Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
The shop i work at usually does mostly toyota, honda, and nissan. Whenever those cars come in for repairs they are usually minor. The volkswagens that come in are for MAJOR problems. One last week it had 60k miles and only few years old a golf. I guess thier transmissions dont use a torque converter but a sort of pressure plate. The thing got cracked and was making a massive rattling noise against the bellhousing. Costed the customer a substantial amount of money to replace a 18 dollar part. Since we have to remove the lower frame and transmission out to fix it.

Thier PCV systems on thier older one are above the maf sensor. but a few inches. but the tubing is at a huge degree. And the throttle body is about a foot away. So this causes the oil to seep down and contaminate the MAF sensor. Sensor is maybe 500 bucks for a new one. But usually this knocks out the catalitic converter and maybe a O2 at the same time. I actually have a spare MAF sensor for volkswagen in my tool box to easily test them when they come in.

Another thing is thier vacuum hoses that run everywhere are made out of some especially cheap material. That they happen to break all the time. Especially the ones near the firewall. And on top of that they coat them with some cheap fabric that prevents you from seeing if it is broken or not. Why i do not know.

Also for some reason thier wheel bearings tend to fail as well as thier front lower control arm bushings.

I mean i could go on and on on the retarded thigns i have seen volkswagen has done to thier cars. But i can say 95 percent of all volkswagens that come to my shop usually are for a check engine light. Or some abnormal noise. I never see any of these on the toyotas or hondas that come in.

I mean ive heard of manufactured defects but come on volkswagen how many do you really need.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
The shop i work at usually does mostly toyota, honda, and nissan. Whenever those cars come in for repairs they are usually minor. The volkswagens that come in are for MAJOR problems. One last week it had 60k miles and only few years old a golf. I guess thier transmissions dont use a torque converter but a sort of pressure plate. The thing got cracked and was making a massive rattling noise against the bellhousing. Costed the customer a substantial amount of money to replace a 18 dollar part. Since we have to remove the lower frame and transmission out to fix it.

Thier PCV systems on thier older one are above the maf sensor. but a few inches. but the tubing is at a huge degree. And the throttle body is about a foot away. So this causes the oil to seep down and contaminate the MAF sensor. Sensor is maybe 500 bucks for a new one. But usually this knocks out the catalitic converter and maybe a O2 at the same time. I actually have a spare MAF sensor for volkswagen in my tool box to easily test them when they come in.

Another thing is thier vacuum hoses that run everywhere are made out of some especially cheap material. That they happen to break all the time. Especially the ones near the firewall. And on top of that they coat them with some cheap fabric that prevents you from seeing if it is broken or not. Why i do not know.

Also for some reason thier wheel bearings tend to fail as well as thier front lower control arm bushings.

I mean i could go on and on on the retarded thigns i have seen volkswagen has done to thier cars. But i can say 95 percent of all volkswagens that come to my shop usually are for a check engine light. Or some abnormal noise. I never see any of these on the toyotas or hondas that come in.

I mean ive heard of manufactured defects but come on volkswagen how many do you really need.
I took my VW in about one week after I got it because it was making a horrible noise at highway speeds. (It was new.) The dealer found a walnut in the brakes. I didn’t tell them that I have a huge oak tree in my yard that I park under; hey, they didn’t ask. I just acted surprised. I still wonder how that nut got in there. Maybe a squirrel put it there?

I also had a water leak through the sunroof, that one wasn't a squirrel's fault. VW fixed it, but it does worry me because I had water problems in a previous car: a Pontiac that smelled an awful lot like citrus.