Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Unless it's a paint chip, this pinhead is a sign that there's quite a bit more rust under it. Unfortunately no easy way to fix it, need to cut out, weld an repaint. Better do now while it's small, once it's there it will get worse. On my old Civic a pinhead like this turned into a gaping whole in 3-4 winters.
It's a chip from a rock ... just put some clear nail polish on it for now to seal it haha.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
It's a chip from a rock ... just put some clear nail polish on it for now to seal it haha.
good to hear.
I usually scrub down to bare metal, put some rust converting primer and touch up paint on top.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Well it's good to hear that these cars do not have any known rust issues. The rear fender lips, and the giant lip in front of the rear tires are the spots that concern me. The fender lips are partially filled with seam sealer but not enough to keep them from holding dirt. I think I will fill them completely with a sealer that tapers out to prevent the dirt from collecting and make it easy to wash off if it does.

It is my experience that most rust (on cars with decent protection) is caused by the dirt that packs into areas and holds moisture (as was mentioned). This should prevent that. I'm also thinking about using an oil based under-coating on the wheel wells. Also good for sound reduction.

The wiper arms are aluminum and are corroding, not rusting. I had to look closer. I wonder if they aren't having a galvanic reaction with the steel wiper pivots....
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
^ what kind of sealer would you use in a fender lip?

A bodyshop used some kind of waxy sealer in the same spots on my honda, but they say it's not avaliable to public. besides it keeps falling out, I've already seen then a couple of times for that. Would be great to find something so I can apply it myself to both cars.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
rust on paint chips on roof above windshield
Glad I'm not the only one this has happened to.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
So, looks like the best way to prevent rust is to keep it clean, I guess. I've been running my car through an automatic touchless car wash in the winter, so it looks like I'll keep doing it. Automatic touchless carwashes are expensive, $10 around where I live for the full wash, including undercarriage. But getting rust cut out and the panel repainted would cost a lot more, so I shouldn't complain. Silly question, but would driving your car during a heavy rainstorm clean out the fender lips? Or would it actually cause more dirt to accumulate?

I haven't gotten any of the corrosion on the wiper arms that people here are talking about. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
would driving your car during a heavy rainstorm clean out the fender lips?

Not really

Look in your rear wheel well. In front of the tire is a big flat area that rocks and mud collect on. Easy enough to see and clean off. Now run your fingers along the inside of the fender-lip above the tire. You will feel a small lip and it will probably be packed with road dust. On some cars (hondas etc) you just wipe you finger under there when washing the car an it's fine. These cars the lip is small and pointed up. Mine has seam sealer in it, so toyota obviously thought to keep dirt out, but it is not enough. The mud still collects.

My plan is to clean the lip well with a brush and water, heat-gun to make sure there is no moisture left in the lip, then fill the lip completely with 3M exterior seam sealer shaping it so its tapered. Then spray the wheel well with an oil based undercoat. That, combined with washing it properly will hopefully end any rust concerns with the rear fender lip.

I am planning on having this car for it's entire service life so may as well spend a little time now to address it. I have a feeling this little bugger is going to run for a looooong time

Going to try toyota for warranty on the wiper arm. If not, I will clean then spray them with some epoxy primer when I spray my other car. Wiper arms are easy enough to repair/replace. Rear fenders not so much.

Cheers.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
Hamster

I think I might just clean the lip with a brush and water regularly. Especially in the winter, because they salt the roads here. Like you, I plan on having my car forever. Rust is one thing I don't want to deal with. It's very expensive to fix.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #27
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I used to think driving thru accumulated rain water was a good way to clean the wells. Your tires pick up and throw dirt particles from the road that have been subjected to the oil film found there and throw all of it around those now wet wheel wells. That crap sticks in all the hard to get at places. Allowed to remain that damp stuff will eat away at metal. Keeping it clean and dry is good thinking.

I'm like Cory M here...this is my last car so I go to extremes.

Last edited by Klink10; 11-04-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #28
Hamster

Very interesting! So, the trick to avoiding rust is to avoid the rain if possible, since apparently driving through rain can cause rust over time. I imagine driving through snow is even worse. Any tips on keeping the wells clean during the winter? Can cleaning them be held off till spring, or will rust eventually occur if the wheel wells are not constantly kept clean, no matter the time of the year?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #29
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Rain and snow yes. You have to do the best you can in trying to keep things clean and dry. Those areas that use sand and salt during winter are even worse so alot more attention needs to be paid. Yea, if you start on a good cleaning regimen now and do it after the season your vehicle will last alot longer as far as rust is concerned. I don't get hit with the weather you will get there in Oh. We do get snow on occasion and I will not drive my car in it. That said about once every 3 mos. I'll pull everything apart in the back and give it a good wipe down, polish and sealant. Ea. evening after driving I'll blow out all the sand that accumulates just in front of the rear wheels with compressed air. Of course every wash the tires and rims come off allowing me full access to the wells and rim/tires for maintenance. Extreme yea but I use the car as an advertisement.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #30
JTDBT903

Drives: '08 SEDAN 5 SPD.
Just do what I do and get a bucket of grease [I recommend marine type] and a good stiff bristle brush and coat the wheel well lip and any other area that the factory did not apply undercoating. I also spray inside the doors,trunk and hood with oil or tranny fluid. This will save your car!!!! Take it from me I live in the "SNOW BELT".
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I think I might just clean the lip with a brush and water regularly. Especially in the winter, because they salt the roads here
That will go a looong way toward keeping your fenders rust-free. The salt and sand gets thrown up by your tires (along with all sorts of other mud/dust) which finds its way into your fender lips. If you just take a small plastic brush (fingernail brush maybe?) and run it along the inside of the fender lip while its wet you will get most of the junk out. I think if you did this every time you washed your car you would be fine. I am not the best about washing my cars so I'd rather fill the lip and make my life easier in the future.

But yeah, the rust is from the moisture being held by the mud/sand packed in the lip. Clean the mud/sand out and you should keep the rust away. This goes for anywhere that mud/sand collects against metal.

I'm willing to bet that OH is a way saltier part of the world than here. If I lived in the rust-belt, I would look into spending the money for a waxoyl treatment or similar. I'm sure locals know more than I. Winter here is probably nicer than your fall

Cheers,
Cory
Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #32
Hamster

These are all very, very good tips. I'm going to have to write some of this down and stick it on my refrigerator before the winter comes. And Cory, you are right, they salt the roads around here. Running a fingernail brush or an old toothbrush along the fender lip is a pretty easy action, and something that can be done even in very cold weather.

JTDBT903, where does one buy marine grease? I don't know anyone with a boat, so I wouldn't know where to begin to find such a thing.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #33
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
WALMART........

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #34
Hamster

Wow, a quick and easy answer. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #35
JTDBT903

Drives: '08 SEDAN 5 SPD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
WALMART........
Ditto.
Super Tech Marine Grease
I think it's about $3 and change.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #36
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDBT903 View Post
Just do what I do and get a bucket of grease [I recommend marine type] and a good stiff bristle brush and coat the wheel well lip and any other area that the factory did not apply undercoating. I also spray inside the doors,trunk and hood with oil or tranny fluid. This will save your car!!!! Take it from me I live in the "SNOW BELT".
I totally agree. I do the same thing. Helps.