Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Question still stands, will the electronics from any of the forced induction kits work on our Yaris's? I would imagine that they would work considering it is the same motor but there are still possibilities of a change in the electronics. Anyone retrofit the Greddy Xb turbo kit to a Yaris hb?
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #20
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195
Question still stands, will the electronics from any of the forced induction kits work on our Yaris's? I would imagine that they would work considering it is the same motor but there are still possibilities of a change in the electronics. Anyone retrofit the Greddy Xb turbo kit to a Yaris hb?
Greddy I am not sure, but I know that Teruyume on the boards here has retrofitted the Blitz xB supercharger kit.

I've not yet heard of a turbo installed on a Yaris yet. Probably lots in Japan
Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
While I would love to go boosted, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea seeing as how our engines come with a 10.5 compression. I'm not sure of the bore or stroke, but going boosted only seems like a quick way to kill the engine. Also considering that our stock ECU is tuned to where the Yaris can run this high compression on swamp-gas (87 octane), I think that with a proper ECU flash and fuel tuning, we could see substantial gains in the N/A department.

Free up the intake (ITB's FTW!) and exhaust system, then look into valve springs, maybe a custom billet cam, a reworked head and maybe a thinker metal headgasket, then get a stand alone engine management system from Haltech or AEM and you could probably see around 140-150WHP on an N/A powerplant. The hardest part would be the wiring, but any shop around you could do it. Also, with the stand alone system, you could program where your HP gains would be, the relation of throttle response and, with the reworked valve springs, even raise the redline depending on the strength of the internals.

Doing this would, of course, lower the engine life, but not as much as an S/C or Turbo. Just a second opinion for those would want it. Feel free to discuss.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #22
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran Kizama View Post
While I would love to go boosted, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea seeing as how our engines come with a 10.5 compression. I'm not sure of the bore or stroke, but going boosted only seems like a quick way to kill the engine. Also considering that our stock ECU is tuned to where the Yaris can run this high compression on swamp-gas (87 octane), I think that with a proper ECU flash and fuel tuning, we could see substantial gains in the N/A department.

Free up the intake (ITB's FTW!) and exhaust system, then look into valve springs, maybe a custom billet cam, a reworked head and maybe a thinker metal headgasket, then get a stand alone engine management system from Haltech or AEM and you could probably see around 140-150WHP on an N/A powerplant. The hardest part would be the wiring, but any shop around you could do it. Also, with the stand alone system, you could program where your HP gains would be, the relation of throttle response and, with the reworked valve springs, even raise the redline depending on the strength of the internals.

Doing this would, of course, lower the engine life, but not as much as an S/C or Turbo. Just a second opinion for those would want it. Feel free to discuss.
I just bought my PW Yaris this week. It will be completely apart in the comming weeks. As this car is specifically going to be used on the track.
I would be more than happy to help unravel what this little car can really do.
My only conccern is that I am not a big fan of piggyback controllers. I was curious to see if anyone like Techtom has a flash program available or maybe even freeware obdII reflashing interface.
Head work is key to our project. I'll update with pics.
Reducing the life of the engine? For sure on the stock platform. But there are plenty of ways to extend life even with a bit more horsepower. The goal is to be at 200 WHP by the spring.
I'll keep you guys updated.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #23
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Nice! I look forward to the info. Any pics or details on the stock internals would be greatly appreciated!

Also, for a stand alone system, check out the Haltech E6X. They're popular with a lot of budget tuners and can be found for cheap on E-Bay if you're really pinching your pennies.

http://www.haltech.com/e6x.htm
Old 12-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #24
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Sounds great, we look forward to seeing what you can do. And Ran, I you want to know what our stock rods look like, just look at your pinky finger
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #25
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
Sounds great, we look forward to seeing what you can do. And Ran, I you want to know what our stock rods look like, just look at your pinky finger
That's better than what my SE-R Spec V had.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Guys, why spend the money, save it and buy the t-sport (140hp) late 2007, and mod from that platform?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #27
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
Guys, why spend the money, save it and buy the t-sport (140hp) late 2007, and mod from that platform?
Gotta work with what you have already.

If you are looking for something fast I think you bought the wrong car.

Superchargers are not going to make any 4cyl car into a rocket ship. The best you can hope for is getting a properly sized s/c so that you can put a smaller pulley on it and get more boost.

Straight line speed by itself is not all its cracked up to be. Punch and I both had turbo 4cyls with close to 300 HP. Spinning the tires halfway through 3rd is fun the first 5 times you do it.

Having a car that handles well is immensely more fun IMO.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #28
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Nice! I look forward to the info. Any pics or details on the stock internals would be greatly appreciated!

Also, for a stand alone system, check out the Haltech E6X. They're popular with a lot of budget tuners and can be found for cheap on E-Bay if you're really pinching your pennies.

http://www.haltech.com/e6x.htm
I've used them in the past. Very adaptable.
I will most likely use a different approach. I don't want to get into it yet but I promise to give you guys a heads up shortly.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #29
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
The price of the vehicle won't be worth it for me in the long run. I bought an absolute base model specifically for the track. Very light weight plenty of time to fab parts.

What are the specs on that car anyway?
Whats the increase in power comming from?
And is it the same base engine?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #30
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
Gotta work with what you have already.

If you are looking for something fast I think you bought the wrong car.

Superchargers are not going to make any 4cyl car into a rocket ship. The best you can hope for is getting a properly sized s/c so that you can put a smaller pulley on it and get more boost.

Straight line speed by itself is not all its cracked up to be. Punch and I both had turbo 4cyls with close to 300 HP. Spinning the tires halfway through 3rd is fun the first 5 times you do it.

Having a car that handles well is immensely more fun IMO.
Agreed, It will be a fun track car with plenty of power at 200 WHP. That is all this car needs. With the proper management and 8 psi from forced induction it will do the job just fine.
I too have had turbo 4cyl my entire life, they are funner to drive than bulky V8's.
Man how quick those days have gone. I built my first one in 1991! LOL
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #31
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
yea, weight reduction, chassis reinforcements, sway bars, suspension and naturally aspirated mods are the way to go!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #32
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

I'm wondering if I can't take the individual throttle bodies off an MR-2 or AE86 and put them on the Yaris with a custom bracket and throttle cable.

Drive-by-wire sucks.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #33
acrbill

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can't take the individual throttle bodies off an MR-2 or AE86 and put them on the Yaris with a custom bracket and throttle cable.

Drive-by-wire sucks.
Physically adapting ITB's wouldn't be insanely difficult, but making them work would be.

N/A mods will leave you broke and underwhelmed. With the amount of money it would take to get the car into the 16s you could buy another car that has potential to go fast.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
acrbill

Quote:

Drive-by-wire sucks.
Drive by wire sucks when it seems like it is not listening to 100% of your commands or if it is delayed. The truth is that drive by wire has the potential to snap open the throttle faster than it would if it was cable driven.

Its one of those things that could probably be flashed into the ecu.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #35
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Fitting ITB's won't be a problem, Dan actually sells a premade "kit" for this:

www.danstoy.net

You can either remap the ECU to accept the mechanical throttle and TPS signals or you can swap ECU's to a standalone (TEC3 on the scion above) or run the OEM Toyota AE101 or AE111 ECU's.

Keep in mind all of this won't do much for power, believe the red Scion only makes ~130 crank HP, but they did this more for the looks, sound and they are now planning to turbo the car.

If your plan is to go N/A on this engine, the easiest way to do this is to pick up a spare junk motor for under $500, then experiment with cams, and valvetrain, since that is where the biggest restriction is. You can then bump up compression and with beefier rods/bearings/pistons raise rev limiter and making some more top end. I would budget somewhere in the range of $4-$7K for the engine alone.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #36
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
some guy on another board tried to get a lot more horsepower out of his xB, but kept it NA. its a long thread: +24hp NA