Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #397
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
mine has 7700km on it, so it isn't too new
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #398
foober
 
Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: kalispell, montana
Posts: 351
Thanks stuffy for doing that experiment. I would think that fast starts and running the engine hard would eat up more gas. My little lift back yaris has so much pep to it I'm having a hard time not going faster than any other car on the road. I'm really amazed how much zip my yaris has. It loves to cruise at 80 miles an hour on the highway. And i'm always having to try and slow down. The liftback just wants to go fast. And I'm still getting 38+ miles to the gallon. I really want to trade my toyota tacoma truck in and get another yaris but I really need a truck.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #399
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
yeah, i had beenconsciously taking it easy up to this point because i wanted to see how good the fuel economy could be, but i also wanted to see what happens to the fuel economy when you push it a bit.
i'm sure evereyone here has different driving styles, and with such wildly different fuel economy reports, i wanted to see for myself.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #400
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Drives: A Super Car
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota, US of A!
Posts: 830
I have a question regarding a/c, yes I know it eats at your gas milage especially if your going up hill on a hot day, but I usually don't use my a/c, only if really needed then I turn it off, anyway since I don't use it, I usually just turn the dial to cold and have the air flow come from the out side, like the vent symbol and the symbol for when the air comes from beneth the dash? Know what I talking about? Its the setting where air comes out of the vents on either side of the cabin but not the middle ones (at least not as strong-hope that made sense) Even if the day is "warm" at least not above 80, it gets fairly cold or at least keeps me cool but I didn't push in my a/c button, I'm I still eating away at gas but not as much if I had my a/c button on? I assume obviously the condenser or whatever is still working just not extra hard cause the a/c is not on, but I don't know the technicalities of it, any help or anwser would be appreciated.
__________________
You may look good on the beach but in reality you're a pompus, egotistical jerk. "I was never on the beach with you..."and you never will.
ECHOKnight2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #401
NickNickNick
 
Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 96
Update:

608km on 36.5L. All city driving.

6.0L/100km
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #402
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Here is my update:

628 km for 42.929 liters. That is 14.63 km per liter, or
41.348 mpg Imperial, or
34.45 mpg US, or
6.835 liters per 100/km.

The A/C was on many times and the time ratio between city and highway driving has been about 35/65%.
Warm weather helps.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:29 AM   #403
Ryu
 
Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 503
Swng, the fuel capacity for the yaris is 42Litres, isn't it?
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #404
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
I have a question regarding a/c, yes I know it eats at your gas milage especially if your going up hill on a hot day, but I usually don't use my a/c, only if really needed then I turn it off, anyway since I don't use it, I usually just turn the dial to cold and have the air flow come from the out side, like the vent symbol and the symbol for when the air comes from beneth the dash? Know what I talking about? Its the setting where air comes out of the vents on either side of the cabin but not the middle ones (at least not as strong-hope that made sense) Even if the day is "warm" at least not above 80, it gets fairly cold or at least keeps me cool but I didn't push in my a/c button, I'm I still eating away at gas but not as much if I had my a/c button on? I assume obviously the condenser or whatever is still working just not extra hard cause the a/c is not on, but I don't know the technicalities of it, any help or anwser would be appreciated.
Well actually, I think that's the only way to get a/c without push the a/c button. Its to turn the nob pointing to 'air out to dash'. I am sure that is using a/c because its a heck lot cooler. so instead, might as well use the a/c so it points directly to ya. ha ha.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #405
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Swng, the fuel capacity for the yaris is 42Litres, isn't it?
Yes, officially it is 42 litres. However, if you fill up your tank until it almost spills, you will be able to squeeze in more than that amount, presuming that you start with an almost empty tank. Frankly, I do not recommend that you do so. I do that just to improve the accuracy of my mpg calculations.
Some previous pages of this thread contain more discussions on this subject.
Thanks for your interest Ryu!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #406
Ryu
 
Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 503
Thanks for your explanation Swng, then that make sense.

However, I go fill up after 1 bar is gone cuz of the cheaper gas price,
and it turns out 9.621L for 143.2km, which is 6.718L/100km.
I thought the car will stay around 7.3L/100km forever cuz of about 10 fill up after I got the car. I just got 6.92L/100km last fill, it seems getting better and better now.

This car is full of surprise
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #407
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Drives: A Super Car
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota, US of A!
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Well actually, I think that's the only way to get a/c without push the a/c button. Its to turn the nob pointing to 'air out to dash'. I am sure that is using a/c because its a heck lot cooler. so instead, might as well use the a/c so it points directly to ya. ha ha.

Thanks for your anwser...but you are right about staying cool without pushing the button, if I flip the lever so the air circulates within the cabin it starts to get warm but when I flip it to circulate air from the outside it cools down. Thanks again.
__________________
You may look good on the beach but in reality you're a pompus, egotistical jerk. "I was never on the beach with you..."and you never will.
ECHOKnight2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #408
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Update:

415 clicks / 33 Litre
7.95 L/100km 35.54 mpg.
Number one, it was all cities. Two, I blasted my a/c like there is no tomorrow lately, it's been 33+ as of late. Even during the night is pretty hot.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #409
fearturtle44
 
Drives: S Flint Mica
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 209
Selecting the fresh air setting only brings in the outside air. So if it is 95 degrees outside, then this setting will NOT do any good. Only the AC button will help. However, on those cool morning or cool evenings, the fresh air setting might be all that is needed.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #410
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
If you wish to rely solely or heavily on the "cool" air from outside, please consider buying a sun shade to prevent the sun from shining directly into your car while it is parked. Even the most expensive types should be quite affordable and they are effective. In the long run, because of the resultant reduction of the A/C's workload and hence improvement in fuel economy, the sun shade will pay for itself.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #411
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole
 
spacemanoeuvres's Avatar
 
Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 119
Just filled up for the first time on Saturday.

Liftback took 11.009 gallons with the odometer on 395.

That's approx 35.9 (US) miles per gallon...meh, not great

Driving was 65/35 highway/city and I had the AC running about 65-75% of the city miles.

The car seems to do much better with the AC off.
__________________
we am spase peepole
spacemanoeuvres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #412
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Drives: A Super Car
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota, US of A!
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Selecting the fresh air setting only brings in the outside air. So if it is 95 degrees outside, then this setting will NOT do any good. Only the AC button will help. However, on those cool morning or cool evenings, the fresh air setting might be all that is needed.

Kevin

You are totally right on that...especially when its like 90 and above or even 80 but in my experience any day below 80 degrees, even with the fresh air setting, it gets pretty cool and I'm surprised as this is from the out side air as you were explaining so Sure it may take a little longer to cool than a/c but overall it works, maybe most people won't be satisfied with it but I'm skinny and I'm pretty much a passive person generally speaking so I don't mind as long as I'm comfterable-each to his/her own. If I put on the circulation for internal only, and not coming from the outside it starts to get "warm" but if I switch it back it "cools" the cabin down, so I'm not complaining. Even summer evenings it cools down pretty nicely.
__________________
You may look good on the beach but in reality you're a pompus, egotistical jerk. "I was never on the beach with you..."and you never will.
ECHOKnight2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #413
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
If you wish to rely solely or heavily on the "cool" air from outside, please consider buying a sun shade to prevent the sun from shining directly into your car while it is parked. Even the most expensive types should be quite affordable and they are effective. In the long run, because of the resultant reduction of the A/C's workload and hence improvement in fuel economy, the sun shade will pay for itself.
Couldn't agree more and I believe this is a cheap effective idea. Even if you have tinted your side windows, you could not tint your front dash windows, so a sun shade would be kick in nicely.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #414
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Just filled up again. Went 447 miles and used 10.106 gallons of gas. That is 44.23 mpg US.

That is 5.32 liters/100 km.

Since I've had the car, I've driven 932 miles and used 21.64 gallons of gas. That is 43.07 mpg US and 5.46 liters/100 km.

I can tell my car is finally starting to loosen up a bit. I hope the increase in gas mileage continues.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.