Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I would not be getting the MPG numbers I have w/out the Scan Gauge 2. It helps me every day to find that sweet spot within the sweet spot. Meaning I can cruise along at 55 to 60 mph and see 45 as my impg reading (instantaneous miles per gallon). By letting up slightly on the gas pedal I can raise that to 55 mpg, a little more and it reads 60+ mpg and I can maintain a constant speed. Sure it is a $160.00 crutch and I probably could be doing this well without it, it just would take longer. I can also see the results and compare each trip’s numbers at certain spots to see how I am doing. For me worth every penny. Before it I was getting 38 to 41mpg tank averages, now my average is 44.5 mpg with two 45+ mpg tanks.

I know I could do better if I slowed down but I maintain the speed limit on 2-lane roads and go no more than 10 mph under the limit on the main 6-lane highways, due to traffic. Most commutes I maintain 60 to 65 mph (the posted speed limit) due to heavy traffic. Even then I am the slow vehicle but I am going the speed limit. I have gotten some fantastic mpg segments, with no traffic, maintaining between 40 and 45 mph seems to be the magic spot.

To those that are getting 40+ mpg driving like a race car, great. What did you do or maybe you just have a lucky vehicle. I’m thinking it is more that they don’t verify each tank they only kind of check now and again using very rounded numbers. For my numbers I’m working hard at it and keep a log of each fill-up.

A note on engine break in, or the theory of it anyway. This last tank I pulled 46.91 mpg (for 315 miles), WAY above anything I have done before. No idea why but last week my commute numbers were all 2 to 3 mpg higher doing nothing different. Maybe at 6,800 miles I got the first boost? This week we will see if it was a fluke or if I finally am starting to hypermile correctly. My two goals? Double a co-worker’s 24 mpg for his PT cruiser and to beat Voodoo22’s 50 mpg tank streak!
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
Voodoo22.... is that US or Imperial mpg?
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #21
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
xed,

Look at changing your route to and from work.

Get a Scanguage, it really has helped me.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I think these people who claim to get astronomical gas mileage are victims of the practical joke Click and Clack once described... A 'friend' kept adding gas to his gas tank when he wasn't looking!
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think these people who claim to get astronomical gas mileage are victims of the practical joke Click and Clack once described... A 'friend' kept adding gas to his gas tank when he wasn't looking!
I must have a rich and idle friend that I'm not aware of since they would have had to been doing it every tank for two years. That's a lot of free gas.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #24
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
WHOA! Guess what I just came across while searching for things for my truck:

Plugs into the ODB port and give you real-time fuel economy! Now you can keep an eye on your throttle position and view real-time mileage instead of waiting until you need fuel to get your results. Not sure the exact accuracy, but I would imagine it would be close to the real mark.

http://www.autometer.com/media_newsa...11&pg=1&aid=97
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenora View Post
Voodoo22.... is that US or Imperial mpg?
US.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote