Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #19
BulletProofAuto

Drives: 00 itr
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp
just some information for everyone on what i feel are the most important specs to compare when suspension shopping. if you don't like to read, see the cliff notes at the end.

cusco compact s spring rates
F:7k
R:3.3k
Non adjustable dampening
~$1200

HKS S-Compact
Spring Rates
F:5k
R:8k
30 way adjustable dampening
~$1900

Tein Basic
F:4k
R:3.1k
Non adjustable dampening.
~$950.00

As you can see the spring rates are very soft for the basics, cusco and hks are much more aggresive with their rates and the valving to go with it. In terms of comparing what is the best setup to get, I believe the Tein does not offer anything outside of height adjustability since the spring rates are no stiffer then what is found from Tanabe's springs, of which there will be a GF210 coming out with ~4k rates(it's out in Japan, it'll be out here). The cusco is your best performance related upgrade since the Tein would be purely cosmetic. For those that want something more trackable, the HKS would be your solution with the ability to fine tune your dampening for different course and driving situations. Of course at this time the HKS are not readily available in the states, I don't see HKS USA bringing this product over anytime soon as stockable inventory so you'll need to wait for it. The cusco and tein products will be stocked stateside, it just may take some time for the suppliers to gauge the correct inventory levels so expect backordered product in the beginning.

Cliff Notes:
Cusco compact S is probably best value at the moment.
HKS is tops for track use.
Tein Basic is purely cosmetic.
haha...it was in this thread
BulletProofAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #20
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp
haha...it was in this thread
thank you those help a lot aswell. Would it be possible to use the tanabe nf210 springs along with the tein basic coils? I'd like the low spring rates tanabe offers, but the security of the afermarket shocks to be able to handle a droped vehicle. I don't won't to have the stock shocks die on me.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 AM   #21
badhabitz

Drives: yaris
Send a message via AIM to badhabitz
if u want a ride we can meet up somewhere and i wouldnt mind taking you for a spin to show u that once u do suspension work to the yaris ur car is fun to drive
badhabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #22
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabitz
if u want a ride we can meet up somewhere and i wouldnt mind taking you for a spin to show u that once u do suspension work to the yaris ur car is fun to drive
wow if we could do this then it would be great. maybe sometime over the upcoming weekend? Shoot me a pm, and let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #23
BulletProofAuto

my suggestions if you want custom spring rates are as follows:
tanabe sells their pro210 springs, these are replacements for coilovers. all that needs to be determined is the diameter of the spring.
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/pro210.asp

or you can really upgrade with a set of swift springs, you're looking at approximately the same price for both. around $90.00 each.

as for valving, you probably have a 1k-2k area to swing the spring rates.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #24
Mond'z

Drives: Hopefully a 07 Yaris HB
Can you tell me how's the ride after the coilovers installed? Is it bouncy at all?
Mond'z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #25
badhabitz

Drives: yaris
Send a message via AIM to badhabitz
lets just say i was going to work and i had a cup of orange juice within 5 min i saw half of it spill out that really pissed me off so no more open drinks in the car but it doesnt bother me just go slow over bumps but when ur driving fast it doesnt even bother me
badhabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #26
Mond'z

Drives: Hopefully a 07 Yaris HB
From what you said so the coilovers are too stiff or bouncy for you?
Mond'z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I'm wondering: what are the major differences between the Cusco Compact-S coilovers and the Cusco Zero-1 coilovers? I see that the Zero-1 series is more expensive... just wondering if it is that much better. Also, does Cusco make a Zero-2 (adjustable dampening) application for the Yaris?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
BulletProofAuto

the comp-s is their entry level. ride height adjustability is not independant of the spring, so when you change the ride height you are changing the load on the springs. the zero-1 are independant of the spring load when adjusting the height so it stays constant no matter the height. the damper is also a little better and the dampening is a little stiffer. iirc comp-s is a kyb damper and zero-1 is showa.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
OK, thanks for that info. The Zero-1 looks like a better setup, then. So I take it that there is no Zero-2 model available for the Yaris yet?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #30
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp View Post

cusco compact s spring rates
F:7k
R:3.3k
Non adjustable dampening
~$1200

HKS S-Compact
Spring Rates
F:5k
R:8k
30 way adjustable dampening
~$1900

Tein Basic
F:4k
R:3.1k
Non adjustable dampening.
~$950.00

Cliff Notes:
Cusco compact S is probably best value at the moment.
HKS is tops for track use.
Tein Basic is purely cosmetic.
I think the stock springs are 2.5K/2.2K At 4K in front, plus the drop (which "stiffens" even more the sway bar), the ride will be quite stiff, much more that the stock suspension... Tein is just fine for a a stiff street ride in addition to a quite improved handling...
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote