Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #19
Darkhorse6

Drives: 08 5dr HB
driving a Cavalier/Sunfire/Cobalt/G5, Neon/Caliber would be a symbol of being broke owing to their poor quality and low resale price.
Darkhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #20
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I bought a Yaris because:
-cheap enough to buy outright (no debt = not broke)
-good on fuel (if you think Yaris = broke, try a 4mpg camaro on 94octane....)
-reliable
-handle/stop well enough for autoX
-look ok. My Grandma thinks it's cute and she has good taste in cars (last car was a 74 Formula 400)

I'd say from my experience as a mechanic the "broke" car would be the large SUV that has larger wheels and is poorly maintained....
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
if you think Yaris = broke, try a 4mpg camaro on 94octane....)
.The first car I had to drive when I got my license was an old 67 Firebird convertible my dad had. It had a high performance aftermarket mainifold (wasn't Edelbrook..can't remember the brand) and a Carter AFB 4-barrell carbeurator. My dad had had someone install both at some point. It got 6 MPG. Of course gas was much cheaper back then.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #22
Echo86

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
If I was broke, I woulda bought an Echo, as they can be had for 2-5K when I was looking last year. I bought my Yaris because I worked on Yotas at a Yota dealership for 2 years and these powertrains are pretty proven and bulletproof. I still work on cars, different maker now, but we both drive Yotas, the wife and I. I love my Yar, although I do miss my 94 Caprice wagon when racing someone. I beat many, many people with that station wagon. The Yar, I have to beat em in cornering and reaction times, but, cute little cars the Yars are.
Hey I bought an 03 Echo back in 06. Just remember where the Yaris came from. 300k and motoring on...but the control arms need replacement, the exhaust has a hole, so the car sounds like its modded, but it's actually broken. Civics and Beamers try to race me revving engines. I laugh out loud every time. Is there an Echo thread? Love that little go-kart!
Echo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #23
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post

Morons.

Typical of opinions at places like Edmunds who think any car that isnt a BMW is not worthy. That people would desire a small, reliable, practical car with good fuel economy doesnt seem to occur to them.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #24
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
I must be missing something here. A Yaris is a sign of wealth. It allows me all kinds of mechanical sin...from wooden boats to Moto Guzzis to hot rod Fords. Partly because my daily driver is so darn economical to operate.

I remember in 08 i was thinking how silly it was for me to be driving my CTD Ram to my teaching job and parking it under a tree everyday. The guy over my principal (one step below the superintendent) showed in a white 3 door. We talked. He said how he got 40mpg driving between campuses and how happy he was with it. He was making a solid 2x my salary. I was sold!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I must be missing something here. A Yaris is a sign of wealth. It allows me all kinds of mechanical sin...from wooden boats to Moto Guzzis to hot rod Fords. Partly because my daily driver is so darn economical to operate.
!
YES!

Small cars help me indulge in what really matters...riding motorcycles!

People who write articles like these are IDIOTS!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
YES!

Small cars help me indulge in what really matters...

not all small cars. Yaris or Fit (sedan or hatch) only. Get me other brands like a Fiat--no thank you.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post

I remember in 08 i was thinking how silly it was for me to be driving my CTD Ram to my teaching job and parking it under a tree everyday. The guy over my principal (one step below the superintendent) showed in a white 3 door. We talked. He said how he got 40mpg driving between campuses and how happy he was with it. He was making a solid 2x my salary. I was sold!
Another thing I imagine that helps is our wonderful state. It doesn't tax us into oblivion .
Old 01-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
YES!

Small cars help me indulge in what really matters...riding motorcycles!
My fiancé is going crazy because I am looking at taking up a project bike or scooter since my Yaris is costing me next to nothing.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
LOL, I'm passing this from the 'wisdom' of my prof. If Yaris symbolize broke, than BMW literally stands for Bitch, Moan, and Whine.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
LOL, I'm passing this from the 'wisdom' of my prof. If Yaris symbolize broke, than BMW literally stands for Bitch, Moan, and Whine.
Reminded me of Oakland Raiders fans calling the San Francisco Forty-Niners the Forty-Whiners and calling the fans the whine and cheese crowd.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #31
bairjo

Cars....the biggest waste of money in my opinion. If I did not need one I would not go out and buy one. But since I need one, I opted for a functional, low maintenance, high mpg Yaris. Who wouldn't with my attitude?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #32
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I drive many different rigs, my crane truck (Miss Piggy), a'98 Dodge flatbed 1 ton with a Cummins diesel (and 289,000 miles), the 2000 Toyota Rav4, all only when the particular capabilities of the rig are needed. The '08 Yaris is ALWAYS my first choice, if I can make it work, as in don't need 4 wheel drive or to haul a ton or pick up two. So, it may be a few days sometime between Yaris use, and every time I get back behind the wheel I am tickled to death with it! It feels so tight (89K is all) and is a blast to drive/park, and especially make u turns in.

My drive to the crane yard is 13 miles one way, and of course taking the Yaris when feasible, keeps money in my pocket. No question, according to the ScanGauge I have in both Toyota's.

Monday I am making a very rare trip into the dealership, to get the free fix for the steering column thing, that recall (something about an airbag?). While I'm waiting I'll ride the fold up bike (fits great in the back) down to a somewhat upscale (for Pocatello) restaurant and have a nice long lunch, using the 28 bucks I got from Toyota from the class action law suit, to pay for it. I almost feel guilty in doing both of these things, I like Toyota too damn much.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #33
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
it's not accurate, in our society, to judge someone's wealth based on the type of car that they choose to drive. some of you here might have heard of the book "the millionaire next door".

there are many "hidden" wealthy people in society who choose not to live in extravagance. they don't drive fancy cars or have fancy houses, but they do have successful investments and are good with money. they are frugal people who are not all about bling and outward appearance. i'd imagine that some of them drive the yaris and similar cars.

image is a large part of marketing when it comes to selling upscale products, which is in part why we are repeatedly told that we look "poor" if we don't buy/own certain products. they need to activate a defensive feeling in order to create a strong desire for their products and "shaming" works on many personality types.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 AM   #34
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Millionaire next door= a good read
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #35
williamstephens78

Drives: 1999 Yaris 1.0GS
Well, I work in a carpet retailer and often find it's the people that spend the least money are those who have the most!
williamstephens78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #36
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I'm not a millionaire and I don't live next door but I do drive a Yaris. I could afford a car costing several times more but for what purpose? To impress some status seeking idiot? The Yaris serves my needs. A small, practical hatchback. Cheap to buy, cheap to fuel up, cheap to maintain. I don't need anything more. I'll spend the money I saved somewhere else.

To me the Yaris is a symbol of being smart.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote