Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg4rez View Post
yep only 1,000 more, then you add on tax, etc etc, and it ends up being 3+ more. Buying off creigslist = no tax
I am not sure about your state, however, we will pay tax no matter where or from whom the car is bought. We either go through the dealer and some will roll it into the loan or will write a big check to the DMV a month later.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg4rez View Post
yep only 1,000 more, then you add on tax, etc etc, and it ends up being 3+ more. Buying off creigslist = no tax
That's not true. You pay the taxes when you go to register it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
I'm planning on a 2009 2 door, jolt yellow hatchback and I'm not buying until the end of the very end of February

The only options I want are:

-Power Package ($1400)
-Automatic transmission

I came across the $500 cash back offer...but the cheapest I keep coming up with is about $15k when I build one on Toyota's website. I'm pretty sure they can be had for far less than that though. Any ideas? Advice on buying a new car outright like this?
First. Congratulations! Anyone with enough money to buy a car with cash and chooses a Yaris will go far in life. Get the color that you want.

Second. Be open to all possibilities including financing. When we got out last truck we got $1,000 back for using the Chrysler financing. We sent only one big payment the first month. I feel that it is better to let the dealer believe that you are broke. Let them believe you will finance until you settle on a price. Then play the cash card.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #22
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
I'm planning on it...these are awesome little cars! One of the lots I looked at had a used one on it with 7k miles that I could have sworn was marked at like 14,500

That's kind of the situation I've been running into...the used ones are up for sale for as much as the new ones in a lot of the autotrader and craigslist ads I've seen in my area. I expect that from a dealer, but for sale privately it was kind of shocking!
I've noticed that. People always say that if you buy slightly used you'll save a lot, but to me the $1000 isn't worth it.

I also paid cash and paid Invoice (he showed me the invoice, and it matched what was on Edmunds) minus the $1000 rebate from Toyota, so $1000 under invoice, plus taxes and license.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #23
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Ive worked as a car salesman before for a short period of time. Belive it or not on low end cars like this dealers frown upon cash payments. Because the profit margin is extremly minimal. Like only in the hudreds of dollars. So they dont have much room to go down on the price to begin with. If it was one of thier higher end cars like camry you have a better change of a bargain. Normally they only go down on price if i they really think they can make profit on you off of interest or thier service department is hurting and they are hoping to make profit off you in the future off services. Otherwise usually 100 above wholesale is the best you would ever expect to do. And usually on a car like yaris that dosnt happen all that often. Some members are paying sticker price still. Depends on your area and the dealer.

The best insider advice i can give for the best deal is find the car you want online at the dealership you want. Dont deal with a sales rep directly. He is the middleman between the sales manager and you and you are paying his comission.

If you deal with internet sales you can get a extremely good rate. You can actually negotiate in chat rooms with them online before you even come down to the dealer. One you find the one that has the best price you make a appointment go down and test drive the car and shortly after your out the door with your new car. No waiting in line to talk to sales manager. It cuts the hassle and time spent in half and saves you hundreds if not int he thousands.

My car i think i saved nearly 3 thousand off sticker price when i bought it. Another thing you can do is email many dealers interenet sales and let them bid for your sale. My father did this when he bought his honda accord. Everyone would send him emails in a bid war for the lowest price. I think he ended up paying 14k for his honda accord a year ago. It didnt have power windows locks or anything was just a base model. But still its a honda accord for cheaper than the price of a civic. Although when you do that you dont really get to pick your color choice. Its whatever the dealership is willing to get rid of.

Another trick is to wait till the end of the month. Dealers are more wiling to clear out inventory because the more cars they sell the more cars they are alloted from the factory every month and the better color choices they get. So if they are tryign to meet a deadline they will be wiling to let a car go at cost just to move it to show numbers since they are getting a lot full of cars in a few days anyways.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
All good advice; thanks for sharing that insider info!

Going in person to the car dealers got me nothing but headaches (of course I had to go to test-drive it, but)... Finally negotiated the deal I wanted -- $13k out the door (taxes, license, etc.) for a new '08 3 DR -- entirely online; just went in (in another city 60 miles away) to sign, pay cash, and drive it away...

However, my paying cash didn't get me a better deal, I'm sure; not impressed.

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
Having worked at a dealership many years ago (thankfully not as a salesman), the only thing that intending to pay cash tells them is that a sale is possible. In other words, you're a solid potential customer. Many times a salesman would come cursing into the back room after he "wasted" 30 or 40 minutes trying to sell a car to someone who got rejected after their credit was checked out. Supposedly, getting credit approvals is even harder these days with the bank/credit situation. I don't know. I paid cash for my Yaris. Even as I was negotiating and stonewalling for a lower price, they tried to convince me to accept the higher price and finance it even though I had enough to pay either price. They would always prefer to finance. That's where the majority of the back end profits come from. Hardball negotiating, cutting out dealer added crap like $150 floormats, ect., and paying cash are all good ways to minimize your total overal purchase expense.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
paying cash doesnt help..atleast in toronto..they gonna give you the line about they only make a little commission selling a cheap yaris...when the guys told me that i stood up whithout saying a word and walk out even though i can hear him calling me back...hehehe that felt good . went somewhere else and i did get about $1000 cnd dollars off the whole price after taxes plus my $1000.00 rebate i got fr the government..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #27
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T

Convincing them that you're willing to get up and walk away anytime is the best negotiation tool there is. I also got the line about "such narrow profit margins on a Yaris." I got up to leave no less than 4 times before we reached a price point that I could agree with.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
otterhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
cutting out dealer added crap like $150 floormats, ect., and paying cash are all good ways to minimize your total overal purchase expense
How did you get out of paying for those $150 floor mats? I tried; oh, how I tried... Paying $150 for floor mats ($11 at WalMart) just about killed me...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #29
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How did you get out of paying for those $150 floor mats? I tried; oh, how I tried... Paying $150 for floor mats ($11 at WalMart) just about killed me...

Just tell them you don't want/need them and you are not paying for them, they can just take them out of the car. They usually just leave them or say they can't do it or whatever, but still don't make you pay for them.

Same with that pinstriping and such. Take it off, I don't want it. They usually won't take it off, but they don't charge you for it. They even offered to put the stripe on mine if I wanted it. No thanks.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #30
Polarpony

Drives: Polar Whte HB 08
If you pay a good down payment and your credit is good,maybe they will deal with you.
Your payments would not be that bad with a good score. Could also help your credit rating as car payments paid on time help big time.

Also a possibility for a new bill giving tax credit for new car purchases is in the works right now. The purpose is to help the stimulus and reward purchasers by crediting them
for fimance and interest. Just a few thoughts, Good Luck
Polarpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #31
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpony View Post
If you pay a good down payment and your credit is good,maybe they will deal with you.
Your payments would not be that bad with a good score. Could also help your credit rating as car payments paid on time help big time.

Also a possibility for a new bill giving tax credit for new car purchases is in the works right now. The purpose is to help the stimulus and reward purchasers by crediting them
for fimance and interest. Just a few thoughts, Good Luck
I've already gotten like $1500 below invoice from at least 3 dealers going of a tip about internet sales from one of the above posters....a local lot had a JY Yaris for $16,100 (auto, power pkg with alloys, keyless, floormats, fog lights) on the lot and the internet sales guy told me he could do it for 13,300!
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #32
Polarpony

Quote:
I've already gotten like $1500 below invoice from at least 3 dealers going of a tip about internet sales from one of the above posters....a local lot had a JY Yaris for $16,100 (auto, power pkg with alloys, keyless, floormats, fog lights) on the lot and the internet sales guy told me he could do it for 13,300!
Wow , good for you ,that's hard to pass up.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #33
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Quote:
Tell me about it! Another place, nearer to me quoted me 12,400 with the steel wheel power package and an automatic transmission...Keep in mind I was expecting these places to come off the lot price by like $300 or something. Oh well...if I can walk out with one in that price range next week at this time I'll be in pretty good shape!
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #34
Polarpony

I also bought mine when gas prices soared, Unfortunately old auto was too much to repair.
So you are getting a the Yaris for about 2,000 less then I did in 08.
Can't go back so I just enjoy paying very little for gas.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #35
otterhere

Quote:
Is this $13,300 for an '09 or '08? And what the heck is a "JY Yaris"???

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #36
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
2009 Jolt Yellow Yaris

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote