Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

Consumer reports is good for a few things. I've stopped reading their reviews/articles. I still check the reliability records.
+1

That's what I meant by used cars database.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
This is completely the opposite from our experience when we purchased our Yaris. The base FIT and Yaris were less than 1000 apart, but by the time we put A/C, the power package and an AT in both cars, the FIT was a hair under $3000 more than our Yaris. That's over 15% more. I do believe the FIT is made with higher quality materials, but we weren't willing to pay that kind of premium for a car that is essentially the same kind of product....
The facts don't support your claims.

Both the Fit and the Yaris come standard with A/C and all Fits come standard with power windows and locks.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx

The Fit also comes standard with a better sounding, more powerful stereo, four doors, a tach, a multi-information display, superior seating, a rear window wiper/washer, a telescoping steering wheel and a more powerful engine.

Futhermore, the Fit's automatic trans is a 5 speed, while the Yaris's is a 4 speed.

The Yaris that would come closest to the equipment level of a base Fit would be an appropriately optioned, 5 door hatch "S." The sticker on that would be $16,855 (including destination).

The Fit would still offer more equipment (as I noted above) and would sticker for $16,220 (including destination), which is $635 LESS than the Yaris!

http://www.edmunds.com/

The prices I provided are for the automatic transmission models.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)

Last edited by 427chev; 03-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post

Both the Fit and the Yaris come standard with A/C and all Fits come standard with power windows and locks.

The Fit also comes standard with a better sounding, more powerful stereo, four doors, a tach, a multi-information display, superior seating, a rear window wiper/washer, a telescoping steering wheel and a more powerful engine.

Futhermore, the Fit's automatic trans is a 5 speed, while the Yaris's is a 4 speed.

The Yaris that would come closest to the equipment level of a base Fit would be an appropriately optioned, 5 door hatch "S." The sticker on that would be $16,855 (including destination).

The Fit would still offer more equipment (as I noted above) and would sticker for $16,220 (including destination), which is $635 LESS than the Yaris!

I bought the Yaris because of the looks, mainly, and the cheap price, but if I wanted more car for more money I'd sure choose the xD over the Fit...at least as many options as the Fit, probably even more power and torque, nice Pioneer audio system, and much better looking, imo. The xD and Fit are a much better match for each other. The Yaris has the option of being able to be purchased cheap, unlike a Fit, xD, etc...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
The xD and Fit are a much better match for each other. The Yaris has the option of being able to be purchased cheap, unlike a Fit, xD, etc...
That makes so much sense.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #23
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Go drive a Fit and see who's "minimally educated." (Hint: It's not Consumer Reports.)

The Yaris offers a lot of value in the base 3 door hatch style and when very minimally optioned. The Fit blows the Yaris away once options begin to inflate the cost of the Yaris.

Dynamically speaking, the Fit (Sport model in particular) is a much better handling car than the stock Yaris. The Fit also offers much more supportive seating, a better sounding stereo and a nicer gauge package. Many would argue that those things alone are worth the extra money, though the Fit includes even more (power windows and locks standard).

I love my Yaris, but it's not stock and the amount I've spent on improvements make me feel a tad silly.
Sporty car? its an econobox... not supposed to be sporty... The concept of the yaris is to trade in "sporty" for better mpg's.

Better stereo... stock is stock... stock always blows... For those who know stereo... i'd prefer I have the option of no stereo... and save $200+ on the initial cost.

I've never had issues with the seats either... have done at least 10 8hr trips in my yaris... about 40% of my miles driven come from 8hr car rides.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:

In the US, maybe you are correct. But in Canada, where Voodoo is from, the Yaris & Fit have different packages than the US variants. And here, A/C is not standard, but is an option. Plus the prices here are different.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Sporty car? its an econobox... not supposed to be sporty... The concept of the yaris is to trade in "sporty" for better mpg's.

Better stereo... stock is stock... stock always blows... For those who know stereo... i'd prefer I have the option of no stereo... and save $200+ on the initial cost.

I've never had issues with the seats either... have done at least 10 8hr trips in my yaris... about 40% of my miles driven come from 8hr car rides.
$1,200 worth of TRD shocks/springs/bars (that includes parts and labor at a dealership who discounts) will make a 5 speed manual Yaris feel very "sporty." Thsoe parts utterly transform the car.

The Fit "Sport" rides and handles much better than a stock Yaris.

The Yaris's seats are not "bad" - particularly for this level of car. Still, the Fit's seats are VASTLY superior.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #26
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
In the US, maybe you are correct. But in Canada, where Voodoo is from, the Yaris & Fit have different packages than the US variants. And here, A/C is not standard, but is an option. Plus the prices here are different.
Maybe I should buy up there. Hawai'i taxes A.C., and I sure don't need it at all.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote