Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Here's what I don't understand.

1. All the gas stations raised their prices pretty much the same night. Right?
2. How is it they get to instantly charge the new price for the gas that's still in their tanks that they bought at the OLD price?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
^ exactly...it is a weird and unexplainable situation and no one makes the people held accountable as they should. When the gas started its hike the fall of 08 because of a storm coming there was a local station that actually hit 8 bucks a gallon and they did it to actually keep the chaos away from their establishment. So has there been any indication of the pricing dropping again anytime soon?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Please explain to me where, and how 8.68 percent came up in my post...l
(oh and if you believe that the COST to produce gas has increased at the same rate the PRICE has here in Cali over the last week, and that the extra revenue derived from such increases doesn't go directly, penny for penny to the oil companies bottom line....I've got some beachfront property you'll like for next to nothing....)
See my post #6. 8.68 percent is the net profit margin for Exxon Mobil for Fiscal Year 2011. Apple's net profit margin for the same period was almost 24 percent. If one looks, historically, at the net profit margin of oil companies there are other businesses that have a much higher profit margin. That historical data will also INCLUDE the ebb and flow of different periods like what California is currently experiencing. People like to demonize oil companies. It's cool. And the usual reason is the price of gas. Oil companies might deserve to be demonized re spills and other things (as long as you also demonize other companies for their misdeeds), but oil companies don't deserve to be demonized for the price of gas. The data doesn't support it. The percentage of the cost of a gallon of gas that is the tax component is FAR higher than the oil company overhead component. You should complain to your state government. The tax component of a gallon of gas purchased in California is among the largest of all U.S. states.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Given that they pretty much have us over a barrel literally and figuratively, oil companies should be able to charge enough for gas to have huge profit margins...gouging us. The net profit margin for Exxon Mobil for Fiscal Year 2011 was 8.68 percent. Apple Inc.'s net profit margin for the same period was 23.95 percent. Shouldn't people be nearly 3 times as pissed off at Apple as they are at Exxon Mobil? Why doesn't Apple lower it's prices to 'get with the program' and not be so 'greedy'? Why doesn't Apple have 3 times the 'static and noise' from protestors that Exxon Mobil does? (and an argument could be made that Foxconn's treatment of workers is as bad as Exxon Mobil's environmental slip ups). Why aren't people many more times as pissed off about Apple CEO Tim Cook's compensation as they are about Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson's much smaller compensation? A reporter stopped an Occupy Wall Street poster (who was typing on a MacBook Pro) and asked her why she was using a Macbook Pro given her stance. She didn't have a cogent answer. IMO, one of the answers to these questions is that many people think Apple is cool and Exxon Mobil is not. Also, people don't like to pay what they feel is a high price for something that they need that evaporates. One could make the argument that Apple products are somewhat like cigarettes or alcohol. Not a physical addiction like the other two, but some people seem to be nearly as obsessed. People don't need them, but some people seem to be nearly addicted to Apple products. Apple realizes this and can charge what they charge. People keep 'paying the fare'. Also, many people have oil company stock in personal accounts and retirement accounts. I just think the harping on oil company executives gets a little tiresome sometimes. FWIW, the only connection I have to any oil company is a very small fractional share of an oil lease that my grandfather inherited from a friend of his and I gross about 40 dollars per month in income from this fractional lease....and this is through a small company, not a big oil company. I just have the opinion I have. It isn't influenced by 40 dollars per month.
man this gave me a headache
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
^ exactly...it is a weird and unexplainable situation and no one makes the people held accountable as they should. When the gas started its hike the fall of 08 because of a storm coming there was a local station that actually hit 8 bucks a gallon and they did it to actually keep the chaos away from their establishment. So has there been any indication of the pricing dropping again anytime soon?
In 2009 31 states had anti gouging laws, including California. In most of these states, including California, the laws are so specifically drawn that hardly any companies ever get investigated or prosecuted. In 2005 only 50 cases in the entire state of California were even investigated....and the number of those that were prosecuted....zero.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
man this gave me a headache
my points are that: 1. Oil companies might deserve grief for other reasons, but not the price of gas. and 2. Such criticism isn't consistent because other companies with much higher profit margins either aren't getting any grief or aren't getting near the grief that oil companies are --- the criticism is based on emotion, not on facts.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
We have plenty of fuel, it's not the right "blend" for this time of year. Plain and simple we're suffering the effects of the nanny state and all the (expletives deleted) that vote for the politicians that put these types of shit regulations on the books...."summer blend" and "winter blend"...morons.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
We have plenty of fuel, it's not the right "blend" for this time of year. Plain and simple we're suffering the effects of the nanny state and all the (expletives deleted) that vote for the politicians that put these types of shit regulations on the books...."summer blend" and "winter blend"...morons.
Moonbeam must have been channeling the thoughts of pissed off residents such as yourself. He ordered that production of Winter blend can begin immediately, instead of on October 31st
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ I like referring to him by his old nickname beacause I can't believe the citizens of California elected him again. I admit Meg Whitman = terrible alternative, but she still would have been better than a second go round with Moonbeam.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Hershey recently posted a link to the Mpg-O-Matic sight he watches re the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. While I was looking at that, I noticed an in site link entitled Gas Prices Explained (posted on 10-5-12). They are talking about long term trends and don't mention regional factors within the U.S. My first thought (even before the Exxon net profit vs Apple analogy) was that you need oil to make gas and oil is a commodity and it is also a commodity that has its base price in U.S. Dollars...so if you effectively have 'additional' dollars (with QE) then that should make the price of gas go up. I didn't bring this up, because I didn't have any supply figures at hand and I didn't know if a drop in U.S. demand only would matter (it did in 2008, but that is a different animal because a drop in demand wasn't limited to the U.S.).

The article also shows that YW member Mazilla is right. It isn't an issue of supply either. There is a point I wish had been mentioned in the article (it may be on the video mentioned). The article mentions that as the dollar declines in value it takes more dollars to buy a gallon of gas, but it doesn't say why. The why is what I mentioned my first thought was (and by no means an original one) -- that you need oil to produce gas and oil is a worldwide commodity that is CURRENTLY priced in U.S. dollars (how many years longer this will be the case is a topic of debate).

The Mpg-O-Matic article (same as my previous post) doesn't put oil company 'greed' into the equation, because 'it' is irrelevant.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

I paid $3.359 Yesterday at a station in a part of Harris County that is fairly close to my house (this was the lowest price for that zip on Gas Buddy). I then checked 94941 in Marin County, CA and the cheapest station that allows use of a credit card (FF miles ) was 4.799...and the all cash station was only a little bit less. Wow. I also saw some price signs for stations in the city (SF) on a a national cable channel for 5.689 I think it was. Wow.