Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #37
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
op, i found exactly what you want, only problem.....it's in houston
http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1805210889.html
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #38
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by risamuels View Post
Having last Friday bought a 2007 automatic Yaris sedan, I agree with Yaris Hilton that modding is for the young (and the young at heart). I bought my Yaris for the mileage and for the hope that with 18k miles, it'll last me for ten years, a decade of not having to think about my car beyond normal maintenance. That's peace of mind at a great price ($8900).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliwackGuy View Post
I'm a straight 250K a day commuter - often I'm fighting fatigue / boredom / nausea - so I went for an Automatic - less thinking - and yeah less gas mileage - but less worry. (Bought my car on June 5, 10 - and so far I am happy to not have to worry about gear shifting.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
op, i found exactly what you want, only problem.....it's in houston
http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1805210889.html
err... OP was last year.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #39
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'm perfectly happy with my automatic.

Then again, I have no interest in souping up my engine, modding suspension, wheels & tires or any of that stuff. I've built hotrods in the past and gotten it out of my system. It's a lot of work getting modified engines and powertrains to work decently, and they'll never be as flexible and reliable as the stock configuration that the huge corporations with nearly unlimited resources have spent years developing. Once you've got the hopped up configuration working, you can be obnoxious blasting off from traffic lights and such, but you've got to drive on the same roads with the same traffic and speed limits as everybody else, and you can't race around all the time before something's going to catch up with you, either the law or the laws of physics that make you more likely to crash. And you endanger others in the process. No matter what kind of horsepower you've got, if you have any sort of sense of responsibility and self-preservation, there's always some kid in an old Neon who's got less and will hold his foot to the pedal after you back off and beat you. Around town, sticking to the speed limits, I either catch up at the red lights with the boy racers, or if I've been watching and timing the lights properly, roll by them just as the light changes.
+eleventy

No issues with an automatic. TSome things to consider is, possibly a tranny rebuild with better clutch packs,
modified valves and solenoids, and an external tranny cooler with electric fans, if you want to build a Q-ship on an automatic...and not melt the tranny early and keep it as a daily driver....

I have had my fun racing motorcycles on the track for years, and blasting around on the roads in souped up micros...I got it out of my system for all the reasons stated above. Now I putz around in the 4runner or Yaris at normal speeds because 'fitting in' goes a lot further than 'loud music, fart cans, and 3fast3furious behaviour' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #40
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
I'm a straight 250K a day commuter - often I'm fighting fatigue / boredom / nausea - so I went for an Automatic - less thinking - and yeah less gas mileage - but less worry. (Bought my car on June 5, 10 - and so far I am happy to not have to worry about gear shifting.)

250K a day?!? No wonder you're tired!

But I too prefer the simplicity of the auto, and if I'm bored I can shift through the gears without having to worry about a clutch!

Cheers! M2
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #41
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
The Yaris has a brilliant little automatic transmission that gets outstanding gas mileage. It doesn't necessarily get "less gas mileage" than the manual shift.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote