Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #19
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
i know what you mean acrbill, especially since your near the schaumburg area, srt4, evo, and sti people uggg. well i guess its the age range, the older people are pretty cool, its just the younger ones who think their the badd assesss.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #20
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I can't help but find this thread utterly hilarious.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
sure it is. Chris Rado's Time Attack tC kicks ass at the track and so does mine.
We have a retired Ford Probe dragster in the garage that runs 9's, but I'd hardly consider a Probe a sports car. The Scion tC is like the original 240SX. It looks like a sports car, and it wants to be a sports car but, sadly it's not. It's as much of a sports car as a Honda Accord coupe is.

Quote:
You can bash that car club all you want (and I might even join in), but I will defend the brand to the death -- it's a great car.
Nobody said it wasn't a great car. I had fun test driving one and I think they look sharp as well. It's hardly a true sports car though.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Sports cars are RWD two seaters,you can kick and scream all day about it but a TC is nowhere near a sportscar. I laugh when mustang guys call there car a sports car,its not, its a sports coupe,like the TC. Sports cars are meant to go fast around a race track. A miata is a sports car,a corvette is a sportscar,a mr2 is a sports car. A scion TC is not and will never be.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #23
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I don't know where you guys automaticlly got the concept that sports cars are all RWD. Sports cars are based on class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Actually, who draws the line for sports cars? Bugatti Veyron is a super hyper car, and uses AWD, but someone might draw the line for that car, since its the fastest production car out there currently.j

I think the "Sport" class is a broad class. Which ranges from subcompact, like the Yaris, to four-door, like the Mazdaspeed6. Not to forget the crazy speeds like the McLaren F1, and the Bugatti Veyron.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #24
redduck

Drives: Yaris
this whole argument is subjective to opinion.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Here we go.

Motorhead, I eat Miatas for lunch, but to you my Scion's still not a sports car, I guess.

Um, I guess my membership in SCCA is null and void? You know it stand for Sport Car Club of America, and allows a lot of the cars you're saying aren't "sports cars". LOL.

Where do all these NARROW points of view come from anyway?

Name your official source, please? I'd like to be educated.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #26
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Here we go.

Motorhead, I eat Miatas for lunch, but to you my Scion's still not a sports car, I guess.

Um, I guess my membership in SCCA is null and void? You know it stand for Sport Car Club of America, and allows a lot of the cars you're saying aren't "sports cars". LOL.

Where do all these NARROW points of view come from anyway?

Name your official source, please? I'd like to be educated.
Yes you are correct your car is still not a sports car,the official definition is RWD,2 seat,convertable. If it does not fit all three,it is not a sports car. Your car may be sporty,but it still doesn't fit the bill. Sportscar has nothing to do with being fast in all out speed or being able to woop on a sportscar. You have a sport coupe. SCCA allows trucks to race whats your point? Does that make it a sportscar lol? I bet you call the president and ask him the official definition of a sports car he would tell you the same thing,if he has any knowledge of automotive history that is.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #27
Motorhead6T5

Another thing,I'm being generous by even calling a TC a sports couple lol. Its really not fast at all,its more just a coupe. Sure you can make anything fast. But by your thinking,my yaris would be considered a sports car and its far from it lol. My 1 ton long bed truck went 15.6 @ 91,so I wouldn't consider a TC to even be a reletivly fast car for its era.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
I guess that includes me, since I own a tC?
not really seeing as your cool to me. its some dork in a star wars tee shirt and camo shorts gonna tell me i can't be in a car show that gets me. last time i checked your valve cover said toyota does it not????

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
the official definition is RWD,2 seat,convertable
I asked you, with all due respect, to name your official source for that definition. I want to see it, maybe you can end the argument with a WIN!

Meanwhile, there are literally hundreds of articles like the following, all in agreement that the definition is not as narrow as you claim.

Here's a good example:
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-11-2006-88657.asp

ROCKLAND, I getcha -- you did say "fuck a scion owner", which I reacted to, maybe you meant just that one and weren't generalizing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
Yes you are correct your car is still not a sports car,the official definition is RWD,2 seat,convertable.
Hah! I bite my thumb at your definition!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

"A sports car is type of automobile designed for sporting performance. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition such as when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on corners."

There are plenty of ways to define it, but your "official" definition?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I bet you call the president and ask him the official definition of a sports car he would tell you
OK, just for fun (and this should be fun, even if we're arguing)...

I emailed Jim Julow, the president of SCCA. Let's see what he says!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #32
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Hah! I bite my thumb at your definition!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

"A sports car is type of automobile designed for sporting performance. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition such as when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on corners."

There are plenty of ways to define it, but your "official" definition?
Looks like its right there,your opinion differs,but the correct definition is right there in bold.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #33
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
OK, just for fun (and this should be fun, even if we're arguing)...

I emailed Jim Julow, the president of SCCA. Let's see what he says!
Awesome!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #34
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
I asked you, with all due respect, to name your official source for that definition. I want to see it, maybe you can end the argument with a WIN!

Meanwhile, there are literally hundreds of articles like the following, all in agreement that the definition is not as narrow as you claim.

Here's a good example:
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-11-2006-88657.asp

ROCKLAND, I getcha -- you did say "fuck a scion owner", which I reacted to, maybe you meant just that one and weren't generalizing.
My official source is myself. I've been around the block to know the answer to this one,I worked on a race team that was onsight to a race track. But what do I know,its only my trained profession.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #35
Motorhead6T5

"A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars."

Same article
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #36
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Interesting that none of your quotes include front or rear wheel drive in the definition (and neither did any I found) -- therefore, are you willing to drop that detail?