Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Tokico +1

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!

Last edited by TheRealEnth; 12-18-2008 at 01:33 AM.
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #20
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by daikin22 View Post
Thank for Reply

KYB GR-2 is suitable for Yaris right?

Thank you.
Gr-2 's are only a good "upgrade" if you blow your stock struts/shocks out . Imo stock shocks are better . If you need to go with gr-2 don't pair them up with any spring lower than like tanabe nf210's or they'll blow-out in about 2 months . Bare mininum go with a set of blue's or save a get some megan or basic tein coilovers , only about 250 more than the 500 a set of blue's/tein s tech's or tanabe springs will cost you .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #21
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
tokico ftw!
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #22
daikin22

Drives: YARIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Gr-2 's are only a good "upgrade" if you blow your stock struts/shocks out . Imo stock shocks are better . If you need to go with gr-2 don't pair them up with any spring lower than like tanabe nf210's or they'll blow-out in about 2 months . Bare mininum go with a set of blue's or save a get some megan or basic tein coilovers , only about 250 more than the 500 a set of blue's/tein s tech's or tanabe springs will cost you .

Thanks for reply.

Well, what about Tokiko shocks? It's can be match with lower spring, right?

Thank you
daikin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #23
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Thanks for reply.

Well, what about Tokiko shocks? It's can be match with lower spring, right?

Thank you
Yeah Tokico blues are the best for the price . I 've ran blues on 3 differnt car's i've owned all with at least -2 lowerd springs and never blew a strut out . Good performance strut and pretty "firm" feeling over stock.
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #24
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Yeah Tokico blues are the best for the price . I 've ran blues on 3 differnt car's i've owned all with at least -2 lowerd springs and never blew a strut out . Good performance strut and pretty "firm" feeling over stock.
Thank for reply

Well, Tokico will a bit/much stiffen than original shock?

Thank you
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
daikin22

Here is my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3055.jpg (113.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
daikin22

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.jpg (323.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3051_resize.JPG (93.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #27
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Sorry, I actually do not know which KYB model has the same specs as the TRD's. But I would assume the GR-2's.

On that note, I had GR-2's on my GTI with some Megan lowering springs. It was a pretty smooth ride. Not as stiff as my Yaris' ride (probably due to the S.Techs).
KYB GR-2 shocks will have the same body as TRD's however the "valving spec" will differ as the GR-2's are an OEM replacement (smooth ride) while the TRD version have much firmer valve spec's and provide a performance ride.
If you want a ride similar to stock damping go with GR-2. The TRD shocks will rattle your fillings loose in comparison. Much firmer with resultant incredable handling when teamed with TRD springs and swaybar.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
KYB GR-2 shocks will have the same body as TRD's however the "valving spec" will differ as the GR-2's are an OEM replacement (smooth ride) while the TRD version have much firmer valve spec's and provide a performance ride.
If you want a ride similar to stock damping go with GR-2. The TRD shocks will rattle your fillings loose in comparison. Much firmer with resultant incredable handling when teamed with TRD springs and swaybar.

Thank for reply

Well, blacksandiegovitz said that GR-2 will blow out if I put it with lower spring. GR-2 can use with lower spring?

Thank you
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Ok, in plain english:

I have stock shock(dead)
TRD Sportivo Springs.

I do NOT want a harsh ride anymore. So Im assuming that by going with anything other then a stock shock will make things MUCH worse then they were when I first started this setup.

If thats the case, does anyone recommend getting NF210's and a firmer shock?

Or is it a bad thing to combine softer springs with firmer shocks?

Someone please enlighten me because I do not want to lose the drop the TRD springs gave me, but the ride is just getting on my nerves. Or maybe new firmer shocks will improve the ride then what it is now? (My tires bouce on the road at times, I feel it, and it slides even with dry pavement over little bumps, its bad!!!) I guess its time for new shocks, but I dont know what to do!!!!!!!! I live in NYC and I drive a lot, and every block has some tie of bump within a 20mile radius. lol
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #30
daikin22

Well, I think i will go with Tokico Hp Series. It's suitable for lower spring, isn't it?
Thank a lot for all recommends.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #31
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
They don't feel that much more dampened (enough to rattle things off of the dash or anything, unlike my friend's Toaster).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Well, I think i will go with Tokico Hp Series. It's suitable for lower spring, isn't it?
Thank a lot for all recommends.
Yes. The car will be a little firmer, but a lot more stable. It will ride fine, but stiffer than the stock shocks.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 12-21-2008 at 12:13 PM.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #33
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Ok there is a lot of misinformation here.

Tokico HP (blues) and the TRD KYBs are NOT the same. Tokico does NOT make the Sportivo TRD dampers.

I have rode in cars with both setups, and they ride similarly. Both are designed to be used with stiffer springs, which is why they are valved stiffer. I would not call either setup "harsh" or "too stiff". The damping will be a good match to the spring rates of quality lowering springs. The car will feel more sure footed through turns, more stable in the wind, and over bumps, and will rub tires less over bumps.

You will feel more bumps in the road. It is just the price you pay for increased handling. If this means anything, my girlfriend could not really tell the difference in ride from the stock dampers to the Tokico Blues. If you guys have ridden in EVOs, STIs, 350Zs etc, the car will ride BETTER than those types of cars with TRDs or Tokico HP (blues) and lowering springs. If you think that the TRDs rattle your fillings out or are unliveably stiff you should probably should trade you Yaris in on an Avalon. Unless you are on dirt roads in a 3rd world country, it just isn't that bad. If you want to save some money, get the Tokico Blues. They are over $100 cheaper than the TRD pieces and do the exact same thing.

KYB GR2s are good stock replacements. They are usually just very slightly stiffer than the stock dampning. You probably won't even notice the difference. These DO NOT blow out in 2 months, they are just as good as what came on the car. If you want factory replacements and a decent price, GR2s are what you want to get.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #34
daikin22

Well, what's about compare between Tokico Hp series and Trd Sportivo, which one is more better, stiff, stable, and smooth.
As I need, I need stable and not much stiff. I don't like when the car sway after run over the brige.
My friend told me that Trd Sportiva is smooth and stable (but price is too high for me).
Then, which one would you recommend me? and sorry that asking you guy a lot because I have on idea about which shock is the one i want.
Thank a lot
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #35
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
coilovers........ done
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #36
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Well, what's about compare between Tokico Hp series and Trd Sportivo, which one is more better, stiff, stable, and smooth.
As I need, I need stable and not much stiff. I don't like when the car sway after run over the brige.
My friend told me that Trd Sportiva is smooth and stable (but price is too high for me).
Then, which one would you recommend me? and sorry that asking you guy a lot because I have on idea about which shock is the one i want.
Thank a lot
They both feel nearly identical. Just get the Tokicos then if the TRDs are too much. From a performance and feel perspective, there is no reason to spend the extra money for the TRDs.