Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
3k rpm @ 70 is too high? I've owned a good amount of japanese cars and i just find it being normal?
I agree. These cars only have a 1.5l engine. If you think the Yaris is bad, my IS300 5-speed, with the 3l, 2JZGE inline 6, unbelievably revs even higher (about 3300rpm @ 70 in 5th gear) than my Yaris 5-speed. But that low (numerically higher) rear end gives it a lot more pep than 200hp really should. But mileage really takes a beating, the best I ever got out of it is 30MPG at a steady, cruise controlled, 70MPH...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Higher and higher gearing can be overdone. Just try driving the 5 speed in top gear at 35 mph and see how good of mileage you get. While the rpm's may be construed as "high" (relative to what....) the engine is not working hard/manifold pressure is low. Granted it is a balancing act, and in theory I'd like a 10 speed to play around with, but I don't sweat not having a higher gear in my Yaris as much as I do not being able to open my rear windows!

I've seen different airplane drivers fooling around with ground adjustable pitch props, going coarser and coarser (like higher and higher gearing) hoping and getting lower revs at a certain cruise speed, but you reach a point where the economy doesn't improve past a certain point. Let's face it the Yaris is a inexpensive car, so the engineers' split the difference, a 5 speed instead of a 6 is one of those compromises. If you are obsessed with lower revs at a certain speed, it would be more practical to get larger tires and wheels. Keep in mind they'd weigh more and raise the vehicle thus more drag, probably canceling out any gains in MPG.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
Higher and higher gearing can be overdone. Just try driving the 5 speed in top gear at 35 mph and see how good of mileage you get. While the rpm's may be construed as "high" (relative to what....) the engine is not working hard/manifold pressure is low. Granted it is a balancing act, and in theory I'd like a 10 speed to play around with, but I don't sweat not having a higher gear in my Yaris as much as I do not being able to open my rear windows!

I've seen different airplane drivers fooling around with ground adjustable pitch props, going coarser and coarser (like higher and higher gearing) hoping and getting lower revs at a certain cruise speed, but you reach a point where the economy doesn't improve past a certain point. Let's face it the Yaris is a inexpensive car, so the engineers' split the difference, a 5 speed instead of a 6 is one of those compromises. If you are obsessed with lower revs at a certain speed, it would be more practical to get larger tires and wheels. Keep in mind they'd weigh more and raise the vehicle thus more drag, probably canceling out any gains in MPG.
Well stated. I know from operating both 2 and 4 stroke motorcycles most of my life that there are "sweet spots" in the power curve, where the engine is operating efficiently and with little effort, (it is usually on the front side of the torque and HP curves). This is where you want to be to maximize your mpg, but also to extend the life of the engine. For a Yaris 1.5L, that seems to be between 2,250 and 2,650 RPMs. That is where my engine is most .
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
I'm sorry but what yall are forgetting to take into account is that in Europe out 1.5 comes with a 6speed
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post

Echo was 3.54 final ratio. Yaris appears to be 3.72

That is only 5% different...sure seems more.

The diesel in Eruope has a six speed with 3.55 final ratio and more overdrive on the higher gears. It would be nice to get ahold of one of those it it would bolt to a gas engine.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The right gearing...would help no matter how many speeds...
obviously, and we don't have the right gearing with the stock transmission. You just get a wider spread of better with more gears.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Brianr4

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Well you are correct if the last gear for a 5 speed was the same as a 6 speed. I was looking at the transmission in the car now, but wishing it was 6 gears instead of 5. Which would obviously make the 6th gear a different ratio than the 5th.
Brianr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #26
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I had a Dodge Colt in the early 80's, made by Mitshibushi. It had a two speed transfer case, and a 4 sp. tranny. It was a ball to drive, having two speeds in reverse was fun also! The concept never seemed to catch on, they only did it for a couple years I think.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #27
Blue Y job

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatch
It's always a compromise. More gears cost more. But more features attract more buyers, if the price is right. Price it too low, and Toyota wouldn't make enough $ per unit.
I think it's geared pretty good. A six or more speed would be nice, but my car was so affordable when I bought it, it was a selling point. And the way the engine was designed and with the small displacement, it would be a complete dog at 2000 rpm at cruise speed. To change your speed or to go up even a slight hill, you would have to downshift.
In the Mustang world, it's the opposite situation, most everyone wants to make the engine spin more for more acceleration!
Blue Y job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Y job View Post
It's always a compromise. More gears cost more. But more features attract more buyers, if the price is right. Price it too low, and Toyota wouldn't make enough $ per unit.
I think it's geared pretty good. A six or more speed would be nice, but my car was so affordable when I bought it, it was a selling point. And the way the engine was designed and with the small displacement, it would be a complete dog at 2000 rpm at cruise speed. To change your speed or to go up even a slight hill, you would have to downshift.
In the Mustang world, it's the opposite situation, most everyone wants to make the engine spin more for more acceleration!
this car is so light you almost need no torque to get the thing moving. Cruising at 2000 rpm is fine, and a stab of the throttle is all you need in most passing situations.

The problem is 1st gear and fifth gear are terrible. 1st is too short, even stock cars can spin the front tires too easily, and 5th gear is basically worthless, the difference between 4th and 5th is barely noticeable.

They should have stayed with the gearbox from the echo. Or at least 5th should be a proper overdrive gear.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #29
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
someone did a swap on his tranny..try to look it up..
That would be me...

The thing is, I'm getting better millage now with the 6 speed even though it revs HIGHER than the stock transmission. @100km/h it's now turning 2950rpm instead of 2600.

Process that one

It's not about revving lower, it's about running the engine more efficiently. And for the most part in the city I don't need any more than 2000-2500 in any situation because the gears are SO close together.

But if you're inclined to swap out an echo 3.5 F/D into the yaris, I have my old tranny guts for sale.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #30
N464AT

Drives: 2009 Blazing Blue Liftback
Anybody figure out to drop a Camry V-6 in a yaris hatch yet?
N464AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yes. But you'll need one of these.

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #32
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Echo was 3.54 final ratio. Yaris appears to be 3.72

That is only 5% different...sure seems more.

The diesel in Eruope has a six speed with 3.55 final ratio and more overdrive on the higher gears. It would be nice to get ahold of one of those it it would bolt to a gas engine.
It wouldn't bolt on.. the D4D engine is far different in shape than the 1Nz.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by N464AT View Post
Anybody figure out to drop a Camry V-6 in a yaris hatch yet?
I can't possibly think it would be worth it, unless you had a spare camry engine and can do all the work yourself.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #34
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
It needs a six speed manual transmission, it just pises me off reving too high at 65mph wasting gas. I plan on keeping this thing 20 years as I am just don't like hybrids (due to long term maintenance issues.)

As anyone found a bolt in 6 speed? Will the new Yari's have a 6 speed?
The revs for your car are normal and 3000rpm at 70mph the car is not working hard,it was designed to run that way,.
As for keeping a inexpensive econobox for 20 years?
the rust will get it long before the engine wears out.
Expect to get a new econobox every 10 years.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #35
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The revs for your car are normal and 3000rpm at 70mph the car is not working hard,it was designed to run that way,.
As for keeping a inexpensive econobox for 20 years?
the rust will get it long before the engine wears out.
Expect to get a new econobox every 10 years.
Not down south. Can keep an econobox rust free for as long as is desired and cared for.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #36
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Not down south. Can keep an econobox rust free for as long as is desired and cared for.
You are right but the op is from Pa.
As for keeping the same car for 20yrs,? i'd get bored with the same old car after about 5-6 years or 200K maybe if the car was a specialty car i could see it but a plain old Yaris?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote