Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
o2cavyss

Drives: 2009 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
the spacer can be 1/2" and the speakers will fit just fine but if you have 3/4" layin around thats fine too, id hold off on the mounting holes til you have the actual speaker to be sure, it only takes like 30 seconds anyways.

a little ribbon sealer between the door/spacer and spacer/speaker would help too.
I've already got the 1/2" inch laying on the kitchen table and was drawing the template. I just wanted to have it all done before tomorrow because I was planning on painting the spacers and I wanted to allow adequate time to dry and not have my door and speaker taken apart while doing it.
o2cavyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2cavyss View Post
I've already got the 1/2" inch laying on the kitchen table and was drawing the template. I just wanted to have it all done before tomorrow because I was planning on painting the spacers and I wanted to allow adequate time to dry and not have my door and speaker taken apart while doing it.
if you do a light coat of Spray paint it should be dry in under an hr when cold (say sub 50's), and under 10 minutes when warm (over 80, and dry outside). I swear there's been times when I've done coats close to 5 mins apart when it's been in the sun on a hot summer day.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
if you do a light coat of Spray paint it should be dry in under an hr when cold (say sub 50's), and under 10 minutes when warm (over 80, and dry outside). I swear there's been times when I've done coats close to 5 mins apart when it's been in the sun on a hot summer day.
Good to know. I think i'm just gonna wait til I get the speakers tomorrow and get my measurements to draw the inner circle. I'll go ahead and cut it and paint it like that and just worry about drilling the holes when we do the install on Monday. I had wanted the holes drilled to be sealed by the paint but it probably wont matter much
Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
o2cavyss

toys came in...
box and polyfil

Knu wiring kit

Spacers/brackets before speakers showed up today

Zeus 6.5c

Jenson power 760 4 channel amp

Pioneer 10" 1000W/200Wrms

MTX re-Q

Scosche Accumat

After getting measurments from speakers

Sub grill

Sub box after sealing with silicon caulk and lining with polyfill

I haven't used photobucket in several years and I saw some photos of my Focus...made me sad

Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
sexy toys, the knu stuff is gorgeous of course.

hurry up and mount stuff so we can see.

since ya know...youre doing it anyways. how much for a nice set of spacers? mine are shoddy thanks to CC

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
sexy toys, the knu stuff is gorgeous of course.

hurry up and mount stuff so we can see.

since ya know...youre doing it anyways. how much for a nice set of spacers? mine are shoddy thanks to CC
thanks, i'll go ahead and cut an extra set for you and check shipping prices. Not looking to make any money off it, but depending on how much shipping is, it may not even be worth it to you. I'll be taking plenty of pics throughout this process and posting them up. Thanks again for following along.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

put em in a flat rate box if theyll fit, ill do up to 15 for shipping but that seems excessive.

just let me know.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I like the stance of that Focus. It looks good!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I like the stance of that Focus. It looks good!
Thanks sqcomp, I loved that car but lost it about 2 years ago when a Houston police officer blindly "gunned it" across traffic and t-boned me. It's like losing a family member when you've put so much into a car
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #28
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
oh man...did he give you a ticket for being in his way too?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #29
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I know i'm kinda late on the topic, but since you went hifonics on the components, see how that jensen amp works out if not crunch makes the amp i pasted below, Crunch, Hifonics and MB Quart are all made by Maxxonics. Just an idea if you need a lil bit more power for the components and it runs under 80 bucks.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ch+P900.4.html

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #30
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
oh man...did he give you a ticket for being in his way too?
no ticket, he wasn't running his lights or his siren. We never even saw him, we were just driving down the road and then we weren't. When I looked out my window the first thing I saw was the big ram guard thing they have on their front bumpers. The officer almost laughingly said "I thought it was clear so I just gunned it." Even worse than that, they are protected by the city so it had to be filed on my insurance and because somehow no one was hurt, they took more than three months to settle it with my insurance. I'm getting all riled up again...

I will say, in my two wrecks my cars have been totaled and I have walked away unharmed when I shouldn't have. First one was my Cavalier that hydroplaned on the way to church--you could see the lines in the ditch where my car spun around a street sign without touching it then rolled 3 and 1/2 times. And with the Focus being Tboned on the driver side--the entire driver side was jacked up, but the damage was incredibly minimal only at the driver door...God is good

Sorry for getting off topic, just haven't talked about this in a while.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #31
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
I know i'm kinda late on the topic, but since you went hifonics on the components, see how that jensen amp works out if not crunch makes the amp i pasted below, Crunch, Hifonics and MB Quart are all made by Maxxonics. Just an idea if you need a lil bit more power for the components and it runs under 80 bucks.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ch+P900.4.html
Thanks for the suggestion, I did look at that one a little before I placed my order. The only thing was I didn't like the power output. Spec sheet says under 60 rms x 4 channels and 225 rms x 2 channels. The Jensen came with a "certification" of the power output of 75 rms x 4 channels and 190 rms x 2 channels. The components are 100 rms and the sub is 200 rms. I just wanted to give them some breathing room. Who knows what the real power output would be, but by the specs the front speakers would get less power and the sub might get too much. I think this should be fine for what I wanted, but if I do upgrade, I'll go with a more powerful 4 channel amp and a more powerful sub.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I'll let you know how they pair off i'm in the process of redoing my audio, i plan to pair off the hifonics components with this amp, I'm also going to get the brutus 1600 watt on either a pair of kicker cvr's which i have now , or sell them and get some Alpine type R's, I'm trying to see about a ported box since my rear seats don't fold down, Right now the Cvr's are in a sealed box and sound nice for having a crappy amp on them.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #33
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
I'll let you know how they pair off i'm in the process of redoing my audio, i plan to pair off the hifonics components with this amp, I'm also going to get the brutus 1600 watt on either a pair of kicker cvr's which i have now , or sell them and get some Alpine type R's, I'm trying to see about a ported box since my rear seats don't fold down, Right now the Cvr's are in a sealed box and sound nice for having a crappy amp on them.
Cool, sounds like a bit more power and space consumption than i'm looking for in mine, but be sure and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #34
o2cavyss

A pair for me and a pair for Architect if he wants them. They are by-no-means done to professional standards, but they should work just fine. I sanded them a bit tonight to clean up some rough edges and plan to use the rattle cans to lay down some primer and flat black paint tomorrow before work tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #35
o2cavyss

Partial install yesterday...
I enlisted the help and expertise of a good friend (race car mechanic, master electrician, lots of sound system experience) for the install and we started on it yesterday.
but much of the plans changed...
1. The amp is no longer being mounted under the pass seat, but instead is in the trunk attached to the back of the seat.
2. There was not enough 12 gauge wire in the Knu kit to wire the speakers so we did it in some 16 gauge he had laying around. I don't know how we would have gotten the Knu wire thru the door anyway considering how difficult it was with the much slimmer 16 gauge.
3. Most of the 12 gauge is being used to wire the sub, and leave enough slack so I can take it out of the car while still connected.
4. Instead of wiring the re-Q to the stock headunit, he is disconnecting the rear speakers and using the their wires to get the signal to the re-Q. I'm trusting him that this will work. If it does, we dont have to take the dash apart, we don't have the cut the stock unit's wires, and we don't have to mount the re-Q up front where it would be either hard to access or in the way and in plain-sight.
5. We had trouble finding a good place to flush-mount the tweeters, so we are using the angled mount to mount them near the speaker and on pretty much the same angle as the speaker. Its not as clean as I was hoping, but the position of it should work really well.

I think that's it. Planning to finish the install when I get out of class today, but rain/snow mix here in Houston may hinder those plans.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #36
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

yes I am picking up those spacers lol just let me know the shipping sir.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver