Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #19
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I feel the higher tire pressure (not over max.) has helped me with the crosswinds. I don't think the stock tires are anywhere optimum but right now I'm not buying new ones. One problem with this thread is some people are trying to compare track/autocross handling with side wind handling and I think there's a major difference.....try putting a couple of your larger friends in the backseat and tell them to rock from side to side while you drive down the road---stiffness of tires and springs with the addition of sway bars are my best guess for curing the problem....now for track conditions its different---sometimes less stiff is a help for better traction and contact with the road.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but I just see too many differences and don't think tuning for one is always the same as tuning for the other.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #20
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I feel the higher tire pressure (not over max.) has helped me with the crosswinds. I don't think the stock tires are anywhere optimum but right now I'm not buying new ones. One problem with this thread is some people are trying to compare track/autocross handling with side wind handling and I think there's a major difference.....try putting a couple of your larger friends in the backseat and tell them to rock from side to side while you drive down the road---stiffness of tires and springs with the addition of sway bars are my best guess for curing the problem....now for track conditions its different---sometimes less stiff is a help for better traction and contact with the road.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but I just see too many differences and don't think tuning for one is always the same as tuning for the other.
I have to agree with you on that. Lowering my car only on the stock tires has made a huge difference in highway driving. I felt like I was sailing before almost fighting to keep it straight. Huge improvement with the drop. I am certain comining all of the things I want to do will get me where I want to be suspension wise.

and I do not over fill my tires, 30-32 pounds is all
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
We've been over this in another thread, essentially it boild down to this, Toyot recommends 32PSI as a safe, comforatbale pressure. Look on your tire's sidewall, and you will see the maximum pressure that the tire manufacturer recommends, you can pump up to that without problems.

60PSI should only be looked at if you want to stretch every last mile out of your fuel, and the rest of your driving style must follow. So, don't pump to 60PSI and drive fast, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Interesting article for you:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...704150326/1247

yea i know we have covered alot of this, but alot of internet articles from some pretty reputable sources are pretty adament about maintaining the PSI facotry recommendations for best performance, and then a new player came on the scene, i dont think he had said much so i was interested in hearing what he had to say:) I was actually part of that conversation suggesting that if you do 60PSI it would mean that you had to follow suit in other areas as well, or its a recipe for disaster. But dang, eventually when my gf moves over here i guess i will have to do everything to improve handling, just to make sure she is as safe as can be eh? honestly, i think my stock tires were fucked up and the dealership i went to pre 3k miles sucked balls....anyway, i'll leave this rest for now and drop my pressure to 38 for my own peace of mind:)
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #22
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
38psi for your tire sounds great to me.
Brickhardmeat,30psi,I hope you know to take load into effect aswell,if you do have 4 passengers,your engine will be in pain,tires will heat up very quickly,and wear faster.And you should also remeber that you will lose psi over time.I also beleive in that nitrogen fill that alot of places offer now,I havnt tried it yet,but it sounds good,and right.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote