Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
Thanks for posting this review!

Ford has come a long way. I traded my Yaris in on a 2010 Focus Sedan SE 5-speed in February. I still loved my Yaris--just wanted something different. I swore 15 years ago that I would never buy another Ford. Even though their slogan at the time was "Quality is job one," the 1995 Contour I had proved different.

My Focus has been problem free except for a squeak in the seat which was repaired under warranty. J. D. Powers just named it as the best compact car in terms of initial quality. Since the current model is coming to the end of its life cycle, Ford has loaded it with high content and offered huge rebates. You can purchase a Focus for much less than a Fiesta. Obviously, the fuel economy of the Focus is not as good, but still decent.

See my car at http://www.theparson.net/focus.htm

I may very well purchase a Fiesta (or even another Yaris) some day.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
By most reports, Ford probably has a winner with the new Fiesta.

I have always been partial to Fords. The only reason I got 2 Toyotas is because when I got a new car in '02, Ford had nothing I wanted.
So, I got a Celica and then, a Yaris in '09. Toyotas have seved me very well.

I'm glad Ford is doing well as I just applied for my Ford retirement benefits.
I worked for them from '67-'79. It's not much but, at least it wiil pay for gas, insurance, etc for my Toyotas.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #21
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
Nice to hear everyone's take on the Ford vs. Toyota battle!

Me - I know if I go to a dealership and request a brochure or car information (and in some cases a test drive) I better get what I want - anonymously for print information (why should I give my name and # for a brochure?)

I find that Ford dealerships in BC are so DAMN protective of "walk-ins" - you'd think post-recession the sales reps would be happy there are people thinking of the Fiesta at all anyway
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
There's not any battle, just a healthy competition between two great auto manufactures.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
hmmm I'll consider what ever is available when i get rid of my Yaris... (wonder what the 2020 fiesta will be like? lol)

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
if its like the US focus, it will be the same thing!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #25
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The Ford Fiesta looks like a winner IMO, but I would never trade in my Toyota Yaris for one. I like the simplicity of my Yaris.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #26
alby_yaris

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
The Ford Fiesta looks like a winner IMO, but I would never trade in my Toyota Yaris for one. I like the simplicity of my Yaris.
me too
My dad has a Focus but I still prefer my toyota
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
we just got 44.56 m.p.g. with our '08 automatic sedan earlier ( 2 bars , 161.5 miles , and 3.62 gallons of gas ) . Decided to remove the ECO-METER from the 2010 automatic 3 door and install it in the '08 . What a difference . The E.M. showed 44.2 , is a little low than the fill , but got tired of fiddling with the setting for it . Would be hard to get rid of either one of the YARIS for a FIESTA , FOCUS , or MAZDA 2 . Now if the '08 and '10 would stop leaking oil to give more reason not to ditch 'em .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #28
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Never buy the first year of any car....
I'd hold off on a US Fiesta till after the "Honeymoon/hype" period.
Let's see what problems crop up after a year on US streets first.
I'm VERY pleased with my Yaris and don't really want most of the overly complex junk that Fords been loading into its cars lately.
Also, is the Fiesta built in Mexico? If so, RUN!!!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
Hershey

yes , built in MEXICO . The FORD Festiva ( rebadged MAZDA 121 , 1.3 ltr. engine ) of old was built there as well . That was a good dependable car . Time will tell for the FIESTA .
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
There is a Ford Fiesta (USA) forum now. Here's a new owner review on the Fiesta: http://www.fordfiestaforum.com/index...allic-red-ses/
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #31
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
welcome . 5 speed base model you get 7 airbags ( includes driver knee bag ) , E.S.C. , and Traction Control ( on/off ) . Tachometer , tilt / telescopic steering wheel , and integrated side spotter mirrors to help you be aware of other vehicles entering the " blind zone " . I think you also get outdoor temp and average mileage .
no outdoor temp or avg. / current mileage with the base model .
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #32
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I'm surprised no one's noticed the 2012 Focus. Looks like a slightly more bloated Fiesta hatch.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I'm surprised no one's noticed the 2012 Focus. Looks like a slightly more bloated Fiesta hatch.
it looks the same because Ford is doing the "kinetic" styling. The fiesta is taking the place of the OLD focus and the new focus is being bumped up a market class.
Also
FIestaFLy from the people who run focusfanatics...i think.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #34
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
we have 2 YARIS with engine oil leaks . So , we're not to happy witth TOYOTA as of now .
I like the Yaris for the good design, versatility and off course for the gas economy BUT I really don’t like the fact that with only 58k the car needed this problems corrected

Suspension Clunk: still can’t find it, probably is coming from the struts, it’s been since two weeks old, dealer can’t find.

Seats loud squeaky noise: I’m not a heavy guy and my wife either. The repair took an air bag installed facing the middle console and 7 months to correct all the stuff that they messed up in the car like panels, covers etc, I demanded Toyota to replace the entire seats and they weren’t able, at least 80% of the seats got replaced. Six months later the problem came back, I decided to remove the seat covers and placed a more resistant felt, making sure the things where properly installed by the service manual. Now it’s ok.

Axle seal leaking gear oil: The warranty took care of it at 47k.

Strong Sulfur smell: Annoying when I needed the power on the car and the nasty smell stayed in.
I found the TSB and they replaced the catalytic mid section.

A/C drain got clogged due to lack of cabin air filter from factory or a type of screen from the outside intake, it allows debris to go in into the air box, Toyota is probably saving 5 bucks in there and maybe that’s is too much. I noticed the problem when water came out on the passenger’s side. I cleaned it with peroxide, made my filter, and that was the solution…it also helped for the mildew smell. They worst part is that they are aware of this problem.

Water pump Starts Leaking at 56k (Almost at the end of the power train warranty, I’m lucky!) The dealer made a bunch of scratches in the engine bay while doing this repair.

Sub frame got loose and started making a nasty clunk on the bottom when breaking hard, the dealer re-torque the nuts and it’s been fine.

Gearbox Leaking from main axle or Input shaft, the entire transmission will be replaced this week.

I hate that this happened to my Yaris; I never thought this would occur I started doing some mods and felt worst.

Installed a really nice little the tachometer (white led Illumination, custom painted gunmetal the Gage pod and the two side thin panels By the radio A/C section for closer interior match), Installed CtScott cruise control (works Great), replaced the entire bulbs for SMD VLED’s (they look fantastic), made the fogs DRL LED, Installed Bi-xenon Hid’s, changed for Vitz emblems.

Knowing the mechanical flaws makes me wonder if the car will hold for a while. I went for arbitration but Toyota won the case, NCDS changed the story and never mentioned the airbag problem. I’m still looking for other alternatives. Will see…
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #35
Hershey

wow , not good . Hope you have better luck in the future . As for the FIESTA . My other 1/2 noticed the engine and tranny are made in BRAZIL , while the car is assembled in MEXICO . We'll wait and see how things go for the FIESTA . Mean while we'll keep our fingers crossed with the oil leaks .
Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #36
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Let's hope they oil leaks stop for good... I think is good to wait at least 3 years to check the reviews on the fiesta, I really like it but who knows how the USDM version will behave, probably will be better than the Yaris.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote