Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #37
CAyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to CAyaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
hey Carlos, thanks for the correction on the front mount intake -- I didn't know about it. However, since the OP doesn't know what a MAF is, I think it's probably not his best choice.

CAyaris, get a drop-in filter and enjoy it.
Ok so with a drop in filter what is my advantage im taking your advice on this. And which one should i get from you. And whats install like
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #38
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
There really is no install with a drop in. It is simply a filter replacement.

Big black box located in front of battery. Two metal clips, one on left side, one on right. Flip the clips, lift up the top of box, pull out white fiber filter, drop in new one, replace top, snap clips back into place.

Done.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
CAyaris

ok so simple now is the drop in going to help with mpg. and is modifying the black box going to mess with anything like if i but a plexi glass window on the dop of the box so u could see the new filter?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #40
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
That would be hard to do and would have to be perfectly air tight since it would be downstream of the filter. Unless you're one hell of a fabricator I'd choose another less complicated mod.

I took the factory snorkel off my stock air box and added a stainless mesh screen to keep he larger debris and critters out. Cost $2.50. I get cold sweats when I think of finding a nest in an air box or holes chewed through a filter. I took some pics and might do the world's simplest DIY on it. It is reversible in about 30 seconds.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #41
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you're going to mod the airbox, you might as well buy an intake instead. The AFE intake comes with its own airbox, but no top so you can see the intake. I will disagree with anyone who posted it's not a worthwhile mod, it makes a few horsepower and you may get better mileage (assuming you don't drive differently). And it looks and sounds great.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #42
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAyaris View Post
like if i but a plexi glass window on the dop of the box so u could see the new filter?
Now you're just getting silly.

There is nothing sexy about a drop in worth showing off.

Also, a pretty much useless thing to do if for visually inspecting the filter. The plexi would be on the clean air side.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #43
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
I will disagree with anyone who posted it's not a worthwhile mod, it makes a few horsepower and you may get better mileage (assuming you don't drive differently). And it looks and sounds great.
Anyone who says they can feel a 4hp difference is lying to themselves. I agree it sounds better and looks good but that's about it. Plus the guy is about to spend $170 on something that MAY get him better mileage. That seems silly to me. How long will it be before he makes up for that $170 at the pump? A year?

Look if you really wanna buy it because it looks a lot better then go for it. I'm not against spending money on cosmetics. Which if you are trying to replace the top of your stock airbox with plexi then that's probably what this really is.

EDIT: and also your first mod usually gets you kind of addicted to modding so I can see a CAI being a little more worthwhile in the long run if end up modding more things. the accumulation of a few hp, here and there, with each mod makes more of a difference, obviously.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #44
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
the accumulation of a few hp, here and there, with each mod makes more of a difference, obviously.
exactly. With intake, exhaust, crank pulley and header, I made 107 whp. You can feel that.

Quote:
How long will it be before he makes up for that $170 at the pump? A year?
Maybe longer. About a year and a half if he gets +2 mpg and drives 20,000 miles/year. Every year after that is saving money. Your point?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #45
frownonfun

point being it doesn't make very good financial sense to spend that much on the off chance that it MIGHT save you a couple dollars a month, two years from now. put your money in a damn mutual fund or cd if you really wanna make a few bucks in a couple years.

and again, i say, if it's more for cosmetic purposes then go for it, but let's not trick ourselves into thinking a CAI makes for a good, sound financial investment.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #46
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
let's not trick ourselves into thinking a CAI makes for a good, sound financial investment.
Since when is modding a Yaris in any way, shape or form a sound financial investment? I don't think anyone claimed anything close to that - you're trying to create an argument out of nothing.

If YOU don't want to spend the money on your car, don't. If, with the information and answers, he wants to, so be it.

Regardless, I think the OP's questions have been answered, yes?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #47
darkMINI

Drives: 08 hatch
The CAI's are really loud on these little cars. Just a warning. I personally use a drop-in high-flow filter with part of the bottom of the airbox removed. Still pretty loud, louder than my Dynomax exhaust.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #48
CAyaris

Quote:
Since when is modding a Yaris in any way, shape or form a sound financial investment? I don't think anyone claimed anything close to that - you're trying to create an argument out of nothing.

If YOU don't want to spend the money on your car, don't. If, with the information and answers, he wants to, so be it.

I spend good amounts of cash on my car, but just because i havent gotten an intake or want to be different you are coming back at me it seems.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #49
frownonfun

Quote:

Easy Garm. I'm actually not trying to create an argument at all. And I've said on several occasions I got no problem with people spending money on their car. Why would I? It's their car. I also have no problem spending money on my own car.

In his original post, CAyaris said...

Quote:
My question is about the intake. Will it raise my gas milege.
Because of that question, I assumed he was looking to up his mileage to, IDK, save money. He has repeatedly said he is looking for something that raises his mpgs. I'm merely pointing out that while this MIGHT save you miles per gallon, it isn't going to actually save you any money for a long while. So if saving money is the ultimate goal then maybe your money could be put to better use. I don't think that's all that unreasonable of a position.

However, if looks is playing into the OPs decision as well, then by all means, buy an intake. Just want him to know he probably won't actually be doing himself a favor in the "saving money" department.

On a side not, I've wasted sooo much money on the Yaris out of complete ignorance and I'm just trying to help this guy out cause he seems to know about as much as I did when I first got my car.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #50
frownonfun

Quote:
I spend good amounts of cash on my car, but just because i havent gotten an intake or want to be different you are coming back at me it seems.

I don't think Garm was saying anything towards you. It's cool. He's just trying to help you out. As am I. Obviously at the end of the day, what you do to your car is up to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #51
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
too long? sorry

just put my afe in along with the hk1 exhaust i got from jumpman (thanks again) i did it with my buddy the intake took a little longer than we thought i have an alarm and the siren for it just clears the box it was tight and we had to cut the seal other than that it's in there fine only other thing we noticed was theres no where to clip in one of the hose connectors (not sure what its called its just to the left of the MAF ahah) but i found a place to wedge it in. the exhaust was simple it is a lot louder than i expected but its cool im gonna roll with it for a while. yeah im not sure how much these 2 mods will effect mpg's but i guess its different for everyones driving style. but i do feel some difference in the pickup now its a little faster than stock i mean at least it seems that way. either way i like the way it drives now just gotta get the rear sway bar in it got to cold before to finish ahha maybe a vid soon.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afein.jpg (176.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg hk1.jpg (147.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg hk1on.jpg (162.6 KB, 146 views)
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #52
frownonfun

looks good.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #53
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
^^^ thanks thanks gotta get this sway bar in we were looking at how it would go and didnt want to get into it

and hey i just noticed i went to look at that diy sway bar thread that cali started and the pics are gone!! what the fugg? any one know bout this

Last edited by matthewai; 02-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #54
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Taking out the seats makes it a much, much lighter car, and it accelerates much harder.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote