Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
I would like to see what's available for adjusting the rear as well. As the car sits now, my Yaris tends to kick the rear out on turns if I take them too fast. I'm thinking that a better shock/strut setup would be good first. I thought about a front sway bar, but I think that'll just make me plow into the corner.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #20
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm stil not cofortable enough to really push the car round the corners yet, though I did go round a relatively sharp curve on the highway today roaring away in third gear... Big fat tires and stiff suspension certainly help, but it was stuck to the ground and felt quite stable. Felt damn good too

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #21
Biggie™

Drives: '07 3 Door Yaris of Doom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
That way, it can be farther be tweaked by sprinkling some swaybars or extra strut bars.

Front strut tower bars do nothing for the Yaris. Look how close the top of the strut is to the firewall! They only add weight... The limited amount of body flex our very ridged cars do have wont be noticeable until you replace all the soft rubber bushing with race only metal bushings. The strut tower bar is just a favorite of the ricer crowd do to it's low cost and ease of installation, your suspension dollars will be better spent elsewhere on the NCP91 chassis.

Also, a swaybar is just a stretched out spring... Randomly adding more swaybar wont help much. You really need to plan out suspension modifications with a good solid goal in mind. If you want a sportier driving experience, upgrade to a performance suspension setup by HKS, Cuscu, Tein or TRD. The right spring/shock setup will more than likely solve any issues. Only after those are sorted out should you start thinking about loosening or tightening up the car with a swaybar.

Look at what TRD Japan offers for their spec Vitz/Yaris race cars... No swaybar. No strut tower bar. Only Bushings, Springs and Struts/shocks. I'm not saying swaybars are bad/useless, but they shouldn't be your first suspension modification.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie™ View Post
Look at what TRD Japan offers for their spec Vitz/Yaris race cars... No swaybar. No strut tower bar. Only Bushings, Springs and Struts/shocks. I'm not saying swaybars are bad/useless, but they shouldn't be your first suspension modification.
sway bars are far from perfect as they are a band aid, designed to help super soft springs do a better job.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
Well sway bars are a tuning device. But anyways what would u guys compare the trd struts and springs to?
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #24
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Not really sure what to compare them to... all I know is that there is absolutely no comparison between that suspension and the stock suspension. Way, way stiffer. Byebye ride quality, hello to staying flat in the turns.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #25
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
snap oversteer is your enemy
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #26
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Progress Rear Sway Bar Pre-Order

I'm hosting a pre-order special for the new Progress Rear Sway Bar:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...7787#post47787
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
Redbat01
Yaris-My All Purpose Car!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
I bought my Yaris in September 2009. I installed a TRD rear anti-sway bar and it improved the handling significantly. Less understeer.
Redbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote