Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
The friction point on the clutch is really far in. You have to slam it into the floor. It sounds like you aren't pushing the clutch in far enough. I doubt your synchros are going out already with that low of mileage.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
i hate first gear in this car, haha. it's tricky some times, especially when downshifting, it just won't go to first sometimes, and I'm stuck rolling at like 10 mph, end up going to 2nd and riding the clutch to get back up to speed. but that's not a very common circumstance.
starting in first is ok, but it's geared improperly I think, way too low-- just my opinion tho(on hilly terrain i bet this really helps), and makes second gear more of a patience thing sometimes. it really depends on how your driving and shifting-- maybe try different timing and clutching(if that's a word haha).
every once in a while i scratch on going to third gear, go figure.
IMO this car could use a slight regearing and definitely a 6th topend, but hey this is an eco box from start to finish ;d
Yeah I hate that as well
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
another fellow that was commenting on 1/4 mile times suggested the motor torquing in the engine bay during 1-->2 shifts was changing the shift linkage angles and having a detrimental effect on his shifting. maybe the first suggestion of letting off the throttle a bit smoother would be in your favor, ideally you'd want the motor's RPM to be hanging right around the target rpm after the clutch is engaged in 2nd gear... not climbing, or dropping... i don't know a ton on the subject either, but that's my general experience with manual transmissions, on my bike, my yaris, and my friends car that badly needs a transmission...
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
another fellow that was commenting on 1/4 mile times suggested the motor torquing in the engine bay during 1-->2 shifts was changing the shift linkage angles .
it's a cable. it isn't affected by minute changed in position. it's not solid linkage like some hondas.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #23
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Has anyone else noticed that if they drive the manual LB really hard in first gear then try and mash the clutch and then yank the stick out to shift into second that the gears will sometimes cling a little bit?

It feels like trying to shift into a gear without the clutch fully engaged because there's a bit of grinding. Not a whole lot but it's definitely noticeable.

Being as I know next to nothing about cars I was just wondering what you would consider changing to make quick shifting smoother at really high RPMs to keep the gears from partially grinding like that when going from 1st to 2nd.
Seeing this I have to comment that when I used to drive hard the yaris (when it was stock) I noticed this aswell. The first gear will be like stuck there and needs more force to shift the gear to 2nd. This was noticed mainly after 4500rpm only at 1st gear.

With the new engine and corrolla trans the problem was never encountered so far!
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Hmm I've never noticed this in mine, and I've launched it pretty hard quite a few times... When I get it out of the shop I'll have to pay close attention to see if it's doing that, and could cause it to do that if it's not...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Hmm I've never noticed this in mine, and I've launched it pretty hard quite a few times... When I get it out of the shop I'll have to pay close attention to see if it's doing that, and could cause it to do that if it's not...
--\treadjack

I thought they totalled your car?

--\endthreadjack

and to the OP: Its not so much a problem as getting completely comfortable shifting that way, dont yank it out of gear, pull firmly untill it comes out. I had this "problem" for a while, but now I have no issues running 1st hard and shifting quickly into second once I "relearned" my shifting.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #26
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
I had the same problem. I switched to Redline MT-90 and can now shift @ 30 mph from 1st to 2nd all day long w/out any grinding, as well as, 2nd and 3rd gears near redline.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I have this problem running full synthetic tranny fluid for the last 30K miles. Thats life. Its probably the cocktail of short shifters I've run in the past. No way to just replace the synchros in a transmission? Excuse my noobishness. If you were going to replace a Yaris tranny what is the best option? C60? Wonder if I have the power to back up/warrant a 6 speed. I don't see why not.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #28
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post

I thought they totalled your car?
nope, did over $6,200 damage to it, but the insurance is paying for it.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #29
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Get polyurethane (or some other, stiffer) engine mount pads.

It could just be that the engine tilts too much when revving hard and the gear linkage will sound weird due the the extreme angle of the engine.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote