Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #19
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
.Kevin you would poop yourself if you heard a really nice system in a Yaris.
He he...He should come listen to ours...

If you're plopping $5K into your car and it's too exaggerated, then whoever sold you that $5K system is a (insert your own explative).

Derick's correct technically, in our source units, there is no specific "trebble" or "bass". There IS the 31 bands of EQ, the time alignment, and the other insignificant features...

Personally I agree with the last statement about music outside the car. In my case, I can "project" sound (actually the glass is fairly transparent for my mids and highs). I don't unless my windows are down. My panels do NOT rattle. There is SO much wasted energy if that happens. Regardless of the musical tastes, a car is so much more challenging to do a system in. If you can get great sound out of a car, a room is NO challenge.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
typicaljawaiian808

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Im a little bit of a basshead...if you ever get into that I can help.
DC Power Engineering
Knukoncepts
Fosgate
Stinger
typicaljawaiian808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Funny thing is nobody said anything about the system being loud. Nobody said anything about disturbing other drivers. Just because I have an expensive setup in my car doesn't mean it is loud. I am after sound quality. I like being able to hear the singer dead center in front of me and being able to tell that the drummer is directly behind them and hearing the bass guitar on one side of the stage and lead guitar on the opposite side. Some people don't understand. Everybody has different tastes.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
He he...He should come listen to ours...

If you're plopping $5K into your car and it's too exaggerated, then whoever sold you that $5K system is a (insert your own explative).

Derick's correct technically, in our source units, there is no specific "trebble" or "bass". There IS the 31 bands of EQ, the time alignment, and the other insignificant features...

Personally I agree with the last statement about music outside the car. In my case, I can "project" sound (actually the glass is fairly transparent for my mids and highs). I don't unless my windows are down. My panels do NOT rattle. There is SO much wasted energy if that happens. Regardless of the musical tastes, a car is so much more challenging to do a system in. If you can get great sound out of a car, a room is NO challenge.
31 bands! wow, i hope it is all electronic nowadays. I remember having a 16 or 17 band eq in my father's supra was annoying enough to fiddle with, especially if you hit something accidentally.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
google his (sqcomps) HU. it is definetly electronic... (smile!)
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #24
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
Funny thing is nobody said anything about the system being loud. Nobody said anything about disturbing other drivers. Just because I have an expensive setup in my car doesn't mean it is loud. I am after sound quality. I like being able to hear the singer dead center in front of me and being able to tell that the drummer is directly behind them and hearing the bass guitar on one side of the stage and lead guitar on the opposite side. Some people don't understand. Everybody has different tastes.
+ 2
Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
31 bands! wow, i hope it is all electronic nowadays. I remember having a 16 or 17 band eq in my father's supra was annoying enough to fiddle with, especially if you hit something accidentally.
The P-99 it's like magic!!!

Just google it or check out this LINK

L/R Independent 31-Band Digital Equalizer
Precisely control the in-cabin acoustics with the built-in 31-band Digital Equalizer. Unparalleled flexibility is provided through either Left/Right independent setup, or for easier setup L/R common is available. Adjusts with 1/3 octave step from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and there are 5 custom memories to allow multiple setups.

Auto Time Alignment and Auto EQ
Time alignment automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to driver’s position and adjusts speaker sound output timing accordingly by 1/4 inch differences, so that sound from all speakers reaches the driver’s ears in perfect sync.

Auto EQ tailors specific musical characteristics according to taste, uses a microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fi ne-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. These entire processes occur in 543 seamless steps in just about 5 minutes.

32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP
The DEX-P99RS incorporates 32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP for high-precision and highspeed sound processing. The unique use of 32-bit "floating point" DSP offers significantly higher accuracy, especially a high frequencies and low signal levels. This new DSP is five times faster than the equivalent DSP used in the DEH-P800PRS or DEH-P880PRS models.

derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #26
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4-Door 1.5L
If you're not planning on spending too much money, then you should go with a new aftermarket head unit and new speakers for both the front and back. The power from the head unit should be enough to make your speakers sound great, no need for an ampliphier. If clarity is what you want, then I say go for a kenwood head unit. They are AWESOME! I like Alpine too, but they are not quite as good with clarity, but they do pound out some better bass. As for speakers, I think Alpine, Infinity, and Kicker provide some of the best sound for the price and you can find them almost anywhere.
geniusmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
The P-99 it's like magic!!!

Just google it or check out this LINK

L/R Independent 31-Band Digital Equalizer
Precisely control the in-cabin acoustics with the built-in 31-band Digital Equalizer. Unparalleled flexibility is provided through either Left/Right independent setup, or for easier setup L/R common is available. Adjusts with 1/3 octave step from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and there are 5 custom memories to allow multiple setups.

Auto Time Alignment and Auto EQ
Time alignment automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to driver’s position and adjusts speaker sound output timing accordingly by 1/4 inch differences, so that sound from all speakers reaches the driver’s ears in perfect sync.

Auto EQ tailors specific musical characteristics according to taste, uses a microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fi ne-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. These entire processes occur in 543 seamless steps in just about 5 minutes.

32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP
The DEX-P99RS incorporates 32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP for high-precision and highspeed sound processing. The unique use of 32-bit "floating point" DSP offers significantly higher accuracy, especially a high frequencies and low signal levels. This new DSP is five times faster than the equivalent DSP used in the DEH-P800PRS or DEH-P880PRS models.

Oh my! I'd say leave that one to the pros, that is amazing. You need an ear far more attuned than mine to adjust that thing.

So is Pioneer the hu most of you sound peeps are using?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

I think Kenwood is by far the most popular. Because of price and sound quality.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #29
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The P-99 is what Derick is using. I'm using the P-01. There is a slight difference.

The step up is the Carrozzeria X tuner and outboard processor. That to the tune of at least $4k.

IMHO the P-01/P-99 source is the best single DIN available abilities considered.

Why?- You'd be suprised what your ears can get used to when tuning a system in. The more options equal greater flexibility in this case.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #30
daibatzu

Drives: yaris
sorry guys didn't get email notifications on new posts (I thought I set that up). Basically for me, the yaris speakers are simply not good enough. It has this unclear foamy sound which sounds like you have a walrus screaming in your cabin when the volume is a bit loud. I've been searching for 6X9 and 6.5 speakers that will fit to no avail (according to amazon). Will post a picture of my dashboard on monday since the car was bought in dubai and may not even be the same spec as the yaris sedans sold in america. So confusing.
daibatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #31
daibatzu

also forgot to add, my budget is approx 500 dollars.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #32
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

If you have to work with a budget, get a Kenwood Receiver(average price $100-150), Alpine speakers for front and rear($80-100 per pair average for type s and about $120-150 per pair average for type R), and a rockford fosgate amp(average price $200 for 4 channel). This is all you need for an awesome sound system on a budget. If you already know how to install yourself, I say buy these on eBay, it will be your best bet for a cheap buy. If not, buy from crutchfield.com as they have everything you need to install these yourself with ease. They usually come with most hardware and instruction for installation for free with purchase and they have really good tech support and DIY videos.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
DailyDriver

yup... if you are looking for cheap and easy, i think that is the right way to go genuis.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #34
daibatzu

thanks a lot genius
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
DailyDriver

what did you end up doing?