Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisDude View Post
If you do the physics, you loose more energy than you gain. The are losses in energy conversion, mechanical to electrical energy (alternator/belt - heat) and electrical-chemical losses in electrolysis (breaking the H and O bonds in the water). Accurately accounting for these conversion losses will show that you have no gain. Currently there is no way of invalidating the laws of thermodynamics, it would be nice to produce a perpetual motion machine out of my Yaris. If you can get the hydrogen for free you may have something - perhaps as a waste product from manufacturing. Perhaps I should get some chickens and use the poop to generate methane and bottle it to run my car, as I side product I get fresh eggs and meat. Blast, I still have to buy the chicken feed.
you missed the boat... its not about trying to find 100% efficiency.. its about lowering the cost per mile... and possibly emissions too.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #20
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
i did a evaporator thingy instead of going HHO generator route on my previous Taco. what it was, is like the hho generator but just vacuum line sucking in outside air bubbling the water and sucking up tiny evaporated water. I really have no hard evidence on the effectiveness, no scangauge to tell me if my intake was cooler or not or inst. mpg gauge. however at pump whether it was me thinking i was doing better or not, i got like 10% increase. around 21>23mpg.

I guess intaking just tiny evaporated water makes sense to cool the intake air, kinda how driving through a cold foggy morning.

About taking too much energy to break water down to hho, theres the option of seeding the evaporator with hho, from one jar that has electricity running through it tubed to a sealed jar of water. Seems like it would make sense. Still im not about to do anything like this on my new Yaris. Even though seems like people get real life results, i might start reading up on http://www.hhoforums.com

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Biff
Super Duper Biff Guy

Drives: from here to there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
prolly law issues, and money... it all comes down to money.

Even if it doesn't increase mpg... if it reduces cost per mile at the same time of reducing emissions that is a big improvement. MPG doesn't tell the whole story... Cost Per Mile is what actually matters.

I got better mpg's in washington than oregon last summer due to the difference of E10 Additive in oregon's gas.... but washington's was also more expensive... so when gas was $4ish a gallon it was a wash.... with gas being cheaper... the E10 in oregon isn't as good... but i'm sure by the end of summer it'll be back on top in terms of cost per mile.

the equation to figure out is pretty easy...
Gas price per gallon /mpg
i.e. $3/40mpg = $.075 or 7.5cents per mile

$40 isn't very much... if that's the only cost... if there are recurring costs however... it makes it much harder, and takes much longer to pay for itself.

I think the biggest question is... how easy (read: how expensive) is it to mod the ecu to allow the lean mixture.

This is legal, and cheap and easy to make. The HHO it produces its not just Hydrogen its "HHO".... So it will be safe to put on the engine, and its high maintenance. However, it can be made from some stainless, and a few other things. If you read around you will see that the links given above are scams. I have been researching this for a long time. You should never buy one, they are not worth the money. Also, you will want to read into how you should set yours up. This is only going to provide a little HHO, unless you create an efficient cell. Citric acid is used, and you would want a closed system that will self circulate the liquid you choose. If you do it right, it will make a decent amount, and not get hot or brown.

Hope that helps.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote