Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
You take pictures of yourself for a living?
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris

Killer work Dude

You should do a DIY on waxing ....seriously . Some of us would like a shine half that good
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
great work man, any good recommended machine polish, buffer? to get rid of a few of my water spot?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #22
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Wouldn't need much of a machine polish or buffer to get out water spots. But then again, it really depends on how bad the water spots are. Once worked on some that were so bad, they had to be wet sanded from a really bad calcium buildup.
Honestly 95% of people that are into cars will do well enough with OTC stuff. The megs lines are great. As is mothers, and chemical guys. The key is finding something you like and sticking with it. If you keep changing products cause it doesnt give you the result you desire right away, maybe you just need to use it slightly different, work it a little longer, use a different pad or machine.

And waxing is honestly a really easy process. But then again it all really depends on what wax your using.
Megs #16 is crazy good, but hard to take off. Fusion is amazingly easy on, and easy off, but its a wipe on wipe off, dont let it set up on the paint, otherwise its a bear to get off. Wet Diamond is another wipe on wipe off wax thats amazing.

And its also important to pick a wax that will do what you want it to do. If its a garage car that never goes outside, then a wax that does more for looks, then for protection will work for you. And other way around if its not a garage car and sits outside. You want something that will protect more. And all that depends on the climate you keep the car in. A wax that will last 3 months in Florida could only last a month in Texas because of the heat. Yeah, now I'm just talkin. ha.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
A wax that will last 3 months in Florida could only last a month in Texas because of the heat. Yeah, now I'm just talkin. ha.
Very good to know, I live in PR, Tropical Climate , my car is only 2 years old and in the sun every day, my hood and the top of my mirror look like there fading..(Hood needs to be repainted at this point , Clear started to come off, ) What can i do to prevent it from happeing again or to the rest of the car?

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #24
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
??

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
counterfiend
Banned

Clean the car more often, and keep wax on the car.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
taracor

Drives: 2009 5 Dr. Hatch
I want to make love to that BMW. Alright, well I want to make sure my car has that show car shine all the time, and I'm willing to put in the man hours. Problem my car lives outside. I already wash and quick-wax once a week with Meguiars NXT soap and ultimate quick wax, and wax it about once a month with the tech 2.0 wax. Should I use a glaze or something? Or perhaps invest in a DA polisher?
taracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
What could one expect to pay for a result like that?..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
counterfiend
Banned

Well you can wash it all you want, its a matter of how you wash the car?
Do you use 1 bucket, with just a bit of soap? Do you use just soap on a mitt and a water hose?

The proper most effective way of keeping swirls and scratch's off the paint is with a 2 bucket method with a grit guard.
Basically you have 1 bucket with just clean water. And 1 bucket with soapy water (VERY SOAPY, at least 1oz of soap per gallon, because its acting like a lubricant). And the grit guard goes in the bottom of the clean water bucket.
So you get your soapy mitt, you wash an area, and then you rinse the mitt out in the clean water bucket, scrubbing the mitt against the grit guard. This helps to work dirt and anything off the mitt into the clean water bucket, so you can then go back to the soapy water, rinse repeat.

And price wise for something like that all depends on how the car was to begin with. Anywhere from 250-300 for a car that doesnt need too much work to be perfect which is just a good deep polish. And 500 up for a car that needs buffing. The more work is done, and the longer it takes obviously the price goes up.