Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Once I had the floormat interfere with the brake pedal. Barely stopped for a stop sign.
I had this happen to me on the freeway...
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
P.S. most cars with an auto trans lockout the highest gear and hold the lower gears longer when the engine is cold, like another member said, its to heat the engine up quicker by forcing it to work under a greater load untill it is warm. Every car that i've owned with a fuel injector system has been like this. Its not a safety concern, the car will go just as fast as it would with the top gear its just going to rev a lot higher to get there and may seem like it doesn't want to, though thats simply the car and the mfr telling you not to really push it with a cold engine. Buying any other car on the market in the US with an Auto trans will get you the same feature you complain about on the Yaris, do your homework before you put yourself thru a lot of wasted time and money getting a new car just because of this.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500snakz View Post
That is true for sure. BUT can you see my side of this also? If you can't get out of the way it does increase your odds of getting rear ended.
If you got an idiot driving too fast behind you, or you pulled out in front of somebody and can't get out of their way, try hitting the hazard button until the engine warms up.

I don't have that problem because mines not auto, but I'm sure the feature is to protect your transmission under cold conditions...sort of like certain vehicles that protect compressors when they won't switch on when it's too cold out, or certain HP cars that won't make boost if the engine is too cold...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
My dealership took care of that "safety issue" for me; they sold me a 5-speed.

as did mine! I wouldn't have an auto in any car i owned
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich k View Post
P.S. most cars with an auto trans lockout the highest gear and hold the lower gears longer when the engine is cold, like another member said, its to heat the engine up quicker by forcing it to work under a greater load untill it is warm. Every car that i've owned with a fuel injector system has been like this. Its not a safety concern, the car will go just as fast as it would with the top gear its just going to rev a lot higher to get there and may seem like it doesn't want to, though thats simply the car and the mfr telling you not to really push it with a cold engine. Buying any other car on the market in the US with an Auto trans will get you the same feature you complain about on the Yaris, do your homework before you put yourself thru a lot of wasted time and money getting a new car just because of this.
Yeah I agree...BUT most lock out OVERDRIVE on a 5 or 6 speed auto...NOT a 4 speed where you are driving in 3rd gear with the engine screaming at 40 mph...I never said anything about getting rid of this car. It's simply a safety concern that I have with this car.(And thats MY opinion) And for the so called HOMEWORK...Where is it stated anywhere that the car will not shift when the light is on ?...REMEMBER: I did not have the owners manual before I bought the car...so please tell me where it is stated? I also bought the car in JUNE in the summer when it was hot outside.
TELL ME WHERE TOYOTA SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT IT!
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
TELL ME WHERE TOYOTA SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT IT!
I can't see toyota featuring this function in TV ad anytime soon. What is the RPM at 40 mph and 3rd gear?

Recent cars I've owned with this "feature" Hyundai Elantra automatic 4 speed, Suzuki Aerio, automatic 4 speed, Kia Rondo, automatic 4 speed.

All of these had more powerful engines so getting out of the way wasn't an issue. The Aerio was the most annoying, others it was barely noticeable. I test drove the automatic trans Yaris and decided it may not be a good idea. That was not even considering the lockout feature when it was cold outside.

Solutions?
Park in a heated garage
Swap for a manual transmission Yaris

I would think all comparable cars of this size with automatic transmissions would have the same lock out and be really annoying with a small engine.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #25
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
What is the RPM at 40 mph and 3rd gear?

I don't know because it does not have a tach.
I really like this car but this is really annoying. I guess its an econo car thing and I will have to live with it. It is a safety issue tho.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #26
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
so i pressed the pedal down far, and nothing happened..so i pulled over..just checked things out, and it was fine after that.
You pushed the brake pedal to the floor and nothing happened? then you kept on driving?What did you check to give you the confidence that you wouldnt lose your brakes again?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #27
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
And also, does anyone have problems with the automatics not shifting after 40 mph?

Your in New Jersey and here in SE NY the winter has not really began yet. I have an automatic and have not noticed the shifting problem on cool mornings. What are you going to do when it gets really cold? Of course, I wait until the car is warmed up a few minutes so maybe that is why I have no problem. But 0 temps will be here in January / Feb so maybe you have to let your car warm up or else you have another problem?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
I had this happen to me on the freeway...

This happened to me on a Saturn. Ive noticed my ECHO has a hook near the seat to keep the mat from bunching up under the pedal area. Course it broke off!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #29
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
What is the RPM at 40 mph and 3rd gear?

I don't know because it does not have a tach.
I really like this car but this is really annoying. I guess its an econo car thing and I will have to live with it. It is a safety issue tho.
You can have mine(j/k). I think they are pointless....even on a standard.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #30
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
WELL ORIGINAL POSTER (O.P) any update?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #31
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
I like the "warmup" mode the car enters upon starting and being cold. Keeps me from going to fast in the school one right by my apartment on the way to work.

Although I am sure all the moms in their SUV's who think they need to drive 60mph in a 25mph zone sure don't like to be behind me in the morning!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #32
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Okay, so i took the car back to toyota, and they checked it all and ran it thru computers and such..and they came back with nothing. They claim they did nothing on my vehicle, but the brakes are 100% better now. So the brake problem is better. I have not had the problem yet, so im keeping my fingers crossed. About the acceleration issue, they said it was fine, and so far it has not done it again. Ive began letting my yaris warm up in the mornings to prevent it from happening again. (if it was due to it being cold out) I love the car, but if the problems happen again i duno what im gona do. I dont know what i can do. So just cross your fingers that its fine! :D
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #33
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
sounds like you are accidentally placing the car in 3 instead of D when you come out of the neutral you should make sure the selector moves over to the right.

PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS SIMILAR THREAD!!! <<<<CLICK
No i make sure its in "D" on the dashboard, and i check and look to see its to the right side.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
it takes like two blocks or maybe a minute or two for my car's cool temp light to go off, does anyone really live that close to a freeway that they need to be doing 40+ mph almost immediately after starting up the car? If you're driving on the freeway while any car's engine is still warming up, I think you've got more issues to worry about than just safety.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #35
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
My dealership took care of that "safety issue" for me; they sold me a 5-speed.
Well played!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #36
zombiegeisha
Gamer Chick

Drives: Toyota Yaris '07
Send a message via AIM to zombiegeisha
That's what that light's about. I asked about it at the dealership and they didn't give any real reason, just "Your car is ok". Good to know!
zombiegeisha is offline   Reply With Quote