Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
what's your take for springs, Chris, Tein or Tanabe. i really don't want any rear tire rubbing (or any tire).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
From what I personally know of, Megan is considered an "Ebay" brand to all the import tuning shops based in CA that I know of.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

nvm about them then. didn't really enjoy them in my GTI anyway.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

hey yrsdrgn, are you sure that your friend had authentic Tein springs? my friend thought he had the real ones, but it turned out that they were the fake ones.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #23
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Tein states less than 5mm droop in spring after settling. I find it hard to see that they would droop. I believe the Tein have 3.3k front and rear springing. The Tanabes I think are 3.3k front and only like 2.2k rear. Dont quote me on that but I know the Tein are much stiffer in the rear. I have never had Tein but I rank them high in my would buy list. I feel they are a very reputable brand. Nothing against the Tanabes though, just merely going by spring rates. The Tein and the Cusco are the cheapest I believe that I would go. There are some really nice setups out there but you're looking at like 3g's +
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
yrsdrgn

Nicest setup by far for Yaris from what i know of is the HKS coilovers with 30-way dampening which go for 1.9k USD
Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
Tein states less than 5mm droop in spring after settling. I find it hard to see that they would droop. I believe the Tein have 3.3k front and rear springing. The Tanabes I think are 3.3k front and only like 2.2k rear. Dont quote me on that but I know the Tein are much stiffer in the rear. I have never had Tein but I rank them high in my would buy list. I feel they are a very reputable brand. Nothing against the Tanabes though, just merely going by spring rates. The Tein and the Cusco are the cheapest I believe that I would go. There are some really nice setups out there but you're looking at like 3g's +
the rear for the the S.Tech is 3.5k, i believe.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
Nicest setup by far for Yaris from what i know of is the HKS coilovers with 30-way dampening which go for 1.9k USD
heart attack!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
yrsdrgn

Yup that's why i went with my cusco coils hehe=P But hey man, I'm sure whatever you plan on purchasing you like the results.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

okay, this is tougher than i thought. i mainly drive on the free way, and the city roads in which i drive on aren't too bad. heck, sometimes the freeways are worse.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #29
Kaotic Lazagna

i was about to get the DF's, but then i started reading the reviews here and how the rear bottom out sometimes...so that's why i turned to Tein.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #30
yrsdrgn

O I see. Maybe you should get the car tinted first and then see which suspension components you want to get with the left over money? It might give you more time to think about it.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #31
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
O I see. Maybe you should get the car tinted first and then see which suspension components you want to get with the left over money? It might give you more time to think about it.
yeah, that's one thing i can do. ahhh, this is not as easy as i thought it would be. lol...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #32
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
what's your take for springs, Chris, Tein or Tanabe. i really don't want any rear tire rubbing (or any tire).
Speaking from my experience only.

I use this car for work only, which is a 120 mile round trip drive, 98% of which is all highway driving at speeds of 65-75mph the entire time.
The other 2% is city, but only because I live less then 5 miles from the highway entrance.

I have never once had a complaint about these Tanabe DF's.. never bottomed out... never rubbed/scrubbed tires, front or rear... and the only suggestion I would make, is getting different shocks from the get go when installing the Tanabe's. Most stock shocks are crap anyway, no matter who the manufacturer.

With all this being said, keep in mind knowone has ever driven in the car with me. Never a passenger up front, nor the rear so I can't give any feedback of the car being loaded down (carpool situation) and how the suspension reacted. I have had a good amount of crap in the back at times, and still never an issue.
The few times I needed to drive on some crappy roads, up around the airport, the suspension worked just fine, and didnt rub, scrub or bottom out. Trick is to drive AROUND those road craters, not in them.

Hope the above helps you some.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #33
jdubau55

Quote:

There is another company that makes a set that goes for over 3g's. Cant remember the company though. Now that will bug me.

Edit: NM, it was for the older style Yaris

http://www.kw-gmbh.de/en/40_News/10_..._lang=2&id=920
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #34
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Speaking from my experience only.

I use this car for work only, which is a 120 mile round trip drive, 98% of which is all highway driving at speeds of 65-75mph the entire time.
The other 2% is city, but only because I live less then 5 miles from the highway entrance.

I have never once had a complaint about these Tanabe DF's.. never bottomed out... never rubbed/scrubbed tires, front or rear... and the only suggestion I would make, is getting different shocks from the get go when installing the Tanabe's. Most stock shocks are crap anyway, no matter who the manufacturer.

With all this being said, keep in mind knowone has ever driven in the car with me. Never a passenger up front, nor the rear so I can't give any feedback of the car being loaded down (carpool situation) and how the suspension reacted. I have had a good amount of crap in the back at times, and still never an issue.
The few times I needed to drive on some crappy roads, up around the airport, the suspension worked just fine, and didnt rub, scrub or bottom out. Trick is to drive AROUND those road craters, not in them.

Hope the above helps you some.

yeah, i basically live off the freeway too. but i really wanted the 3.5kg spring rate in the rear that the S.Tech's hasb(because of the carpool situation). the DF's only have a 2.2 kg spring rate, right? i'm really assuming that that will be too soft for me...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #35
jdubau55

Well then go for them. Everyone here has gone with the Tanabes. Mainly because they are cheaper probably. I personally want the Teins. Really I just want the cool little spring guy Tein sticker.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #36
Kaotic Lazagna

lol...i guess i really wanted to know why not a lot of people here bought the Tein's. but yeah, i think i might order them tonight, or tomorrow...