Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes I sold it. Im too decreoit physicially to ride a 700 pound motorcycle anymore. PLus the meds I am on (was on) have destroyed my sense of balance.
Have you been on your new bike enough to notice if it has a diminished presence re visibility. I'm thinking re SUV and large Pick Up drivers seeing you (I've found semi drivers are usually keenly aware, so i'm not worried about that). It would also be great to hear from other members re this (especially those, like Bronsin, who have had a bigger bike and now have one like Bronsin's or smaller).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have 35 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of motorcycle experience.

If anything drivers are MORE aware. Ive been on the busy Admiral Wilson Blvd here in Camden NJ half a dozen times now. This bike is slow to accelerate and as such you cannot control your position in traffic.

Doesnt seem to matter. People give you lots of space. They dont crowd me. In fact they seem to back off like theyre saying to themselves "Holy stuff whats that little motorcycle doing on the road!"

Of course over time the other guy will do dangerous things. Youve got to be ready for it. My solution is limit the amount of time Im in congested areas.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I sat on a Grom at a motorcycle show last month. So cool!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I have 35 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of motorcycle experience.

If anything drivers are MORE aware. Ive been on the busy Admiral Wilson Blvd here in Camden NJ half a dozen times now. This bike is slow to accelerate and as such you cannot control your position in traffic.

Doesnt seem to matter. People give you lots of space. They dont crowd me. In fact they seem to back off like theyre saying to themselves "Holy stuff whats that little motorcycle doing on the road!"

Of course over time the other guy will do dangerous things. Youve got to be ready for it. My solution is limit the amount of time Im in congested areas.
Thanks so much for the input. My part of the Houston Metro (as some others) is growing at an almost dizzying pace with the building of the Exxon North American HQ Campus, the Grand Parkway, and many other projects. The heavy migration to this area isn't going to stop. The traffic is going to get worse. You probably hear this from your relatives who live here. I'm thinking that a small motorcycle might aid moblity (although (according to ridetexas.com) the Texas Department of Public Safety interprets rather unspecific statutes to mean that lane-splitting isn't allowed ).

I'm also wondering about transporting a GROM or even a RUCKUS (wanting the option to use one to compliment car use on a trip). Are most (or all) motorcycle trailers built for larger bikes, or are there ones that would work well with a GROM or RUCKUS? Yarisworld members with larger trailers (for Home Depot runs, etc.) seem to have few if any issues at all re maneuverability. Would the same be true re a small trailer for a small bike?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
My solution is limit the amount of time Im in congested areas.
A very noble ideal. One that I think about returning to by moving to the northern part of my county. Here in the southern part of the county, I prefer the population and construction levels of 5 years ago to the current levels.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'm also wondering about transporting a GROM or even a RUCKUS (wanting the option to use one to compliment car use on a trip). Are most (or all) motorcycle trailers built for larger bikes, or are there ones that would work well with a GROM or RUCKUS? Yarisworld members with larger trailers (for Home Depot runs, etc.) seem to have few if any issues at all re maneuverability. Would the same be true re a small trailer for a small bike?
HArbour Freight sells tiny trailers for less than $200. All you really need to transport a motorcycle is two straps from the handlebars to anchor points. You use the straps to compress the forks. That is how I transported my Grom 250 miles to my house.

I have also seen hitch mounted motorcycle carriers that run across the back of the vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaa 116.jpg (153.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
HArbour Freight sells tiny trailers for less than $200.
Thanks!

Quote:
All you really need to transport a motorcycle is two straps from the handlebars to anchor points. You use the straps to compress the forks. That is how I transported my Grom 250 miles to my house.
I was trying to picture in my mind how this would be done with (at least one of) the wheels of the bike on the ground . Then I logged in and viewed the pic you posted. Many of my neighbors have pickups, but I don't. My one neighbor (that I can think of off the top of my head) who transports his ATV in his pickup bed uses a modified method similar to what you posted.

Quote:
I have also seen hitch mounted motorcycle carriers that run across the back of the vehicle.
Any on a car as small/light as the Yaris?

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 09-17-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: OOPS -- LOGGED not LOOGED.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks!

I was trying to picture in my mind how this would be done with (at least one of) the wheels of the bike on the ground . Then I logged in and viewed the pic you posted. Many of my neighbors have pickups, but I don't. My one neighbor (that I can think of off the top of my head) who transports his ATV in his pickup bed uses a modified method similar to what you posted.

I found hitchcarriers.com , clicked on the 'motorcycle and scooter carriers' category, and all of the examples pictured were attached to SUVs, pickups, vans, and motorhomes.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #27
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
Nice pic of the car and the motorcycle as well. I just bought my 2013 Toyota Yaris. I'm a motorcyclist as well. Did ride a 2009 Honda shadow Spirit ( gloss black ).
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #28
bronsin

Quote:
I found hitchcarriers.com , clicked on the 'motorcycle and scooter carriers' category, and all of the examples pictured were attached to SUVs, pickups, vans, and motorhomes.
Wasnt sure what type of vehicle you were planning on using for the transporting so I covered all the bases..
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
bronsin

Quote:
No.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
What I was getting at with this post (sorry Bronsin, I should have been clear , my bad) is that all the pictured examples I saw on hitchcarriers.com were SUVs, pickups, vans, and motorhomes. Would trying to put a hitch carrier on a Yaris work?....If so, would the GROM work okay...or would only a RUCKUS fit size and weight wise?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
HArbour Freight sells tiny trailers for less than $200. All you really need to transport a motorcycle is two straps from the handlebars to anchor points. You use the straps to compress the forks. That is how I transported my Grom 250 miles to my house.

Thanks!....I think the HF option would work if all hitchcarrier.com options would not (I'm thinking Yaris re towing).
Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No.
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #33
bronsin

Quote:
What I was getting at with this post (sorry Bronsin, I should have been clear , my bad) is that all the pictured examples I saw on hitchcarriers.com were SUVs, pickups, vans, and motorhomes. Would trying to put a hitch carrier on a Yaris work?....If so, would the GROM work okay...or would only a RUCKUS fit size and weight wise?
Hmmm well you can certainly put a box hitch on a Yaris that will take those things. A Grom is 225 lbs, maybe a little heavy for a Yaris? A Ruck must be less.

Personally it wouldnt stop me fron researching it and scratching my head over it and trying it out if all my genius brainstroming told me I could!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #34
bronsin

Quote:
Thanks!....I think the HF option would work if all hitchcarrier.com options would not (I'm thinking Yaris re towing).
Towing a Grom on a trailer with the Yaris would be a no brainer. Also, you could make all kinds of cargo arrangements on the trailer for other things besides the Grom.

And use the trailer for other projects besides!

WHat a good idea!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Hmmm well you can certainly put a box hitch on a Yaris that will take those things. A Grom is 225 lbs, maybe a little heavy for a Yaris? A Ruck must be less.

Personally it wouldnt stop me fron researching it and scratching my head over it and trying it out if all my genius brainstroming told me I could!
Thanks! (When this thread started, I looked up the GROM and the RUCKUS (on the Honda site +++) in order to discover the weight of each and, IIRC, the RUCKUS weight = 185 lbs)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Towing a Grom on a trailer with the Yaris would be a no brainer. Also, you could make all kinds of cargo arrangements on the trailer for other things besides the Grom.

And use the trailer for other projects besides!

WHat a good idea!
Thanks!