Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
There is more power available in a lower gear and at higher RPM.

Not going to argue with you about or even waste my time trying to explain it, but that's a fact.

Hint: Do a little research about how transmissions and gear ratios work to multiply torque and the torque multiplication is greater in lower gears. Do a little more research to learn about how engines make more power as they spin faster.

You bought a car with an modern electronically controlled automatic transmission. Trust me, the Toyota engineers know WAY more than you do. Just drive the car! If you wanted to decide when to shift, you shouldn't have bought an automatic.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
As long as you're not redlining, you're NEVER going to damage the engine or tranny by downshifting. The only way to damage would be if you downshifted into first while going 60 or something crazy like that. And if you drive an auto, there's nothing to worry about.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #21
reesesyum

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
There is more power available in a lower gear and at higher RPM.

Not going to argue with you about or even waste my time trying to explain it, but that's a fact.

Hint: Do a little research about how transmissions and gear ratios work to multiply torque and the torque multiplication is greater in lower gears. Do a little more research to learn about how engines make more power as they spin faster.
I understand that there's more power in a lower gear - maybe power was the wrong word to use. Certainly, there are times when a higher gear provides better performance - otherwise we'd always drive in first gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
You bought a car with an modern electronically controlled automatic transmission. Trust me, the Toyota engineers know WAY more than you do. Just drive the car! If you wanted to decide when to shift, you shouldn't have bought an automatic.
Thanks for the condescending attitude - I was just curious about this feature of the car, and wondered if others had this concern. Thanks to everyone else for their replies.
reesesyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Nice thing about automatic transmissions - they're automatic. The Yaris has one that's even more automatic than usual because it's partly controlled by the ECM and partly by the regular hydraulic mechanism.

Anyone who wants to fiddle with the car while driving should probably have a standard. I'm happy with the automatic because I don't have to fiddle with it.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Anyone who wants to fiddle with the car while driving should probably have a standard.
Care to elaborate on that comment? If that is just your opinion that's fine; but if there is a technical reason why then you need to share it with the forum.

There is nothing wrong with shifting the automatic, which is why Toyota designed it to be shifted...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #24
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesyum View Post
I understand that there's more power in a lower gear - maybe power was the wrong word to use. Certainly, there are times when a higher gear provides better performance - otherwise we'd always drive in first gear.
The best PERFORMANCE is always where the most power is. Always. A higher gear won't provide better performance until you've hit the rev limiter in the gear your in.

Comfort, smoothness, economy, noise, longer engine life, these are all reasons why we have higher gears.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #25
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Care to elaborate on that comment? If that is just your opinion that's fine; but if there is a technical reason why then you need to share it with the forum.

There is nothing wrong with shifting the automatic, which is why Toyota designed it to be shifted...
Obviously just my opinion. You can fiddle with your transmission all you like.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #26
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Just ride the bus and don't worry about it

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote