Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Astroman: I have the Tanabe Concept G axle back exhaust which also is pretty quite when I'm at a stop. As for the blue headlight film I removed those a while ago since I travel to South San Francisco quite a bit....

This has been the first time I've ever been pulled over by the cops for my exhaust since 2/05/07 and I've even driven in front of cops before this incident and even when I started my car next to two cop cars (with cops in them) they didn't do anything to me............and that was near the Serramonte Starbucks!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Thanks for the response. I think I'll be fine as the TRD exhaust is 50-state legal... Mostly it depends on how the cop is feeling I suppose. On my old Astro van, I painted the side windows (not the very front ones) black to make it more like a cargo van as I rarely had any passengers. For over a year I drove around like that, even got pulled over a couple times with no mention about painting the windows over. Then one day I get pulled over (not even speeding or nothing, being good for once) and the cop tells me I can't paint over my windows. I asked him about it as I have seen MANY vans do this, and that some astro vans don't even have any side or rear windows. He told me that my van was registered as a passenger vehicle not a hauling vehicle (in WA the plates have a different sequence for passenger vehicles and trucks/non-passenger). Pissed me off because I think he was going for illegal tint, but it was paint. I didn't get a ticket but a warning to take the paint off immediately. So as I was saying earlier, I guess it just depends on the cop and if they got laid last night. I've seen people run red lights in front of cops and they didn't do anything, while my 1st ticket I ever got was from running a yellow light...
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #21
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Technically, there is a legal limit to the sound coming from your exhaust, and there is a law about that... it's not a "I feel it's too loud" law, it's "the exhaust produced a sound of 92db at 50 ft upon acceleration and the legal limit is 88db." So, even though the cop can give you a ticket for your stereo being too loud, right, did he measure the exact distance of the vehicle away from his position and record the volume level? Same goes for exhausts.

You were driving too fast in his opinion, and he didn't clock you, so rather than writing a ticket that would lower his conviction rating, he wrote you the only thing he cood, an arbitrary fix-a-ticket. If the exhaust is CARB legal, all you have to do is present that to the court, or mail in a copy of the violation with it. Generally the instructions for such violations are spelled out in the tiny print on the back of the ticket.

Word.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com

Last edited by Vanderkitten; 05-12-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: felt like it
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #22
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I had fog lights on a motorcycle for show that were blueish but the light they projected was white. I got pulled over and harassed by the CHP. The problem then is not whether or not the lights are legal, it's all of the other stuff they can find wrong with your car now that htey have probable cause. It's cool to look ricey, but you definitely open your self up for profiling... Oakland cops, however, could care less... so maybe you should drive through Oakland more. ;)
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #23
yrsdrgn

Well being that my exhaust is a Tanabe (japanese brand) i highly doubt it'll be CARB legal. and yes i did get clocked going 65 in a 35zone but there is no print saying how far i was from where he was nor did he put a "Y" or "N" next to Radar Used. Right now I'm going to swap the exhaust back to OEM tomorrow after work and go to the cop station about a mile away from me and get the damn thing signed off..................piss me off cuz there are so many civics with fart cans around that area and they dont get pulled over.......
Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
barebonedvitz
return of the comeback

Drives: white '08LB..very nice,i like
sorry to hear what happened dude..... probably just wanted to see if u were a girl... or perhaps it was just that time of the month!

how's the car now?
barebonedvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #25
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Tanabe is carb leagal.. and sound leagal also. (I am sure... because my friend works at their dealer)
Hmm... It is not your problem, it is COPS problem! They just think your were speeding and they don't like the pipes (I guess). I think cops were been nice cuz your speeding, and just offer you a friendly ticket only (again, my guess).

Yeah, just follow what they want and be a good guy then put it back on. I am worry now cuz my mod parts are coming, and the Tanabe M/T also...

My car is actually for my wife as her daily drive. Abs Red w/ 25% tint around, no plate no bumber holes, and up coming Tanabe M/T, Tein, and SSR wheels...

I have Tanabe on my other car and it is never a problem (I guess we push with granny speed only, always).

I am worry now.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
yrsdrgn

it's probably the crappiest part about living in CA so much strict modification laws......even freaking San Mateo cops were harassing HIN people!!! one of the teams Project RIDE (I'm a former RIDE advocate) got one of the team member's car jacked by the police cuz his VIN numbers were re-located...and he'd been waiting 1 year for it while it was in the shop................I wish i had a certificate from Tanabe stating that it is legal so I could've showed that cop that what i was running was legal....................and the fckin court place that i have to pay doesn't even have my ticket in their records.........make me waste my gas driving there just to see if i can pay it..............
Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #27
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
The main laws to watch out for in so cal is the brake light system of your car. Modifying that can really screw you here.
If you bought an intake, header, exhaust, and whatever else that is stamped C.A.R.B. legal, the cop can suck a dick. By being CARB legal it has been allowed on all levels; noise, emmission, performance, ALL levels. I personally would have fought the ticket, if in fact your exhaust is carb legal.
It is not against CA state law to have modified intake or exhaust, other wise you would be able to buy this stuff everywhere and anywhere. I got rolled by a cop for the filter I calmped onto my intake ( picture reference - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=5526&page=2 )
He tried to say I had illegally modified air intake system. I asked him to pull out his little CA traffic code book and show me where it states that what I have is in fact modified, let alone illegal. Half hour later he still wrote me the ticket, took him to court, with pics and the judge told the cop to stop waisting time.
Search on the net to find out what they can actually roll you for, print the shit out and every time a cop pulls you over and tries to get you for somethign that is totally lame hit him with the list, then start asking for his ID and badge number, his on duty supervisor, and the name of his supervisors supervisor. The cop will more than likely give it a rest, at which point I fully encourage anyone with gumption to attempt to have a conversation with the cop. It's actually fun to get in their face, be the bigger ass-hat, and then act like nothing ever happened.
The cops over here have it very hard with their work schedules, I know plenty and never get to hang out with them because they work to fucking much. That makes them very pissy. Anyone who thinks they can work for 16Hours, get 3 to 5 hours worth of sleep get up and do it again for over seven days straight, might need a reality check. This does not excuse their innate ability to be cocks, but you should start to understand why.
My point is study what they can and cannnot do, you might have to go see them in court over half the time, but they also get to be put back into check, and knocked out of their superiority mode they get stuck in.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #28
yrsdrgn

being that Tanabe isn't a US brand it can't be CARB legal but it has the ISO 91 or 90 i believe which makes it legal to ship the products overseas that's about all i know of the exhaust.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #29
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
anything after the cats does not need a carb cert, it only needs to meet the noise restrictions, and ANY brand (homemade or by a company) can be legal if it meets the noise limits. if you get a modified exhaust ticket you can take it to the state ref and have the sound level checked (don't let a cop test it on the street, had that happen to me before you could take it to the ref) if it meets the reauirements you get the ticket signed off and possibly a peice of paper showing compliance, keep those with you.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #30
El Jefe

and it doesnt matter what country they part comes from, it can be carb cert if the company pays the state and runs the tests on the part to get it certified.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #31
yrsdrgn

haha i should mod up my car with legal parts, then go to the ref and have them gimme papers so i can't get hassled by the cops. Most likely I'll be selling the exhaust because it's too low to the ground with my lowered car and has high scratching rates in SF. Have two scratches on it already.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
how is everything going with this?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #33
yrsdrgn

i just sent in the ticket with a check and the notice from the mail that they sent me..........they sent me that damn notice two times already................
Old 06-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #34
El Jefe

you wont need to go to the ref (technically) but some cops are plain assholes (not most, but usualy they are if they pull you over for dumbass shit like exhaust and tint)
if you do get carb legal parts or a legal exhaust just carry the papers and show them to the cop, he should let you go since in fact you are legal (some cops don't care and will write you anyways)
Old 06-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #35
yrsdrgn

Well I dont have any CARB legal papers for the Tanabe exhaust but I'd like to have a certificate stating that it is in fact legal to have on my car since it does abide with the CA DB rules.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #36
El Jefe

the exaust won't ever have a CARB number, it will infact have a certificate (tanabe should provide those) or the ref can give you one.

CARB numbers are only for things that effect the emissions of the car, the exhaust after the cats does nothing but quite it down