rust free low mile Yarii are being bought by wholesalers, and transported to the east coast to replenish the flood loss cars.

Right now, all we can find (in the private market) are Salvage title, or super high mileage. Thus dealers get top do;;ar for the low moleage units they possess.

Thats why I just bought another new one!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll probably be looking to upgrade my Yaris if not this summer definitely next summer,If my only option is the hatchback version then Yaris will be off the short list for the next car.Perhaps Corolla,Camry or a Hyundai product will replace what could have been a sure fire sale.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I wonder how the Corolla fairs on highway mileage. My step daughter just bought a 2011 Corolla and it was very nice.

I am thinking it might be a good alternative.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I wonder how the Corolla fairs on highway mileage. My step daughter just bought a 2011 Corolla and it was very nice.

I am thinking it might be a good alternative.
My wife's 2005 Corolla woulnd't get over 35 mpg in free fall. It felt like a gas guzzler compared to my Echo (43-44 mpg) or my Yaris sedan (40-41 mpg)
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The previous gen Yaris is everywhere around here, but the third gen, not so much. I think the competition just has more to offer. Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent are just much nicer IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Honda comes up with with the next Fit too.
Each person has a different experience, but I rarely have combined city/hwy tanks (which are all my tanks) that are under a 40 MPG average for the tank. While reading other forums, I don't find that Accent and Fit owners are getting my results. I don't yet trust the long term reliability of the Fiesta, so I haven't noticed what most owners seem to be getting re MPG.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Here'e one:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3797803975.html