Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack
 

View Poll Results: Will they fit???
Yeah, probably 4 40.00%
Hell No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
CLEARS - 195/75-14 All Terrains

They cleared. Barely. This is with the Micro Image lowering springs.




It's really tucked in, so there isn't rubbing. But, this was on straight pavement.

justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Ben_
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 269
:o you are my new best friend dude that is amazing

I WANT I WANT I WANT
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
plus an inch....give or take a quarter of an inch. LOL - yeah, i'm getting excited.

I've been planning which trails to hit with it.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Ben_
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 269
So let's get an update.... How is is cruising?
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
WOW... I can't believe it took me nearly a year to finally get the rest of the tires and take it off road!!!!

So yes. Earlier this month, I put the tires on, and went for it's maiden trip on the 16th. Took it to the closest trail I could find. It's also one of the easiest I know. Sure, it has a few spots that are more challenging, but it's mostly an easy trail.

Ben: Cruising with the larger tires is okay. They seem softer for the ride, and lower the overall cruising RPM. I don't like that I "lost" some power, since they're quite a bit heavier than I was used to. MPGs has dropped. I'm still working on getting an average, but it's clear it has dropped.

The larger tires at stock height clear....mostly. At full lock, the d/s rubs the fender liner (just barely). I attribute this to a prior set of tire setup when I was lowered and i rubbed the crap out of the liner. I'm sure it loosened it some and even ripped some small sections off the liner. No big deal. It also rubs a tiny amount at full lock on the factory tie down hooks (?) near the frame rail. These are the hooks that they use for transporting the new cars from the factory, I believe.

Anyway, my boss keeps coming around, so I can't get into more detail. But here are some pics... I'll post up some videos in a week or so.












Last edited by justjesus; 05-22-2015 at 02:40 PM.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Nice! Did you get a chance to bottom out on all corners? I'd like to try these for rallyX, but not if it's going to eat my bumper fascia and/or fenders.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Nice! Did you get a chance to bottom out on all corners? I'd like to try these for rallyX, but not if it's going to eat my bumper fascia and/or fenders.
I didn't bottom out on the suspension, if that's what you mean. I didn't drive fast, mostly cruising at lower speeds in 1st gear.

Fenders and rear bumper were just fine. Front bumper was hit at the bottom in a few spots. You can see that in one of the videos I'll eventually post.

There are some rally yaris out there, and they seem to be doing fine with their bumpers.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
I think they run a slightly smaller tire, but are going significantly faster. =) I would be using them for rallyX, so there would be a high potential for bottoming out and biting the fenders.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
Ahhh, I see. Have you considered a more Yaris friendly size in the form of some rally gravel tires? RallyX could be fun!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
ern-diz
 
ern-diz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA all day
Posts: 3,794
So much win
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
thewifesyaris
 
thewifesyaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 418
Resurrecting an old thread, but I am curious if there is any update to the outcome of longevity of running these tires on the Yaris justjesus?

I live in Rural Oregon and there are tons of trails that I would love to be able to take my car on rather than the gas hog truck.

Also, what are the specs on the wheels? 14x8? What offset? Spacer?

I currently have the Yaris lowered on 195-60-15s with Tein lowering springs. I still have the stock shocks, but I wouldn't mind getting more than a few inches of height over stock with a spacer lift of some sort.

Anyways, awesome job with making it happen on an off road capable Yaris justjesus!
__________________
Two Yari on home!
thewifesyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
haha...is the thread that old?

I'm still running them. I drive roughly 70 miles per day. I look at them almost daily, and they still look pretty much new.

Honda Civic HX wheel. Believe it's a 14x5.5 with a 45 offset. I did need a small spacer (dont know if it's 2mm, since a friend gave them to me and he doesn't know) for the front wheels to clear the caliper. It barely clears with those on there.

Kosei has a wheel (K1TS) that is 14x6 and weighs a tad over 9lbs. Offset is 38mm (look for a Honda application, ex, 1991 honda crx) and is 120/wheel. If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably run some Volk TE37s of some sort in a 14" size. I just happened to have the HX wheels sitting around from another project.

I probably wouldn't run them on lowering springs. Things get a bit tight under there with the tire at 195/75-14.

For a lift, I think I have the rear mostly figured out. Just need to use a longer shock, or use a shock extension. The front, the easiest solution is how CTScott has on his Crashy. Although I still have other ideas brewing, they're on the back burner for now while I focus on other things.

A skid plate would also be nice. Well plates. I'd like to protect the lines/wiring that run lenghwise along the "frame" rails underneath.

Last edited by justjesus; 11-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
thewifesyaris
 
thewifesyaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
haha...is the thread that old?

I'm still running them. I drive roughly 70 miles per day. I look at them almost daily, and they still look pretty much new.

Honda Civic HX wheel. Believe it's a 14x5.5 with a 45 offset. I did need a small spacer (dont know if it's 2mm, since a friend gave them to me and he doesn't know) for the front wheels to clear the caliper. It barely clears with those on there.

Kosei has a wheel (K1TS) that is 14x6 and weighs a tad over 9lbs. Offset is 38mm (look for a Honda application, ex, 1991 honda crx) and is 120/wheel. If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably run some Volk TE37s of some sort in a 14" size. I just happened to have the HX wheels sitting around from another project.

I probably wouldn't run them on lowering springs. Things get a bit tight under there with the tire at 195/75-14.

For a lift, I think I have the rear mostly figured out. Just need to use a longer shock, or use a shock extension. The front, the easiest solution is how CTScott has on his Crashy. Although I still have other ideas brewing, they're on the back burner for now while I focus on other things.

A skid plate would also be nice. Well plates. I'd like to protect the lines/wiring that run lenghwise along the "frame" rails underneath.
I guess the thread is not that old.

Thanks for the infos.

I found a cool wheel I think I will go with, not as light, but around the same price. I could probably find a dealer that can get those K1-TS's too if needed.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...8&autoModClar=

These should clear without a spacer. Then I'll need to raise the car back to stock height and or look at a longer spring for the rear. Might look at getting a local shop to fab up a spacer for the front coilovers. Depends on how much clearance there is with the stock springs, I am going to do that 1st before looking at anything else.

I am curious if anyone knows of an adjustable coilover system that would allow for lowered and raised heights, so as to perhaps swap back and forth.

Anyways, this is all homework really as I just bought new tires a few months back and will likely run those till they are dead than make this change. However, it doesn't hurt to start buying things while I wait. I may get impatient and make the switch sooner too.
__________________
Two Yari on home!
thewifesyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post
...

I am curious if anyone knows of an adjustable coilover system that would allow for lowered and raised heights, so as to perhaps swap back and forth.

Anyways, this is all homework really as I just bought new tires a few months back and will likely run those till they are dead than make this change. However, it doesn't hurt to start buying things while I wait. I may get impatient and make the switch sooner too.
I like those sparcos. The design is cool.

I've been thinking of that type of coilover system for some time. For mix use between daily driving, off road, and occasional autoX. BUT that is too much to fill, as one requires stiffer spring rates (autoX). I'd still be happy with softer springs, but at least having something adjustable from being 2" taller than stock, and down to about 2" lower than stock. That's a 4" range. Likely need a totally custom set up for that.

I've been doing the homework for too damn long. But life gets in the way, so applying some of the things to the Yaris is taking forever. As it is, it took me like a year just to go back to stock height with the BFG All Terrains!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
thewifesyaris
 
thewifesyaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 418
I feel you on the timeline of my projects.

I love the idea of being able to raise and lower the car on a whim. I doubt I will be able to find or afford this type of system. The wheels and tires are going to run close to 1000 as is. It will be a while before I get to that part, the funds.
__________________
Two Yari on home!
thewifesyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Ben_
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 269
There are a lot of airbag coil over kits if I remember right....
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
justjesus
 
justjesus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post
The wheels and tires are going to run close to 1000 as is. It will be a while before I get to that part, the funds.
Yeah, i went the cheapest route possible, and wheels/tires were still at about 750 or so. I would also love to run the xB final drive and an LSD but THAT'S a nice chunk of change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
There are a lot of airbag coil over kits if I remember right....
Indeed, there are choices. I'm not too familiar with the ones made for the Yaris, but my guess is that they're made more for show cars, or guys who just want to be slammed to the ground.



I'll be starting another thread for dirt road / off road with some pics and some short videos to give you guys an idea as to what I've dealt with so far, and throw my thoughts out as well. Will do so throughout the week
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #18
Ben_
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 269
Nice! Look forward to it
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All terrain tires for cars? Captain Slow Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 14 11-01-2013 11:05 PM
Newly installed 15" tires feel 'weird' kristan Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 20 04-24-2010 06:58 PM
2007 Yaris bad tires weaver615 Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 17 03-27-2010 07:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.