Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
lol at the Glorified Datsun
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Stargate YARlantIS

almost like a 240 on steroids
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
How about a few YW members can get together and trade in a bunch of our cars for one of these??!
We'd have to rebadge it a Yaris/Vitz to keep it fresh and load it up with our goodies

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
this car is so over rated its not funny anymore lol. Not that i dont like it , its just too much hype from the Grand Turismo/NFS crowd. I'd take an 09 M3 over this , handles way better and more precise in driving. BUT The GT-R is very nice i agree
The M3's are nice but I happen to love Nissan's looks and performance. Nissan quality...not so much.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
engelm_
Yea, I'm Awesome

Drives: 08' Sedan
Send a message via AIM to engelm_
Quote:
How about a few YW members can get together and trade in a bunch of our cars for one of these??!

HAHAHA< just for ONE!!!

(+410 posts prior 10/18/08; Real Join Date: Jan 2008)

"Haha i would never call your car conservative." Richie Perrette
engelm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
this car is so over rated its not funny anymore lol. Not that i dont like it , its just too much hype from the Grand Turismo/NFS crowd. I'd take an 09 M3 over this , handles way better and more precise in driving. BUT The GT-R is very nice i agree
Quote:
i can't really say nissans are bad quality , and the reason i'm not that hyped up about the GT-R is that its too talked about and in reality is not that extraordinary. It's too heavy and bulky for my taste. i prefer quick and nimble over quick and huge.
The Skyline is hyped up and talked about because it IS an EXTRAORDINARY car. It's a car that makes any competent driver a really good driver. Comparing the R35 Skyline GTR to the E92 M3 is like comparing apples to oranges. 2 different cars built for 2 different purposes.

Weight difference between the 2 is only about 110lbs so they are both pretty heavy. Both are extraordinary cars though, but the Skyline is in a different league of its own
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #25
Stargate YARlantIS

honestly, If I were going to make that large of a purchase, I'd go for an Aston Martin
DBr9
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Actually it's slower and has worse lateral acceleration (C&D, Oct. 08). It only rated as a better driving experience because it's rear drive. True sports car enthusiasts hate driving AWD cars. I think the Audi R8 was the AWD exception, but it's mid engine...

Car and driver also sit on BMW's dick. They always or usually pick a BMW. They are nice cars but there are other ones just as good.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #27
Nigal

Quote:
i'm not disagreeing that it is a great car , i just find that there are better options out there. now i wouldn't say no to a skyline if someone gave it to me , but I would put my money elsewhere just my humble opinion. the other thing that bothers me about the skyline that ther is a risk of it being in the hands of inept drivers that will just wrap it around a pole, just like the Enzos and other supercars.
One place we can compare apples to apples is by asking, "What kind of car can I get for the same money?". For about $10-$15,000 less you could have a Lutos Exige, which may not have the ball crushing bhp of the Nissan it would be much more fun to drive and IMHO it is more impressive looking...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #28
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thej3sta2 View Post
ive seen them fly for real they do have wings.
They must be pumping Red Bull into it. Really nice car, the best skyline ever and one of the best Japanese Production cars ever. I can't wait until corvette owners get taken to school. The only thing I've been lucky enough to lineup to is an R8.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #29
deadworld

Drives: 2007 4dr yaris
Quote:
-Can only launch the car 15 times before the transmission gives out. The most Nissan has got was 34 launches.
-The fluid lists at 80 dollars a quart. It costs dealerships 49.99 a quart. The car takes 10 quarts.
-The warranty depends on the driving, there is a black box in it just like an airplane.
-Customers have to sign a waiver stating they will not complain about brake or transmission noise.
-The brakes MUST be replaced at the same time, cost for replacing 6500.
-If something goes wrong other than an oil change at the dealership, a special team needs to be called and your outta a car for a while.

And check out this poor fellow
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361
deadworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #30
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworld View Post
Quote:
-Can only launch the car 15 times before the transmission gives out. The most Nissan has got was 34 launches.
-The fluid lists at 80 dollars a quart. It costs dealerships 49.99 a quart. The car takes 10 quarts.
-The warranty depends on the driving, there is a black box in it just like an airplane.
-Customers have to sign a waiver stating they will not complain about brake or transmission noise.
-The brakes MUST be replaced at the same time, cost for replacing 6500.
-If something goes wrong other than an oil change at the dealership, a special team needs to be called and your outta a car for a while.

And check out this poor fellow
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361
Jesus, Mary and Joseph! If this is all true, what a waste of money! Reading that guy's account of his experience goes to show that sometimes there can be too much technology between the driver and the road.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #31
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
His GT-R will break down more often than yours Yaris will.

My other car is a 2009 Z51 Corvette...The Nissan is probably more reliable than that, but the 'Vette has been a nightmare ever since I got it (5 weeks ago).
It's been so bad that I now plan on selling it and driving my new "winter car" (Yaris) year 'round. (Wanna' buy a nearly new 'Vette at a good price?)

The car I had before the Corvette was an '07 Acura TL Type S. That had issues, too, though it was admittedly reliable.

There are lots of issues and problems that go with owning and driving fast, expensive cars. They aren't all they're cracked up to be. I never realized that until owning, driving and losing money on a few.

I drove my '09 Yaris (with TRD suspension) today for the first time. (I am picking it up a week from Thursday.) I found the car's honesty, simplicity and overall build quality quite refreshing. I got the base model 3 door hatch with the 5 speed manual and the option group (stereo, etc.). The car's acceleration surprised me - even right off idle. It rode nice (even with the TRD), seemed reasonably quiet for a car in this class and felt "Toyota tight."
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
bdc87

Thats what you get for buying an overpriced sports car. For an American car I'd recommend a variant of the Mustang like a Shelby or Saleen the New GT500 is badass. Also lotus has setup here and have the elise,1984lbs 0-60 in 4.9 0-100 in 12.9 and 24mpg.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #33
09TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc87 View Post
Thats what you get for buying an overpriced sports car. For an American car I'd recommend a variant of the Mustang like a Shelby or Saleen the New GT500 is badass. Also lotus has setup here and have the elise,1984lbs 0-60 in 4.9 0-100 in 12.9 and 24mpg.
Don't give me that Mustang crap.

I paid $50K for this brand new, Z51 equipped Corvette and that includes several options (Z51, competition gray wheels, transparent top, 2LT interior and two tone seats). The car runs 12.4/117 MPH quarter miles, runs 0 - 100 MPH in 9 seconds flat and tops out at 190 MPH. Its brakes will put you through the windshield at triple digit speeds if you're not buckled up and it corners like it's on rails. It also gets 26 MPG highway EPA.

NONE of those Mustangs can touch that combination nor do any of those Mustangs feature an all aluminum, 4 wheel independent suspension. The Mustangs all feature a solid rear axle, front struts, steel/iron suspension arms and, as such, are the rough equivalent of a 1982 Camaro in terms of suspension. The GT500 engine is a heavy (cast iron block), gas swilling pig and the car itself weighs TWO TONS. The Z51 Corvette will run circles around it on a road racing course without even breaking a sweat.

I have owned two new Mustangs, one new Z28 Camaro ('99 LS1 1LE) and this 2009 Z51 Corvette. There is nothing you can "recommend" to me about any of those cars.

Sadly, ALL of them use junk, sub-standard components and therefore aren't well made, reliable cars.

I don't need to hear the "that's what you get" stuff from you or anyone else. I knew I was taking a gamble when I bought the car. I lost the bet; that's all.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #34
09TRD

Quote:
really Vettes are badly made? never driven one , but always wanted to see if they are really handling .
Handling, braking and acceleration are simply PHENOMENAL.

The car is actually well made and nicely put together underneath and in the engine compartment.
Paint and fit/finish is much better than it used to be.

The problem is with the interior and the power accessories/electrical components.

The seats are absolute junk; the Yaris seats are more comfortable and supportive and far more durable.

Both stereos (base and optional bLose) in the Corvette sound like junk for a car in this price level.
The stereos in my '04 and '06 Accord EXs sounded MUCH better and the seats in the '06 Accord coupe
were VASTLY superior to the Corvette's).

Here's my first FIVE WEEK'S worth of experiences with my '09 Corvette:

- My driver's side seat belt mechanism is RATTLING over various
bumps - sometimes LOUDLY. I'm going to have to take more time
out of work and rent a car on my own dime while it get's "fixed"
(and, more than likely, doesn't get fixed while something else gets
hosed up).

- Front license plate bracket (stick-on, almost laughable it's so
pathetic) began to sag and cut into my paint after just 81 miles. I
spent nearly two hours working the area with "Quixx" (fantastic
product!) and $100 on an aftermarket plate bracket (Top Flight) that
works like the factory bracket SHOULD.

- I had the passenger side power window regulator/motor replaced
just two weeks ago due to excessive noise and intermittent
operation; the dealer chipped my rocker panel while it was there
and then denied it.

- That same dealership gave me heat about having warranty work
(window motor) done there because I bought the car from another
dealership that beat their deal by $5,000. I got grilled by FOUR
different people in the "service" department, including questions on
what I paid for the car and threats about how I wouldn't be treated
as one of their customers because I didn't buy the car there. Then
they told me that the dealer I bought it from "isn't a reputable
dealer." So now I don't feel comfortable taking the car ANYWHERE
for warranty work, since four other Chevy dealers who were once in
this area are now out of business. (The bad dealer experience occurred
at Barry's in Middletown, RI - AVOID IT! They're arrogant
rip-off artists.)

- I complained to GM about the dealership experience; GM called the dealership
and GAVE THEM MY NAME! I've since been told by the dealership that
I am "no longer welcome" there because I "complained to GM" about them.

- There's a molding defect (golf ball size dimple) in the driver's side
door outer panel near the window base. That portion of the door
would have to be stripped, filled, sanded and the entire door panel
repainted in order for it to be "fixed," since paintless dent removal
won't work on plastics. Repainting a panel can create other issues
(e.g. paint not matching, overspray...), so I have to live with this -
with no compensation whatsoever from GM.

- The passenger side "A" pillar molding is blistering and various
other interior panels have more minor defects in what is clearly
inferior plastic. Just RUBBING this plastic mars the finish.

- "No Fob Detected" occasionally when I try to shut the car off with
the fob/keys in my pocket. The fob (with my keys attached) have to
be out of my pocket - and stored "somewhere" in a car with very
limited space. Why not just use a standard style ignition so I can
store the keys where they belong (i.e. in the ignition switch, which
would also prove more reliable over the long term)?

- I spent $850 to have the driver's seat reconstructed. (The seat
now feels AWESOME, though no better than it could feel from the
factory if GM spent another $25 or so per seat).
Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #35
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc87 View Post
Plus, the Lotus is powered by Toyota, so at least reliability on the motor might be decent I think we had a member here that owned an Elise...
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
bdc87

Not to give you any grief but the Shelby GT500 "Super Snake" does 0–60-mph in 4.4sec and 1/4 mile in 12.5sec at 120mph. Just saying there are mustangs that are as fast in straightline performance. I'll give the corvette the edge in the turns unless it goes against the Boy Racer. And theres custom mustangs that can pull 9sec 1/4 mile times for less then 10K. It's good that you:
Quote:
Sadly, ALL of them use junk, sub-standard components and therefore aren't well made, reliable cars.
and
Quote:
knew I was taking a gamble when I bought the car. I lost the bet; that's all
But if you could agree with me that europeans make the best sports cars then I think we can go about our days. Besides we both own a Yaris and we know why.

PS: I dislike people who buy their performance instead of building it because it's not realy yours unless you used your two hands to make it.
PSS: I'm mustang bias because I used to have a 12sec 92GT and a 05 V6.
PSSS: For you in Canada you know what I'm talking about or atleast your reviewers do because of the Mustang being named Canadian Car of the Year. The Canadians get it, I love Canada.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote