Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I concur, to get anywhere near 50 mpg driving over 60 mph means that there are additional circumstances like tailwind or down hill slope. I’m not shooting down the poster, just stating what I have learned by experience. If I have a 5 mph headwind, going 55 mph I lose 3 to 4 mpg for that section (15 highway miles) of my commute. If there is a tailwind I can gain that 3 or 4 mpg!

Also, to folks who are trying to get good mileage and are falling short even though they drive 55 mph or under… accelerate slooooower. The Yaris, at least my 5-speed, will eat up the gas if you accelerate with a heavy foot. Heck, anything less than feather foot will drop the mileage big time. Go slow and steady, shifting just before you hit the power point of the next gear. It is going to take you longer than you might like to get up to speed but works. Same with accelerating on the open road, use a light foot and slooooowly get to your speed. Of course with other traffic you have to trade fuel efficiency for not pissing other folks off. If other vehicles are far enough behind me I’ll take it slow, if there is traffic I’ll accelerate faster but not quite as fast as most others.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
I've been driving my Yaris for a little over 3 months and am getting around 31MPG, the lowest I've had is 28, while the highest was around 34.

My driving is all city driving, most a 13 mile stop/go commute to work. I was getting the higher mileages back in February and March when the weather was cooler, but the hot/humid south Louisiana summer is here, so A/C is a necessity, and of course the mileage has dropped.

My Yaris is a 2009 5spd with 15inch wheels.

RedStickHam
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Cosworth

Drives: S sedan
No offense taken from anyone by me. :)

Just stating what I saw on my most recent trip. I know that a more typical shorter trips that I take (25-50 mi hwy runs) results in ~40-44 mpg (depending on the wind) in rural MI.

One thing I've learned is anticipate traffic, terrain and road condition ahead of time and drive as smoothly as possible (w/ some pulse-n-glide & DFCO). If I can get a few more miles per gallon by driving smoother, then I don't mind taking a few more minutes to get to my destination. :) :)
Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
i am so excited filled up today and finally after i yr 3 mos 22k miles i got 50.179 MPG.
08 sedan s 5sp driving 50-60 no A/C windows down. tires at 32 psi. reg unleaded and no mods. my overall avg is now 43.9
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerebilt View Post
i am so excited filled up today and finally after i yr 3 mos 22k miles i got 50.179 MPG.
08 sedan s 5sp driving 50-60 no A/C windows down. tires at 32 psi. reg unleaded and no mods. my overall avg is now 43.9
Great job at showing people there is no secret to getting over 50 in our cars.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
AnotherYarisKid

Drives: 2007 4-door
Rather amazing number.

I was terribly happy by recently setting my personal best with 43.78mpg on a 230 mile trip this past weekend. Granted the first half of the trip was with tire pressure in the 23 range (i know i know) but we fixed that in the middle.

Probably 50 miles of the 230 was on local roads and up and down hills, with the rest on the highway.

I can totally sympathize with the poster above who said his gf gets much worse mileage. I still have my gf hitting 4000 rpm off a stop light. I just cringe.
AnotherYarisKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Weather and traffic (route) conditions can help out as much as most mods and dedication to technique wins out over everything.

My latest commuting max is 52.5 Mpg (duplicated 3x) by taking the scenic route using only county 2 lane highway to get home from work. {50 miles of 40Mph speed limits}
With the warmer mornings and fewer construction issues my average on the trip into work has steadily crept up from 42 Mpg, to 45, and this morning 49.7.

Watching the Scanguage II certainly helps to tune in and give it just the right amount of gas to maintain desired speed or revs. After a year of practice, I can just about feel when I am putting the right amount of pressure to the gas.

It has taken a year to be able to do it consistently but I have met my goal of doubling the average commuting mileage of my previous ride.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
Weather and traffic (route) conditions can help out as much as most mods and dedication to technique wins out over everything.

My latest commuting max is 52.5 Mpg (duplicated 3x) by taking the scenic route using only county 2 lane highway to get home from work. {50 miles of 40Mph speed limits}
With the warmer mornings and fewer construction issues my average on the trip into work has steadily crept up from 42 Mpg, to 45, and this morning 49.7.

Watching the Scanguage II certainly helps to tune in and give it just the right amount of gas to maintain desired speed or revs. After a year of practice, I can just about feel when I am putting the right amount of pressure to the gas.

It has taken a year to be able to do it consistently but I have met my goal of doubling the average commuting mileage of my previous ride.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #27
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I drive in rural Michigan too- commute to work is 33 miles one way. I just had my best tank at 41.24mpg. This was with using ac about 1/3 of the tank, and with anywhere from 300 to 700lbs of passengers.