Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #37
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
I got mine today, had to go to work before I could spend a lot of time messing with it. Its surprisingly thinner than I had imagined. Its light, but doesnt seem flimsy. I was able to plug it in and configure engine size and tank size. The default gauges you start off with are instant mpg and average mpg. Display looks clean and is pretty big. I like the screen a lot better than the SG one.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #38
OTB

Drives: 2zz MR-2 Spyder
Ultragauge review

So, I ran a Scangauge II for a year, and when I saw the info on the ultragauge (thanks to the original poster), I decided to sell the SCII for more money than my brand new UG.

SO.......I like it way better than Scangauge! It can display 6 gauges simultaneously and 3X that on the different gauge screens. I like the display, two of the six are in large font, larger than the scangauge can display. The color is a good blueish/grayscale with good automatic backlight (still user adjustable, but it seems good day and night, and compensates for ambient light conditions.)

I basically use it for water temp, rpm, intake air temp. For troubleshooting beyond "trouble codes" it does come in handy to use the other gauges.

You cannot use this as an instantaneous tach. Even with only two gauges turned on and all other alarms turned off, I tried to use an alarm as a "shift light." Not gonna happen. Way too much lag for a shift light. Maybe (big maybe) if all you did was drag race-you could find just the right lag (like 3200 rpm alarm) that would time things just right for a shift alarm, but for road course or autocross, no chance.

I personally don't really give two f___s about fuel economy/range/etc, so I can't comment on those functions, but it seems to certainly be capable of the same measurements that scangauge can do.

I just use tin snips to cut then bend an "L" out of an old license plate, velcroed the L to the steering column, and zip-tied the x-shaped bracket that holds the display to the vertical of the L. Works awesome, mounted it in 5 minutes.

I declare scangauge obsolete.

cheers
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #39
awdblazer

Drives: 1998 toyota rav4
post pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
So, I ran a Scangauge II for a year, and when I saw the info on the ultragauge (thanks to the original poster), I decided to sell the SCII for more money than my brand new UG.

SO.......I like it way better than Scangauge! It can display 6 gauges simultaneously and 3X that on the different gauge screens. I like the display, two of the six are in large font, larger than the scangauge can display. The color is a good blueish/grayscale with good automatic backlight (still user adjustable, but it seems good day and night, and compensates for ambient light conditions.)

I basically use it for water temp, rpm, intake air temp. For troubleshooting beyond "trouble codes" it does come in handy to use the other gauges.

You cannot use this as an instantaneous tach. Even with only two gauges turned on and all other alarms turned off, I tried to use an alarm as a "shift light." Not gonna happen. Way too much lag for a shift light. Maybe (big maybe) if all you did was drag race-you could find just the right lag (like 3200 rpm alarm) that would time things just right for a shift alarm, but for road course or autocross, no chance.

I personally don't really give two f___s about fuel economy/range/etc, so I can't comment on those functions, but it seems to certainly be capable of the same measurements that scangauge can do.

I just use tin snips to cut then bend an "L" out of an old license plate, velcroed the L to the steering column, and zip-tied the x-shaped bracket that holds the display to the vertical of the L. Works awesome, mounted it in 5 minutes.

I declare scangauge obsolete.

cheers
awdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #40
OTB

Drives: 2zz MR-2 Spyder
Fine!

OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #41
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
I also declare scanguage old school...it has been reduced to duty in my tacoma and it looks good in a truck interior..imo.
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #42
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I inquired about dealer/wholesale pricing:

Quote:
Garm,

There will be a significant product enhancement release in February. Please check back with us after the release.

Best regards,

UltraGauge Support
http://www.ultra-gauge.com
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #43
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Doh!

Hope its a bigger screen and TOUCH screen as well. (When I first saw it I was expecting both)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #44
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

My replacement ultragauge came in and its working fine. I mounted it using the bent license plate technique described earlier and worked like a champ. Very Nice.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #45
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
can you please find out when the metrics will be supported ?
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #46
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
I'm almost positive they can be switched to Metric, since Canada also uses that backward-assed system. :p can somebody please verify this?
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #47
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I "skimmed" the user manual and also did a "find" on it and found no mention of metric units.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #48
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
When you click on the gauges link from the main page, on their web site it says right after the 1st paragraph," Please note: UltraGauge currently does not support metric units."
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #49
Drama
sprocket

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr
I got one 3 weeks ago, And so far I love it.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #50
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
I know. it doesn't support metrics :( but do you know if they plan to implement it ?
can somebody make a video how the gauge works ?
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #51
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

The only gauge not available to me that I'd really like to have is "Ambient Air Temperature" (amb temp) which I thought the yaris could do because I thought the sensor for that was in the front in the bumper on the drivers side... oh well. So I have it on intake temp which is no where near outside air temp... Gauge setup:

A- Instant MPG
B- Tachometer
C- Engine Temp in F
D- Intake Temp in F
E- Fuel Level
F- Avg MPG

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
The only gauge not available to me that I'd really like to have is "Ambient Air Temperature" (amb temp) which I thought the yaris could do because I thought the sensor for that was in the front in the bumper on the drivers side... oh well. So I have it on intake temp which is no where near outside air temp... Gauge setup:

A- Instant MPG
B- Tachometer
C- Engine Temp in F
D- Intake Temp in F
E- Fuel Level
F- Avg MPG

2010+ Yaris respond to the ambient temp PID (so perhaps ambient will work on them). Pre-2010's don't, so the only way to use the AC's ambient temp sensor is to ask the AC ECU for ambient temp (which is what I do with the YarGauge).
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #53
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

That's cool Scott, hence why your gauge will be better suited for the specific use in a Yais. The other complaint I have with the UltraGauge is it's update speed. It is currently once per second, but it sure would be nice if it were a half or a third of that at least (2 or 3 times per second). I would be very happy with 3 times a second. Is that a limitation of the gauge or the CAN bus itself?

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the new gauge, just saying it could be better.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #54
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
That's cool Scott, hence why your gauge will be better suited for the specific use in a Yais. The other complaint I have with the UltraGauge is it's update speed. It is currently once per second, but it sure would be nice if it were a half or a third of that at least (2 or 3 times per second). I would be very happy with 3 times a second. Is that a limitation of the gauge or the CAN bus itself?

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the new gauge, just saying it could be better.
There's a limit with CAN OBD as to how frequently you can send requests. When a device like the Ultragauge is displaying multiple pieces of data at one time (and where some like MPG require 3 separate requests to perform the calculation) they quickly hit the limit. The way around that is to decode the OEM messages that fly across the bus between systems, but that makes it manufacturer specific.