Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
So I just checked the dipstick after driving 10 miles and with the engine running and the transmission fluid is on the first notch up from the bottom. Which means its really low.

This could be why the car isint shifting in the best manner.

Now, is it better for me to take it to the dealership so its on record, or put more in myself?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
So I just checked the dipstick after driving 10 miles and with the engine running and the transmission fluid is on the first notch up from the bottom. Which means its really low.

This could be why the car isint shifting in the best manner.

Now, is it better for me to take it to the dealership so its on record, or put more in myself?
Since you'd have to go to the dealer to buy the correct fluid, you might as well make them check/fill it.

Considering that they wanted to sell you more services for the tranny, I would make them do it with you standing right there.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Twistoffate0817

Ok, I guess I'll make an appointment to get it done.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
I'd get a print out of your previous complaints regarding the tranny too while you're there, just so that you have a copy of everything just in case.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
ruabadfish2

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
You hinted this is a "third" shop you've taken it to, any previous history with this place? Tin Foil hat on, maybe they removed the wrong drain plug, and started to drain the transmission fluid? I have 128K on my '07 auto, and I checked the level after getting home. I'm just below the first tic mark for hot on the picture on page one.

Related-ish story; My best friend bought his first new vehicle back when we graduated college, a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Come time for his first oil change...and he doesn't pay attention or read the manual, on which drain plug is which. I got the call to take him up to Autozone to get more transmission fluid.

I've been doing my own maintenance on my cars for over 10 years now, because I don't trust anyone else to touch my cars. Check the under side of your car too, and see if the drain plug for your transmission fluid looks like it's been tweaked. Or if it's "too clean" like someone wiped it off. Just a guess at why'd you have such a low level.
ruabadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruabadfish2 View Post
You hinted this is a "third" shop you've taken it to, any previous history with this place? Tin Foil hat on, maybe they removed the wrong drain plug, and started to drain the transmission fluid? I have 128K on my '07 auto, and I checked the level after getting home. I'm just below the first tic mark for hot on the picture on page one.

Related-ish story; My best friend bought his first new vehicle back when we graduated college, a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Come time for his first oil change...and he doesn't pay attention or read the manual, on which drain plug is which. I got the call to take him up to Autozone to get more transmission fluid.

I've been doing my own maintenance on my cars for over 10 years now, because I don't trust anyone else to touch my cars. Check the under side of your car too, and see if the drain plug for your transmission fluid looks like it's been tweaked. Or if it's "too clean" like someone wiped it off. Just a guess at why'd you have such a low level.

I did that once, with the first oil change on my Subaru. I remove the drain plug, catch the smell and color of the fluid flowing, and head off with the other car to pick up some ATF.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Twistoffate0817

So I took it to the dealership today, and the mechanic pulled out the dipstick and claimed the level was fine. I explained to him that this other shop told me my transmission was wearing and he looked at me like I was crazy. So lesson learned; do not bring my car to that quick lube place again. All they were looking for was more money.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Well, at least you were smart enough to ask here before falling for their pitch!

Those quick lube joints are a rip-off, it's so easy to do your own oil changes and that way you'll know it's done right!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yeah, "quick lube place" explains it all!
In most quick lube places, an oil change is just a "lost leader" and employees are instucted to pad the bill and sucker the customer to get services/parts they do not need.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
^ my ex-husband worked part time at Jiffy Lube, and they would tell people they had exhaust dust on their air filter to make a sale .... seriously .... I would never in my life take my car to one. F'n exhaust dust!! and people would fall for it!!!