Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
EXACTLY.

When your new Toyota starts looking like a Mazda... you know you are in trouble!

And what happened to the speedo in the center of the dash ???
They had to go and move it behind the steering wheel... just like EVERY OTHER CAR on the road.

The Yaris used to be "unique". Now it's just another SUB COMPACT.

That's ok, i'm keeping my `08 forevah!
The part of the 3rd gen I really dislike is the dash. In addition to not having the compartments the 2nd Gen did, it is just plain hideous. It isn't enough of a deterrent though to rule out eventually buying one.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
joshthorsc

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5spd
I just bought a 2012 Yaris SE a few months back and really like it. I do like the more aggressive look but prefer the looks of the previous gen slightly more. However, I'm glad Toyota moved the speedo behind the steering wheel. The center speedo is the main reason I never picked up the previous Yaris.
joshthorsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I liked the unique looks of the earlier HB. Easy to spot and you knew what is was. Went to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment and it was hard to find the Yaris. They store them at the back of the lot.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I liked the unique looks of the earlier HB. Easy to spot and you knew what is was. Went to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment and it was hard to find the Yaris. They store them at the back of the lot.
SMH re storing at the back of the lot. However, a dealership is a business and likely makes less money (new) off a Yaris than most, if not any other Toyota model. With the 3rd Gen styling being more agressive, I wonder if Toyota is trying (overall, not Yarisworld ) to attract more male buyers.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Volcano
Experienced Yaris Owner

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.33 Ltr
Generally, I do like the '12 models. But this one is b.a.u (Launch Jan 13)

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/au...hen-seite.html

Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
3rd gen looks more aggressive looking, It's not screaming "HEY IM A CHICK CAR". i have gotten nothing but compliments since i bought the car this year.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
I love my 2012. I think it looks better than the eggs of previous generations, though I'm not saying those were ugly, they just weren't my style. The dash cluster is where, IMHO, it should be. The reason all the other cars put the gauge cluster where they is, is that it is the easiest to see. I don't want to be looking to the middle of my dashboard, that's awkward. I think the styling reflects a certain continuity amongst the new Toyota lineup, and the tight lines and more aggressive styling suits the little guy well.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Actually, for normally-sized individuals, the steering wheel of most cards obscures the dash; which is the reason for moving it to the center of the dash. The Yaris is not the only vehicle to have this, the original Mini and Jeep also knew the value of the location.

As for the styling, the biggest complaint is that the previous version was more unique. The new Yaris is hard to distinguish from the Matrix and most other models in the Toyota line-up. Toyota is not the only one doing this, many major manufactures are moving toward this trend of making their vehicles look similar. I for one don't like it, and while the Second Generation Yaris was around there wasn't many other subcompacts that looked like it (well, the Hyundai Accent hatch tried; but until the Mazda 3 hit our shores it was pretty unique).

If the XP90 Yaris never existed than I would probably be more favorable towards the new XP130 Third Generation Yaris, but put the two next to each other and I still prefer the unique looks and styling of the previous model over the current one...

Plus, that back end on the new model is just fugly!

Cheers! M2
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano View Post
Generally, I do like the '12 models. But this one is b.a.u (Launch Jan 13)

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/au...hen-seite.html

Yikes! That one even looks more like the UGLY Matrix.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
ERA

Drives: '10 Zephyr Yaris Sedan
i like it. i think they went in the right direction.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
sliiice

Drives: 2007 hatchback
While I was having my 6 mo. check-up at the dealership, I checked out the new Yaris. I'm not a fan. They took the cuteness factor out. I think my husband would be more likely to buy one now, but I'll stick with my 2007. Thank goodness I only have 37,000 miles on it.
sliiice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
GTBaker

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
I love the new dash cluster...hate the damn red dash lights at night.
GTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Twisterboy

Drives: Yaris SR
I like the look of the new Yaris, makes it in line with the toyota family, I think the rear could be a bit nicer as it seems a bit narrower and a bit like a peugeot 208 (a small car we have in the UK)

Davy
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
1 Cost To Own

2 Durability

3 Economy of Operation

4 Functionality

(skip)

1,341,609 Styling
Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Actually, for normally-sized individuals, the steering wheel of most cards obscures the dash; which is the reason for moving it to the center of the dash. The Yaris is not the only vehicle to have this, the original Mini and Jeep also knew the value of the location.

As for the styling, the biggest complaint is that the previous version was more unique. The new Yaris is hard to distinguish from the Matrix and most other models in the Toyota line-up. Toyota is not the only one doing this, many major manufactures are moving toward this trend of making their vehicles look similar. I for one don't like it, and while the Second Generation Yaris was around there wasn't many other subcompacts that looked like it (well, the Hyundai Accent hatch tried; but until the Mazda 3 hit our shores it was pretty unique).

If the XP90 Yaris never existed than I would probably be more favorable towards the new XP130 Third Generation Yaris, but put the two next to each other and I still prefer the unique looks and styling of the previous model over the current one...

Plus, that back end on the new model is just fugly!

Cheers! M2
Yes, and another reason (that was briefly mentioned in the past by others here) is the cost savings associated with having fewer parts that are different for RHD and LHD countries.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
1 Cost To Own

2 Durability

3 Economy of Operation

4 Functionality

(skip)

1,341,609 Styling
Yeah, pretty much. Toyota would have to REALY, REALLY screw up the styling on the Yaris (far beyond anything I currently dislike) for the styling to have any effect on me at all re a buying decision.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Toyota would have to REALY, REALLY screw up the styling on the Yaris (far beyond anything I currently dislike) for the styling to have any effect on me at all re a buying decision.
I'll tell you what Mercedes and BMW styling has turned almost American lately.

Its just awefull.

They are known for conservative and tastefull styling in the past but no more.

If I had the money and wanted to spend that much money on a car (why?) I wouldnt buy one of them because of the styling.

I would tell the salesman Im not buying one of your cars because of the way they look.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #36
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
My girlfriend has a 2010 Yaris 3dr and I like mine infinitely better. I wouldn't have bought a Yaris though if there wasn't an SE available. It's a great package.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote