Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Ah. I see room is not a problem...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
I see no reason to require a full size wheel as a spare. The spare provided does the job. My 2 cents
To buy the oem spare tire in the correct size is the exact same price as to buy a full size spare. Gee, which would I purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Ah. I see room is not a problem...
indeed.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I see no reason to require a full size wheel as a spare. The spare provided does the job. My 2 cents
I'm leaving next week for a trip to Montana and a few other states. I bought a wheel+tire off the 'California Yaris' that CTScott purchased to part out because I don't want to risk getting a flat 100+ miles from the nearest garage with a 'space saver spare' while on this trip. Now, if I get a flat on the trip, I can take the flat to the next Firestone location (free fix) that is CONVENIENT, and not have to immediately make that fix the top priority .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
According to my owners' manual, a full size tire will not fit inside the spare tire well. That is why the rear seat backs have those straps. In the event of a flat, the flat tire is supposed to be strapped to the back of the rear seat back.

Or did you modify your hatch area somehow to allow a full size tire/wheel to fit?
A full size spare also fits with the back seat in and the package shelf put back in place. One just has to take out the 'load floor shelf' (the one with the little 'twist dial locks') that normally covers the space saver spare area and let the tire mounted on wheel rest in the 'space saver bed' on the tread.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #23
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
I wasn't being sarcastic just stating an opinion, nothing to do with price.

As for a flat......if it's punctured in the thread I repair it on the spot, unless it's a cut. I did 7,000 miles in 2-1/2 months this winter in places where theirs no houses, electricity, cell............nothing unless you have a satellite phone. I carry a 12v air pump, pro garage plug kit for tire repair. But that's just me and I was just wondering by the way. I understand and respect your point of view. ;)

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic
I know, that's one reason why I put the smiley face on my previous post (I was just trying to make the word convenience stick out.....not meaning to shout).

Quote:
As for a flat......if it's punctured in the thread I repair it on the spot, unless it's a cut. I did 7,000 miles in 2-1/2 months this winter in places where theirs no houses, electricity, cell............nothing unless you have a satellite phone. I carry a 12v air pump, pro garage plug kit for tire repair. But that's just me and I was just wondering by the way. I understand and respect your point of view. ;)
I have a 12v compressor I keep in my Yaris. I remember the patch kit suggestion from a few people on another thread, but I have yet to buy one, let alone get comfortable using one . I wish Bronsin had already driven to Alaska and posted about it (and wish I'd known about YW) when my Yaris was new. I might have tried to drive to Alaska myself.....and a patch kit would have especially come in handy on a trip like that.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
II wish Bronsin had already driven to Alaska and posted about it (and wish I'd known about YW) when my Yaris was new. I might have tried to drive to Alaska myself.....and a patch kit would have especially come in handy on a trip like that.
The roads going to and in AK really weren't much of a problem condition wise at all. For the most part they were as good or better than any 2 lane road here in NJ!

Whats your mean time between failures on your old Yaris? From TX you just need about 8 0r 9k miles....

Get a plug kit at pep boys or equal for less than $10 and imagine yourself using it!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The roads going to and in AK really weren't much of a problem condition wise at all. For the most part they were as good or better than any 2 lane road here in NJ!

Whats your mean time between failures on your old Yaris? From TX you just need about 8 0r 9k miles....

Get a plug kit at pep boys or equal for less than $10 and imagine yourself using it!
That depends on what one would be considered a failure re the Yaris....something out of the blue....or that PLUS milking something that has exhibited fairly blatant warning signs (a battery would be one example). I guess I'm afraid I might get a cluster of issues as trini_per4mance has (not a big deal for him as they happened on home turf and he does all his own work on his Yaris) and that this might come at a lower mileage point than with his Yaris. I'd just feel more comfortable getting to Alaska via driving doing it like you did (when it was new).
Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #27
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My sources want $85 now for a steelie....
Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic just stating an opinion, nothing to do with price.

Except for me it has everything to do with price, since my car came with 15" wheels, and I have aftermarket 14" wheels on them now, so in order to have any spare tire I have to buy it. I haven't bothered to have one in years but I figure it would be good to pick something up. Especially if I can get one at a local junkyard for cheap. Just need to find the time to visit one.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #29
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Except for me it has everything to do with price, since my car came with 15" wheels, and I have aftermarket 14" wheels on them now, so in order to have any spare tire I have to buy it. I haven't bothered to have one in years but I figure it would be good to pick something up. Especially if I can get one at a local junkyard for cheap. Just need to find the time to visit one.
OK I understand. Rim diameter doesn't matter as long as your overall tire diameter is the same. Correct me if I'm missing something here.

My Yaris came with 15" wheels too, 185/60R15 stock size which mine are 23.7" diameter approx. I have my summer wheels on now which are on 16"......205/45R16 tires and tire diameter is approx 23.5". Pretty much the same. In all honesty with the type of driving and locations I was in this winter, a full spare on winter thread would have been a good option. The space saver might have left me in a predicament during snow storm drives. I'm lucky around here to have great scrap yards that have a good inventory and well organized.

Hope you get lucky and find easily what you need.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote