Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
So I've had the DPS module installed for a few weeks, and overall I'm happy with it. I haven't messed with too many settings, but my overall impression of the unit is favorable. I still don't have an aftermarket stereo to test against, but I'm planning on taking it out this weekend to see how the stock system sounds (again).

As far as it being "worth it", it's still a very individual choice that hinges mostly on your willingness to install an aftermarket head unit. For most of us YW members, an aftermarket is the answer. For someone who wants to keep the stock HU for security/aesthetic purposes, it's a very viable option for improved audio performance--as long as the price isn't an issue.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Do any of you audiophiles have a suggestion for evaluating the "quality" of sound without de-sensitizing my ears?
This is going to sound like I'm being a troll, but this is not the case...

Go listen to live music. This is important for a true reference.

I mean really, how can you look at me and say, I know how this is supposed to sound if you've never truly heard it live? Tell me what a snare is supposed to sound like. What does a 400 person choir sound like across a sound stage? How does Eric Clapton sound in concert? What guitars did he use?

Get my point?

You're evaluating sound quality on a group of characteristics. I sit writing this as I'll be leaving for the biggest IASCA soundoff in years on the West Coast after work tonight...

Here's a good test for you:

On Michael Jackson's extended cut of Black or White, at the beginning, when the dad pounds on the door, does it sound like the door is being pounded right in front of you on the dash? Is it a full sound? Is the attck and decay of the door accurate? Does it sound like someone has actually placed a door on the hood of your Yaris and is trying to pound it down?

I really wish you could spend a few minutes in my Yaris. You'd hear what it is supposed to sound like.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
This is going to sound like I'm being a troll, but this is not the case...
No offense taken. =) I hadn't really considered using that as a test, I just popped in some discs of what I like to listen to and tried to pick which EQ was the most pleasing. Perhaps I should pull out something less synthetic? I'm thinking perhaps Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper would be a nice start.

I've seen Clapton in concert, but the acoustics from the nosebleed section of the sports venue were crap. Most of what I listen to is electronica/sampled/difficult to reproduce 1:1 live, so there isn't much point in comparing against live recordings.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
CrankyOldMan, Thanks very much for taking the time to get your Bongiovi set up and also for sharing the experience of how your liked the sound coming out of it. I just got my new Yaris a couple weeks ago and after reading your comments I'm thinking of holding off on making the addition of the Bongiovi hardware. I'm looking into other options, like the SRS iWOW etc.

Any recent changes in your opinion of the system?

TIA

Quote:
No offense taken. =) I hadn't really considered using that as a test, I just popped in some discs of what I like to listen to and tried to pick which EQ was the most pleasing. Perhaps I should pull out something less synthetic? I'm thinking perhaps Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper would be a nice start.

I've seen Clapton in concert, but the acoustics from the nosebleed section of the sports venue were crap. Most of what I listen to is electronica/sampled/difficult to reproduce 1:1 live, so there isn't much point in comparing against live recordings.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #23
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrain View Post
Any recent changes in your opinion of the system?
I still haven't gotten around to disconnecting the DPS box, but there is one overall thing that keeps bugging me: flexibility. As much as I want to recommend this gadget, I can't help but thinking that a $50 head unit with 4-5 preset EQ settings--or even a $100 10-band EQ box--would be a more flexible alternative.
The overall sound quality does seem to be good (when stationary) but the road noise of the Yaris really kills the details that you would otherwise hear when parked.

So for now, my recommendation is as follows:

- If you want the ability to tweak the EQ to suit different recordings, or don't have $400+ to spend on it, buy an aftermarket head unit or EQ.

- If you want to keep the OEM look for aesthetics/security purposes and don't mind the lack of flexibility (or you only listen to one radio station or album) and have the money to spend, then by all means, go for it.

Oh, and then there's speakers. I haven't done anything with mine yet, but may swap them out in the next few weeks. That could be another huge game changer since the OE ones are craptastic.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #24
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
I noticed the road noise as well. Coming from a 2005 Echo, the wind noise in front of the windshield was really apparent.
It's telling when you listen to the CD on the highway at 70mph and then come to a stop, the sound level seems pretty high at rest.

I really like the way you go about looking at different solutions, you are not set that one way is going to be the end all, be all for everyone.

It would be great if they had a factory unit with built in EQ for even a little more control of the levels.

With the speakers placed right beside the left foot or right foot if some one is in the passenger side. I don't know if we could ever get great sound. I have a clutch so my leg will always cover the drivers side speaker... If I had an auto I could keep my leg more vertical to stay away from directly blocking the speaker.

Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts !

Quote:
I still haven't gotten around to disconnecting the DPS box, but there is one overall thing that keeps bugging me: flexibility. As much as I want to recommend this gadget, I can't help but thinking that a $50 head unit with 4-5 preset EQ settings--or even a $100 10-band EQ box--would be a more flexible alternative.
The overall sound quality does seem to be good (when stationary) but the road noise of the Yaris really kills the details that you would otherwise hear when parked.

So for now, my recommendation is as follows:

- If you want the ability to tweak the EQ to suit different recordings, or don't have $400+ to spend on it, buy an aftermarket head unit or EQ.

- If you want to keep the OEM look for aesthetics/security purposes and don't mind the lack of flexibility (or you only listen to one radio station or album) and have the money to spend, then by all means, go for it.

Oh, and then there's speakers. I haven't done anything with mine yet, but may swap them out in the next few weeks. That could be another huge game changer since the OE ones are craptastic.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote