Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
not on the hatch they dont but there are 2 on the side in the back where the back seats are on the sides... idk that does not make sence if u understand me then yay if not ill try and take pictures later
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i don't have a LB, but aren't the speakers right next to where your thighs would be if you were sitting in the rear seats?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
A speaker has to play a wide range of frequencies.

A one-way speaker can sound great because it has no crossover to color the sound, but I know of no great sounding one-way car speakers (Magnapan and other one-way home speakers are considered very high-end).

A two-way speaker splits the frequencies to different drivers, usually a tweeter for the highs and a woofer for the lows, and a three-way adds a midrange driver for, guess what, the mids. If you add a subwoofer, that would actually be a four-way system!

I don't know of a 6.5", 6x9", or any other door speaker, that goes down to the lowest sounds in music (20 Hz). That's why, in any car or home system, a subwoofer is almost essential. CDs, DVDs, iPods, etc. can all deliver sounds this low. Bass notes take a lot more power to play cleanly than high notes - that's why big drivers and big amps are used for subwoofers.

Power is often misunderstood. What usually blows up a tweeter, for example, is an amplifier with too little power driven to distortion. The way to keep that distortion away is to have an amplifier with more clean power - you can almost never cause harm with a bigger amplifier. The wattage numbers on the speakers mean next to nothing - each manufacturer can call them just about whatever they want - but the sensitivity number can mean something (a speaker that is more sensitive than another will play louder with the same available power than the less efficient speaker, leading again to cleaner sound).

So: speakers first - a lot of good brands out there. You can't evaluate them in your car, and a dealer's wall o' speakers can't show you how they will sound in your car, so it's a tough job. Luckily, there are many 6.5" component speakers out there that will fit where the stock Yaris speakers fit and sound tons better - I chose MB Quart QSC 216s. I would avoid most Japanese manufacturers, but there are exceptions.

amplifiers second - as much clean power as possible, within reason.

head unit third - get the features you want from a reputable company. I'm not a huge Sony fan, but I just installed a Sony MEX-DV2000, for its surround sound capabilities.

calibration - hire somebody knowlegeable who won't just throw the system together. They should have test gear to help them calibrate the level of each speaker, establish the gain structure, etc.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote